How 2 Re-Amp and Hear Backing Track at The Same Time?

I just tried with the settings I posted in the other re-amp thread and it works just fine with Duet as part of an Agragated Device with the Axe2. I then tried with my MBP's build-in audio and that works as well.

Settings were...just replace the Motu with the Duet, or whatever.,

Well...after reading some threads about this I figured I should post my settings for re-amping while monitoring the other tracks...
Pro Tools 10 with Motu 896 mk3
Aggregate device....
Motu...drift checked
Axe in...drift checked
Axe out drift not checked

Clock source is Axe out
Works with consistency
Works in Logic 9.1.6 and Cubase 6.05 even better since it will sample rate convert unlike in PT where u stuck with 48 K.

This is on OSX 10.7
I went and tried on Snow Leopard with ProTools 9 but I couldn't get it worked out yet since with the order of Motu first it wants to default to the Motu clock.

But yes this set-up works, as in been running stable for the last 3 hours on a 80+track session, the only time I lost sync was when I opened Axe-Edit after it crashed.

Also the difference between resample and drift is 10.6 to 10.7

But in Cubase it only allows me to choose one interface. Either my regular card or the AXE-FX II USB.
I cant find anyplace where I can choose different inputs and outputs from both I/Os
You need to use ASIO Multimedia or Asio Directx drivers for that. Low latency goes out the window but since we're talking re-amping it won't matter. In other PC apps like Samplitude or Sonar you'd use WDM drivers to use multiple interfaces.

I am having one issue when trying to set-up the AxeFX-II and the FF400 on Cakewalk Sonar X1 on ASIO mode: The Axe-FX Input and Output drivers are grey and can not be selected.

In order to sync at 48k I have connected an SPDIF cable from the AxeFX to the FF400 and set the FF400 clock source to External SPDIF. Anyway, I think that this is not related to the Axe-FX appearing in grey at Sonar.

AxeFX-II +FF400 + Sonar X1.jpg

If I disconnect the FF400 then I can use the Axe-FX with sonar, but I would like to use the FF400 to listen the backing tracks while re-ampling. I know it could be made using the FF400 analog I/O, but I woud like to keep things in the digital domain whenever possible.

I know Cliff has not gotten his head wrapped around how to implement this feature yet, but i know there is a workaround. What is/are my options??

I have a iMac i7 Quad core that also runs Windows 7 (I also have a Windows PC)

I have Logic,Reaper, Guitar Tracks Pro 4, Garageband etc...

Axe-Fx II , Apogee Duet(orig), Rokit 8 Monitors

I connect the Axe Fx with USB mostly, but also have a midi-uno that i use sometimes with Logic.

What do i need to do to hear the backing track when re-amping? Do i need to buy something else?

Please give me the version "For Dummies"

Your help is appreciated because this is a must have feature for me!!

Willowdate, it is easy to do with GarageBand.
I am on an iPhone, so it is too much to type.
Let me know if you are interested.
Maybe we can set up a chat or a phone call and I can give you the details.
I have a soundcloud track on one of my other threads that you can listen to.

GarageBand is so easy to use.
Maybe, I can do a quick write up after I get home.

Willowdate, it is easy to do with GarageBand.
I am on an iPhone, so it is too much to type.
Let me know if you are interested.
Maybe we can set up a chat or a phone call and I can give you the details.
I have a soundcloud track on one of my other threads that you can listen to.

GarageBand is so easy to use.
Maybe, I can do a quick write up after I get home.

This is certainly an old thread!! lol

Clarky had pretty much set me up with this using Logic with my Duet & Axe as an aggregate.

I would still like you to let me know how to do this easily using GarageBand though. I will look forward to your quick detailed write up! Thanks

This is certainly an old thread!! lol

Clarky had pretty much set me up with this using Logic with my Duet & Axe as an aggregate.

I would still like you to let me know how to do this easily using GarageBand though. I will look forward to your quick detailed write up! Thanks

Hello Willowdale

My setup is as follows:

AXE-FX II -->usb--> mac ---> monitor/headset

On your mac, bring up GB. Also bring up FINDER

via FINDER, locate the mp3 of your backing track

Drag a copy of that mp3 to the open area under your GB tracks column.
This will cause GB to create a new TRACK for that MP3

So, at this point, you should have that track in your GB project

Next, create a new track in your GB project (via upper left bar , click TRACK--pulldown to-->New Track...),
Designate this track as "NEW INSTRUMENT".
This will be the track that you will record into

Get your GB to receive a signal from your AXE-II
Un the upper left bar, click Garageband--pulldown to---Preferences.
Select Audio/MIDI

For Audio Output, be sure that it is set to "Built-In Output"
For Audio Inout, select "AXE-FX II Audio In"

You are almost ready to record.

In GB, highlight (click on) your AXE-FX track.
Now, on the right side of the GB screen, look for the "monitor" setting under "Track Info".
Make sure that Monitor is set to ON

Your almost ready. I notices that I sometime still do not get a signal.

Within GB, press to record (the big red dot).

After pressing record, you should hear your guitar being played.
You should also hear your backing track accompanying your playing.

Optional: at this point, you should continue to hear yourself even when recording is stopped.
You can actually press to just play the track and you can practice along with it until you are ready to record again.
You can create additional AXE-FX II tracks to record into (for comparison to previous recording tracks).
For each track, you can adjust volume, mute, pan, etc.

When you finally get the final recording good enough to share with the world (stardom), you can click on the SHARE---pulldown to--> Send to iTunes button.
That will forward you into iTunes where your track will begin to play.

Within iTunes, you can rename your track and you can convert it to the friendly MP3 format.

Let me know how this goes for you and if you have any trouble with it.

Best regards, Alex alopez1@austin.rr.com

Be blessed

Here goes.... and note, I don't have any of the kit in this solution apart from the Mac and Logic..
my set up is very different to yours so I'll try as best I can....

The Audio Interface [AI] is simply a device that enables you to get audio into and out of your computer. You have two of them, one is your Duet and the other resides within the AxeII. Both of them use USB to connect to the Mac and 1/4" jack cables to connect to other audio sources [guitars, mics, keys, fx-units] and destinations [monitors, fx-units, headphones etc].

Reamping is a two stage processes:
1 - you record the dry performance
2 - you use the recorded dry performance to play through an amp / fx-unit and record the 'wet' audio generated by the amp / fx-unit

whilst you are recording the dry performance you will want to:
- not actually hear the dry signal
- hear the wet signal [just like playing through your AxeII normally]
- hear the music you are playing along with

whilst you are reamping you will want to:
- not actually hear the dry signal
- hear the wet signal
- hear the music that the wet signal is playing along with [so you can mess with / improve it before committing to a recording]

Recording the dry signal USB channel requirements:
1 USB channel into the Mac to record the dry guitar
2 USB channels into the Mac or AI to allow the wet signal to sound within or along side the mix
2 USB channels out of the Mac to monitor the entire mix
with respect to the AI devices, you need a total of 2 in [from the Mac] and 3 out [to the Mac]

Recording the reamped signal USB channel requirements:
1 USB channel out of the Mac to get to the AxeII [to be the source audio as if it were a guitar playing through it]
2 USB channels from the AxeII into the Mac to record the AxeII's wet signal
2 USB channels out of the Mac to send the entire mix to the monitors
with respect to the AI devices, you need a total of 3 in [from the Mac - dry and entire mix] and 2 out [to the Mac - AxeII]

this is why most folks opt for a 4x4 external AI. It gives you enough channels in and out of the Mac.

Your audio interfaces [AI's]:
Deut:
2 in [cables] and therefore 2 out USB
4 out [cables] and therefore 4 in USB

AxeII:
2 in USB from Mac
4 out USB to Mac
with respect to cables there are multiple connections and selectable input and output options.

As you can see, neither of the individual AI's has enough in's and out's to handle reamping.
But if you use them together they do. Combining multiple AI's to create one big one is called creating an 'aggregate interface'.

Creating an Aggregate Interface:
open the Audio MIDI settings app [applications->utilities->audio MIDI Setup.app]
at the top of the window select Audio Devices. In here you can see the currently selected AI that is used as the Default Input and Default Output.
To create the Agg AI click on 'Audio' in the bar at the top of the screen and select 'open aggregate device editor'
this opens another window with a list of all recognised AI's.
click the '+' button to create a new one - you can double click on it to rename it to something more meaningful [ie: DuetAxe].
This next part is important - the order that the individual AI's are selected effects the input and output numbers in Logic.
You will be monitoring via the Duet USB channels 1-2 so tick 'use' on the Duet first, then tick 'use' for the AxeII.
Click 'done'.
Open Logic, and select this Agg AI [go to the bar at the top of the screen and click Logic Pro - then->Preferences->Audio]
This opens a new window where you can click on 'Device' and see all of your AI's including your Agg AI 'DuetAxe'.
Select 'DuetAxe' and then click 'apply changes'. Logic will go off and think about this for a a little less then a minute or so and then you're done.

Logic's channel strip inputs and outputs with an Agg AI:
As the Duet is your first AI, the numbering starts from here.
Inputs 1 and 2 are the Duet USB outs 1 and 2
Inputs 3 and 4 are the AxeII USB outs 0 and 1
Outputs 1 through 4 are the Duet's USB ins 1 through 4
Outputs 5 through 8 are the AxeII's USB ins 0 through 3

By default, the Logic channel strip called Out 1-2 is the master stereo out of the entire mix
this therefore uses out 1-2 which is USB in 1-2 on the Duet [and goes to your monitors]

Recording the dry:
create a mono audio channel strip and set the input to 7 [USB 2 out from the AxeII - your dry signal]
set this channel strip's output to 'no output' so you can't hear it in the mix.
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the dry to AxeII USB out2 - take a look at the manual.

create a stereo channel strip to playback the wet signal from the AxeII
set it's input to 5-6
[the USB outs 0-1 of the AxeII]
set it's output to Out 1-2 [so it plays to the master output with the rest of the mix.
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the stereo wet AxeII USB out 0-1 - take a look at the manual.

Arm recording on your 'dry' channel strip, play and record.
You are now recording just the dry signal and hearing the wet in the mix but not recording it.

after recording, disarm the dry channel strip to prevent recording over your performance.

Reamping:
set the output of your 'dry' channel strip to output 5 [AxeII USB in 0]
this sends the dry out to the AxeII.
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the AxeII USB in 0 to by the dry input - take a look at the manual.

set the input of your 'wet' channel strip to input 5-6 [the AxeII USB out 0-1]
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the AxeII Out1 L+R to USB out 0-1 - take a look at the manual.
arm the 'wet' channel strip and record.
the signal flow should be something like this:
- dry from Logic out 5 -> AxeII in 0 [this is 'playing the AxeII]
- wet Out 1 L+R from the AxeII USB 0-1 -> Logic input 5-6 [wet is being recorded]
- wet channel strip output 1-2 joins the rest of the mix at the master channel strip
- Logic master out 1-2 to the Duet -> monitors

Latency: I reckon there may be some here...
so long as there is no latency when you record the original dry track you'll be fine.
if there is latency when you record the reamped wet signal we can deal with it after it's been recorded.
you can cut a little space out of the recorded audio's region with the scissor tool [less than one beat is more than enough]
so maybe cut out beat 2 to beat 3 of the first bar [where this is no music, just the count in - cos you should never start the music bar 1 beat 1, always leave an empty bar at the front].
Then:
- zoom the arrange window width ways
- set the 'snap' to 'ticks'
- drag the region back a little, listen, if still out, drag a little more etc until you've corrected / compensated for the delay.

Note: my reamping process is much simpler and has no latency because I use a bigger AI that is fully routable internally.

erm... and I hope I've not made too many mistakes writing out all this...
it's really easily done.. so if anyone spots something shout... I doubt all that crap up above is 100% perfect..
but it should be reasonably close...

Hi !

Thank you very much for these posts. Although it is very clear, I cannot manage to figure it out. I am running logic x with apogee duet (original 1) and the axe fx2.

I have made an aggregate interface (I assume correctly) but when it goes to create the mono channel strip to record the dry signal I cannot find the ... input 7. Indeed, I have only 6 inputs. The same goes for the reamping step : I only have 4 outputs, not 8.

Please need help, maybe Willowdale ? ;-)

Thanx for the support.

Here goes.... and note, I don't have any of the kit in this solution apart from the Mac and Logic..
my set up is very different to yours so I'll try as best I can....

The Audio Interface [AI] is simply a device that enables you to get audio into and out of your computer. You have two of them, one is your Duet and the other resides within the AxeII. Both of them use USB to connect to the Mac and 1/4" jack cables to connect to other audio sources [guitars, mics, keys, fx-units] and destinations [monitors, fx-units, headphones etc].

Reamping is a two stage processes:
1 - you record the dry performance
2 - you use the recorded dry performance to play through an amp / fx-unit and record the 'wet' audio generated by the amp / fx-unit

whilst you are recording the dry performance you will want to:
  • not actually hear the dry signal
  • hear the wet signal [just like playing through your AxeII normally]
  • hear the music you are playing along with

whilst you are reamping you will want to:
  • not actually hear the dry signal
  • hear the wet signal
  • hear the music that the wet signal is playing along with [so you can mess with / improve it before committing to a recording]

Recording the dry signal USB channel requirements:
1 USB channel into the Mac to record the dry guitar
2 USB channels into the Mac or AI to allow the wet signal to sound within or along side the mix
2 USB channels out of the Mac to monitor the entire mix
with respect to the AI devices, you need a total of 2 in [from the Mac] and 3 out [to the Mac]

Recording the reamped signal USB channel requirements:
1 USB channel out of the Mac to get to the AxeII [to be the source audio as if it were a guitar playing through it]
2 USB channels from the AxeII into the Mac to record the AxeII's wet signal
2 USB channels out of the Mac to send the entire mix to the monitors
with respect to the AI devices, you need a total of 3 in [from the Mac - dry and entire mix] and 2 out [to the Mac - AxeII]

this is why most folks opt for a 4x4 external AI. It gives you enough channels in and out of the Mac.

Your audio interfaces [AI's]:
Deut:
2 in [cables] and therefore 2 out USB
4 out [cables] and therefore 4 in USB

AxeII:
2 in USB from Mac
4 out USB to Mac
with respect to cables there are multiple connections and selectable input and output options.

As you can see, neither of the individual AI's has enough in's and out's to handle reamping.
But if you use them together they do. Combining multiple AI's to create one big one is called creating an 'aggregate interface'.

Creating an Aggregate Interface:
open the Audio MIDI settings app [applications->utilities->audio MIDI Setup.app]
at the top of the window select Audio Devices. In here you can see the currently selected AI that is used as the Default Input and Default Output.
To create the Agg AI click on 'Audio' in the bar at the top of the screen and select 'open aggregate device editor'
this opens another window with a list of all recognised AI's.
click the '+' button to create a new one - you can double click on it to rename it to something more meaningful [ie: DuetAxe].
This next part is important - the order that the individual AI's are selected effects the input and output numbers in Logic.
You will be monitoring via the Duet USB channels 1-2 so tick 'use' on the Duet first, then tick 'use' for the AxeII.
Click 'done'.
Open Logic, and select this Agg AI [go to the bar at the top of the screen and click Logic Pro - then->Preferences->Audio]
This opens a new window where you can click on 'Device' and see all of your AI's including your Agg AI 'DuetAxe'.
Select 'DuetAxe' and then click 'apply changes'. Logic will go off and think about this for a a little less then a minute or so and then you're done.

Logic's channel strip inputs and outputs with an Agg AI:
As the Duet is your first AI, the numbering starts from here.
Inputs 1 and 2 are the Duet USB outs 1 and 2
Inputs 3 and 4 are the AxeII USB outs 0 and 1
Outputs 1 through 4 are the Duet's USB ins 1 through 4
Outputs 5 through 8 are the AxeII's USB ins 0 through 3

By default, the Logic channel strip called Out 1-2 is the master stereo out of the entire mix
this therefore uses out 1-2 which is USB in 1-2 on the Duet [and goes to your monitors]

Recording the dry:
create a mono audio channel strip and set the input to 7 [USB 2 out from the AxeII - your dry signal]
set this channel strip's output to 'no output' so you can't hear it in the mix.
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the dry to AxeII USB out2 - take a look at the manual.

create a stereo channel strip to playback the wet signal from the AxeII
set it's input to 5-6 [the USB outs 0-1 of the AxeII]
set it's output to Out 1-2 [so it plays to the master output with the rest of the mix.
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the stereo wet AxeII USB out 0-1 - take a look at the manual.

Arm recording on your 'dry' channel strip, play and record.
You are now recording just the dry signal and hearing the wet in the mix but not recording it.

after recording, disarm the dry channel strip to prevent recording over your performance.

Reamping:
set the output of your 'dry' channel strip to output 5 [AxeII USB in 0]
this sends the dry out to the AxeII.
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the AxeII USB in 0 to by the dry input - take a look at the manual.

set the input of your 'wet' channel strip to input 5-6 [the AxeII USB out 0-1]
I don't know enough about the AxeII yet to walk you through the settings to assign the AxeII Out1 L+R to USB out 0-1 - take a look at the manual.
arm the 'wet' channel strip and record.
the signal flow should be something like this:
  • dry from Logic out 5 -> AxeII in 0 [this is 'playing the AxeII]
  • wet Out 1 L+R from the AxeII USB 0-1 -> Logic input 5-6 [wet is being recorded]
  • wet channel strip output 1-2 joins the rest of the mix at the master channel strip
  • Logic master out 1-2 to the Duet -> monitors

Latency: I reckon there may be some here...
so long as there is no latency when you record the original dry track you'll be fine.
if there is latency when you record the reamped wet signal we can deal with it after it's been recorded.
you can cut a little space out of the recorded audio's region with the scissor tool [less than one beat is more than enough]
so maybe cut out beat 2 to beat 3 of the first bar [where this is no music, just the count in - cos you should never start the music bar 1 beat 1, always leave an empty bar at the front].
Then:
  • zoom the arrange window width ways
  • set the 'snap' to 'ticks'
  • drag the region back a little, listen, if still out, drag a little more etc until you've corrected / compensated for the delay.

Note: my reamping process is much simpler and has no latency because I use a bigger AI that is fully routable internally.

erm... and I hope I've not made too many mistakes writing out all this...
it's really easily done.. so if anyone spots something shout... I doubt all that crap up above is 100% perfect..
but it should be reasonably close...
Thank you for this detailed write up. I have Duet 2 and recently purchased axe II, and this works perfectly. For anyone else using duet, just know that it only has 2 inputs. So input 5 in your aggregate device is your DI input.

Back
Top Bottom