Honest Thoughts On Axe-Fx III, II and AX8?

The feel and touch sensitivity is the biggest difference to me between the AX8 and the Axefx3. My Axefx2 and AX8 always had the same tonality to me. I still had my AX8 when I got my 3 and to the ears they sounded similar, with the Axefx3 having a little better clarity. But the touch sensitivity and the little things you do with your fingers to get that tone out of a single note or a doublestop, etc. is so much easier on the Axefx3. Sometimes I'll stop and do it again a few times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Honestly, I didn't think Cliff could improve that over the Axefx2/AX8, but he keeps surprising me.

I'm afraid you would have to play through an Axefx3 to make a sound decision (no pun intended), as it's all about how it feels and responds(dynamics) more so than tone at this point.

The main reasons to me to go with the Axe FXIII is more CPU, the new cab block, and channels. A huge improvement in those areas. The new input noise gate in the Axe FXIII is great. Especially for Stratocaster or single coil users. The reverbs sound better also. The other reason is the fact that you know however great it is now, it will just keep getting better as happened with the Axe FXII. The Axe FXIII sounds real good to me right now. I played through it all night last night.

I've never been worried about CPU power as I think the AX8 is pretty darned good about that. Unless you're somebody with a recording studio or a guy like Pete Thorn, I can't see why all the extra processing is necessary. I think the reverbs on the AX8 are outstanding, so if they are better on the III, then that's gotta be something.

I like that you pointed out the noisegate. That's definitely a good improvement. I've never liked noisegates, and when I use them on my Fractal, I only use the smart noisegate if it isn't already built-in to the preset and keep it at a minimum.

The feel and touch sensitivity is the biggest difference to me between the AX8 and the Axefx3. My Axefx2 and AX8 always had the same tonality to me. I still had my AX8 when I got my 3 and to the ears they sounded similar, with the Axefx3 having a little better clarity. But the touch sensitivity and the little things you do with your fingers to get that tone out of a single note or a doublestop, etc. is so much easier on the Axefx3. Sometimes I'll stop and do it again a few times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Honestly, I didn't think Cliff could improve that over the Axefx2/AX8, but he keeps surprising me.

I'm afraid you would have to play through an Axefx3 to make a sound decision (no pun intended), as it's all about how it feels and responds(dynamics) more so than tone at this point.

I think that's part of the difference between the AX8 and Axe FX II XL+ for me. The AX8 is great and I love it, but I think there is just a little tiny bit more in the feel, dynamics, and overall tone of the Axe FX II XL+. I'm really wanting to let my AX8 go and go back to it, but I know I'd be kicking myself in the ass later if I did because let's face it, Fractal is probably going to come out with an improved AX8 and probably another mid-range product for people who can't afford or don't need a $2500 super processor - at least I hope they do :)

I have to wonder if anyone claiming the three sounds dramatically better than the two right now is not experiencing some serious placebo effect.

I am porting presets from my II to my III and doing direct comparisons latest FW on II and III I am using the II settings unmodified on the III they are that similar.

I am hearing some improved but likely to get lost in a mix 'clarity' when running the III but that is about it and I actually am wondering if that is just my imagination. I sincerely doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test.

There are a bunch of great reasons to upgrade and awesome new features that are only on the III... it is a great unit and an incredible value at the price considering all the horsepower and capabilities.... there will be many more FW developments and incremental updates over time for it, long after the II has frozen; it is the Fractal Future.

But like Cliff himself said the current II is a heckuva deal and a great unit as is. No mistakes to be made here.

It is cool that people are digging their new toy but I think it is easy to get carried away with the whole new gear honeymoon.

I have to wonder if anyone claiming the three sounds dramatically better than the two right now is not experiencing some serious placebo effect.
Its always good to consider the possibility of placebo effect and confirmation bias, but let’s be honest: no one here has said that it sounds “dramatically better.”

But I will assert that it sounds and feels “noticeably better.”

Its always good to consider the possibility of placebo effect and confirmation bias, but let’s be honest: no one here has said that it sounds “dramatically better.”

You gotta love the way some people like to take things way out of proportion and make things sound like you're too dumb to have a credible opinion. Anyway, I thought it was pretty obvious in my opening post that we're talking about very subtle differences that were only based on what I currently have access to compare - my AX8, videos, and audio clips. I have a feeling that even if I spell everything out, some people would still post stuff like that.

Aside from the jive, I really like the improvements in the Axe FX III and do think it sounds phenomenal. I've went over several audio examples between the XL+ and III and still like something about the XL+ a little more. Not sure what it is exactly, so I can't articulate it yet. One thing I noticed about the III, from what I can gather, is that there's something in the low end that seems to have improved.

I am porting presets from my II to my III and doing direct comparisons latest FW on II and III I am using the II settings unmodified on the III they are that similar.

I am hearing some improved but likely to get lost in a mix 'clarity' when running the III but that is about it and I actually am wondering if that is just my imagination. I sincerely doubt I could tell them apart in a blind test.

There are a bunch of great reasons to upgrade and awesome new features that are only on the III... it is a great unit and an incredible value at the price considering all the horsepower and capabilities.... there will be many more FW developments and incremental updates over time for it, long after the II has frozen; it is the Fractal Future.

But like Cliff himself said the current II is a heckuva deal and a great unit as is. No mistakes to be made here.

It is cool that people are digging their new toy but I think it is easy to get carried away with the whole new gear honeymoon.

I honestly didn’t expect to notice the modeling improvements. Everything I read suggested that there wasn’t going to be much of a difference. It’s not dramatic (you’d never hear it on a recording), but there is most definitely a difference. As everyone else said, it’s in the feel. The OP’s “sterile” description isn’t accurate at all. The III is more organic and realistic.

Fair enough and I suppose we all read different things in written form but in my reading, some folks were making it sound like there is this night and day thing happening already and I wanted to clearly state that this was definitely counter to my experience at this point in the evolution.

As I noted, there *seems* to be some clarity improvement for lack of a better word for me as well, so I suspect my experience is similar to most and this is really just a semantics thing. I have noticed it more in the light crunch to clean amps, which is not my bread and butter.

Like most users of the III who came from another FAS device I am sold on the power of the new unit and it being the flagship FAS platform. It is a mind mindbogglingly powerful tool.... Was neither unsatisfied with nor expecting a major tone upgrade and didn't want to paint it unrealistically for anyone doing research.

So for the OP: If you are worried the III will somehow be 'worse' than the II or AX8. F* no. It will be a little bit different but in a good way tonally and will be a zillion times more powerful.

How does one do comparisons from one unit to the other with recordings?
Everyone has their own settings that will change how it sounds - the variables are unlimited.

How does one do comparisons from one unit to the other with recordings?
Everyone has their own settings that will change how it sounds - the variables are unlimited.

Do you think you cannot hear characteristics of any gear in recordings? Do you think you can't hear the difference in the same thing recorded with different pickups, speakers, amps, etc? Come on man. Sure, you can record the same JCM800 with two different players and two different settings, but mostly likely you're going to hear the same essential amp characteristics of the JCM800.

I've been listening to a lot of Axe FXIII videos and audio clips, and have been particularly interested in what I've heard in comparison videos. Let me just say beforehand that I think the Axe FX III sounds amazing. Having said that, I'm actually liking the Axe FX II better when directly compared. There seems to be a nice brilliance and clarity to the Axe FX III, but it also seems a tiny bit sterile compared to the Axe FX II.

As for the AX8, after owning the Axe FX II XL+, I have to say that the AX8 is slightly not as good. It seems to have a little harder edge, and the presets seem to sound more alike to each other. Maybe it's just me, but I wanted to hear what you guys think because I'm thinking about letting my AX8 go and going with an Axe FX II XL+ or III.
I've had them all...III is really the best.
The XL is tonally about the same as the AX8...to my ears anyway, but you still have some of the CPU issues and I mostly upgraded for that reason

Reactions: J.C
Do you think you cannot hear characteristics of any gear in recordings? Do you think you can't hear the difference in the same thing recorded with different pickups, speakers, amps, etc? Come on man. Sure, you can record the same JCM800 with two different players and two different settings, but mostly likely you're going to hear the same essential amp characteristics of the JCM800.
What audio examples are you listening to that makes you say that III sounds more "sterile?" Can you post them?

All this discussion, and we don't know what you're listening to. We don't even know if it's a valid comparison or if it's just giving you wrong impressions.

After a few days with the III I can now say it sounds better than my ax8 and my Axe II. I do feel limited without a foot controller but it's coming! For now it's my studio unit. When I get my FC-12 I'll be in business! Oh, and scene controllers in Axe-Edit III will be nice soon! I hope:)

...in my reading, some folks were making it sound like there is this night and day thing happening already and I wanted to clearly state that this was definitely counter to my experience at this point in the evolution.
I haven’t seen those posts.

Even though the III is overkill for me, as I use it for live, which means I'll probably create 20 presets tops, I can hear a difference for the better. I was not able to use any of the II XL+'s factory presets out of the box. But it is different with the III. I feel the III has a great tone, more features, routing, horsepower, etc.
And I'll admit, I prefer latest and greatest of any brand I use. For me it keeps the R&D progress current, and minimizes product value loss. However, as mentioned, the II XL+ is a great deal right now for anyone wanting to try the number 1 (well now 2) modeler, and don't want to spend the big buck.

Yes you can hear differences in what you describe but comparing an Axe II to an Axe III in a recording is what I'm referring to.
We can agree to disagree.

I guess I have an informed opinion, since I have an AX8, a II, and a III. To me, the III sounds and feels better, and is shaping up to be the ultimate live tool. It certainly doesn't sound sterile. If it did, I wouldn't find myself mesmerized playing a single patch for hours at a time.

That said, I'm not sure I'd notice at a crappy bar gig...it's not worth the risk, so it will stay home. :( The AX8 does what I need live. Here again, I have to differ with the OP. AX8 v. II: same firmware, same sound....and it sounds damn good. I'm running both electrics and acoustics through my AX8, and while I wish I could stuff everything into mega presets like with the III, the AX8 gets the job done. It's easier to carry, and I'm not terrified that something bad could happen.

Right now, I only switch the II on to test preset ideas for the AX8. Not the most compelling raison d'etre. I'm contemplating trading the II for a Kemper to see how the other side lives.My other guitarist has two Kempers--we're negotiating.

Same here, it sounds and feels better. The feels better is probably the biggest "better" part of it.

I agree that you can hear the characteristics such as distortion, break up, frequency, compression etc.... because we have been listening to recorded guitars all our lives and probably have references of what we think good tone is.
The one thing really missing is the dynamics (from recordings). Also for most recordings things are being filtered/altered by daw processing, audio compression algorithms, the replay system etc... I believe the III is closer in accuracy of sound and dynamics than ANYTHING previously available. That's huge for some and not very noticeable for others. and the XL+ is so good I'm keeping it too :)

Oh, and scene controllers in Axe-Edit III will be nice soon! I hope:)
Yes! Need this as well.
After finally getting to the daunting task of building my gigging presets from my AX8 onto my III and A/B ing back and forth between them the III definitely has a clarity to it that is not in my AX8. I don't know if it's a better high end or Presence but it's very noticeable. The best way I know to describe it is a better clarity if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom