Honest Thoughts On Axe-Fx III, II and AX8?

Apart from the people who for whatever reason continually mischaracterize and exaggerate parts of my post, I appreciate the much more intelligent and reasonable posts here. For the record, for minimal use of the term "sterile," I clearly proceeded it with "a tiny bit." I guess that is too complex for some people to infer properly. "Sterile" doesn't necessarily connote a negative perception. Some degree of sterility in tone gives the tone a more hi-fi quality and better definition. It doesn't always mean that it's not organic or has no warmth - especially when you proceed it with "a tiny bit." I hope that's not to confusing so we can finally get past the waste of time reiterating it.

I really like what I hear from version III, however, we all don't have access to things, so we learn to rely on what we can access which are videos and audio recordings. If the assumption is that some shoddy recording from a webcam is something that I'd use to draw a conclusion, then that's foolishly presumptuous. There are some very good recordings so far, and there are multitudes of version II already out there.

Based on the intelligent posts in this thread, that feedback about the features, enhancements, and feel have helped me in making a decision to purchase version III when it becomes available at regular price. Though I'm not a professional or anything, I like very much what I hear and the features are great, especially the USB audio and tone matching among other things.

Reactions: J.C
I haven’t seen those posts.
Shrug. At this point you are just being argumentative. I stated it was 'my reading' of them. Meaning: I interpreted them that way; no one is saying you did. Us not being the same person, AFAIK, means no one is being dishonest or is even incorrect as the language of opinion is subjective. I felt like the point of violent agreement was hit on the last reply but I guess we could keep on badgering each other over semantics if there is some benefit to the rest of the forum. o_O
Based on the intelligent posts in this thread, that feedback about the features, enhancements, and feel have helped me in making a decision to purchase version III when it becomes available at regular price.
Good call. I am sure you'll be pleased.

Bracing myself for responses about whether I should have said 'great' call.

Apart from the people who for whatever reason continually mischaracterize and exaggerate parts of my post, I appreciate the much more intelligent and reasonable posts here. For the record, for minimal use of the term "sterile," I clearly proceeded it with "a tiny bit." I guess that is too complex for some people to infer properly. "Sterile" doesn't necessarily connote a negative perception. Some degree of sterility in tone gives the tone a more hi-fi quality and better definition. It doesn't always mean that it's not organic or has no warmth - especially when you proceed it with "a tiny bit." I hope that's not to confusing so we can finally get past the waste of time reiterating it.

I really like what I hear from version III, however, we all don't have access to things, so we learn to rely on what we can access which are videos and audio recordings. If the assumption is that some shoddy recording from a webcam is something that I'd use to draw a conclusion, then that's foolishly presumptuous. There are some very good recordings so far, and there are multitudes of version II already out there.
So can you share some comparison clips/videos where the III sounds a tiny bit sterile in comparison?

We don't know what you're talking about if we don't hear it. Many people disagree with you to begin with. So let's hear those clips and we can start discussing whether those things you hear are correctly represented or not. No common frame of reference means we're all talking in circles...

I didn't see anyone really exaggerate you comment on the Axe III sounding slightly sterile vs the Axe II. Most (myself included) were making the point that in our first-hand experience, the opposite is true. Quoting the word "sterile" does indeed emphasis it a bit, but it's kinda' hard to address you main point without... addressing it. I think most everyone here understood to what degree and in which context you were speaking.

Maybe just ask does the III sound better than the II (which has already been brought up many times)? It kinda kicks people into defense mode when it's implied that a newer, more advanced, more powerful, more expensive device designed by the same people that made the older version sounds a tiny bit worse? It's great to ask questions but an assumption seemed to be thrown in with the op. All is good - I look forward to hearing about your experience after you get one :)

I stated it was 'my reading' of them. Meaning: I interpreted them that way; no one is saying you did. Us not being the same person, AFAIK, means no one is being dishonest or is even incorrect as the language of opinion is subjective.
Confused. I didn't accuse you of dishonesty or anything else. But I'm as free to disagree as you are. :)

I felt like the point of violent agreement was hit on the last reply but I guess we could keep on badgering each other over semantics if there is some benefit to the rest of the forum. o_O
Not badgering. Just disagreeing.

Last edited:
I've only played the III in my studio , since I got it , but I have to say - during the limited free time I've had lately , I can not bring myself to hook up the AX8 , to even compare. It feels like there's something special about the way the III reacts to my playing , that I haven't experienced with the AX8. It just sounds and feels better.

Another thing that I noticed was , how quickly I can get a great tone , using a multitude of amps and presets.

On the other hand , I've never felt my AX8 didn't sound and feel fantastic. I will not part with it. It's combined portability and sound are currently unmatched . Just grab - and GO !

Someone in a post ( around here somewhere ) said - they compared the sound of the III , with the II and AX8 - the same way you might compare an Ultra-HD television picture to a HD picture. I think that's fair.
But , if you take into account , the additional "features" on the III , ........Whoa !
The III is one impressive BEAST.

Bottom line:

I've had the Standard, XL, XL+, but not the AX8 (but I can speak confidently that there's not *that* much difference.) I've never had a problem pulling good tone out of any of them. The only comment I will make is that it became progressively easier to get fantastic tone. More experimentation with cabs or tweaks on earlier models. The III one or two knobs (for personal preferences), and I was there.

You CAN'T lose here.

R

The very first thing i noticed with the III is the "feel". I have old ears and subtle differences between tone often go unnoticed for me. I have owned the Ultra, XL, and now the III. With all the firmware updates we have been blessed with over the last 10 years it was always the ones that addressed the dynamics that made my day with the obvious exceptions being Cliffs "epiphanies".

I am a Fender clean kind of guy. And I hear and feel a noticeable difference in that realm. The note separation and clarity is just stunning to me. So while the overall tone is not drastically different, It is noticeable to me and with the improved dynamics I believe that adds to the overall positive experience you are hearing from others.

Now add all the new stuff, some of which AlbertA alluded to in an earlier post, and to me you have a II on steroids. It is so easy and quick to dial in a good tone on the III.

I was just beginning to play guitar when i bought the Ultra 10 years ago so I will add a little caveat that was instrumental (pun intended) in my progression to mediocre level :). I learned so much about the guitar signal path with the AxeFx. I had only played a Deluxe Reverb prior to jumping on the modeling wagon and I didn't even know what all the knobs did on that fairly simple amp other than change the tone. I consider that Ultra purchase the best thing I ever did for giving me all the tools to learn the components in the entire path from guitar to cab. Hanging here on the forum, with all the talent and knowledge, has also been a huge bonus in that education.

So, I agree that the tonal changes right now are not overly drastic but it's there as my ancient ears can attest to. I absolutely love the dynamics and feel. And above all, I am looking forward to journey in the upcoming years when eventually we will be asking if the IV will be as much improved over the III as the III became over the II.

I have no doubt you will find your III a stellar piece of gear and be happy with the choice you made.

Last edited:
Maybe by then they'll start putting people on a waiting list for the Axe FX IV
Still no clips... Can you please post comparison clips/videos you're listening to so we can all hear the "tiny bit of sterile" you're talking about?

Man, he will never use that word ever again. ;)

But it is difficult if not impossible to say something is sterile yet organic :confused:

:)

I'd like to take off my employee hat for a moment and speak as a guitarist of 38 years.

There is no comparison for me. I won't gig with anything except the III, even though it means carrying extra equipment around in comparison to the AX8 I was using. The AX8 sounds almost as good as the II. The III sounds way better to me.

All of these qualitative terms like "organic" "crisp" etc. don't mean a thing when you sit and play it. It's just better in a way you can hear and feel.

I'd like to take off my employee hat for a moment and speak as a guitarist of 38 years.

There is no comparison for me. I won't gig with anything except the III, even though it means carrying extra equipment around in comparison to the AX8 I was using. The AX8 sounds almost as good as the II. The III sounds way better to me.

All of these qualitative terms like "organic" "crisp" etc. don't mean a thing when you sit and play it. It's just better in a way you can hear and feel.

+1

The III has me seriously considering selling my Ax8 and II so I can get another one for a gig rig and leave the other sheltered in the man cave :)

Back
Top Bottom