High Pitched Squeal

w7ptt

Hi everybody,

Tonight I was playing my electric guitar through my AXE FX II and all of a sudden, I heard this high pitched squeal. I looked over at the unit and the display was blank (lit up, but no text). I turned off the unit and waited about 30 seconds. I turned it back
on and the display looked fine and there was no squeal.

Have any of you experienced this?

Bill

Was this a Factory preset or a custom preset, or Tone Matched or ?
I'm thinking possible preset corruption ...

custom preset, tonematch. made earlier today. Come to think of it, I believe it was a copy of a preset I made earlier.

What is you firmware version?
Where you running axe-edit?
Did you have the USB plugged in?
If it happens again see if it is the same preset.

I heard the same thing but it ended up just being my wife standing behind me.

Good thing it wasn't this guy :)
deliverance-remake.jpg

Attachments

• deliverance-remake.jpg
    deliverance-remake.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 17
So my unit just did the exact same thing for the 1st time since I've owned it which is over a year. It made a loud high pitched squeal, screen went blank but remained lit up. I shut off power turned back on after 30 seconds all seems ok and I couldn't replicate it with same patch. Thankfully my CLR's seem fine too. New firmware 12.03 and stock factory preset 037 FAS Modern. Anybody else experience this issue?

Yes....a few times on 12.03 betas and now the release version. Lockups only seem to happen when hooked up to USB, which unfortunately is nearly all the time. Very intermittent though. I've already swapped USB cables, so I'm thinking maybe noise on the computer USB port....just a guess. Would love it if it was a firmware fixable thing.

I wish someone would write/explain what to do when you have a corrupt preset/blank screen with LEDs lit up, and rebooting with the recall button does nothing.

I wish someone would write/explain what to do when you have a corrupt preset/blank screen with LEDs lit up, and rebooting with the recall button does nothing.

Contact support and tell them. They'll send you an EPROM for a hard boot.

Do you have the instructions regarding the EPROM hard boot and what is involved? Just want to look it over and understand.

It may be a little intimidating at first glance but it's a piece of cake. Here's the email I got from Fractal Support:

Sorry to hear this Brent. We can help.
Your unit will need a "RECOVERY ROM" to boot and accept firmware.
You can get this for a nominal fee ($1) in our secret parts store...
Please refer to the warnings printed on the product chassis and have a qualified electronics tech pop it in for you.

Parts

Here are the instructions:
WARNING/AVIS! REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL. SHOCK HAZARD! RISQUE DE CHOC ÉLECTRIQUE! TO REDUCE RISK DO NOT EXPOSE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE. DO NOT REMOVE COVER. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS.

Instructions for qualified service technician:

1. Remove the screws holding the cover. Lift the cover slowly and note the fan wires running from the cover to the motherboard.

2. Disconnect the fan wire connector noting the location of the connector.

3. Locate the enclosed EPROM. Install the EPROM in the empty socket in the motherboard noting the orientation of the EPROM. The socket will have an indexed corner. Be sure to install the EPROM so that the indeces align.

4. Locate the enclosed 2-pin jumper. Place the jumper over the FLASH BOOT header J26.

5. Connect the power and turn the unit on. The unit should automatically show the firmware update screen.

6. Install the latest firmware. IMPORTANT: FRACTAL-BOT CANNOT BE USED TO INSTALL FIRMWARE DURING EMERGENCY RECOVERY. For instructions on how to use MIDI-OX or SNOIZE, see

Axe-Fx II Firmware Update - MIDI-OX or Snoize SysEx Librarian - Powered by Kayako Resolve Help Desk Software

Firmware includes an "Update Guide" with other information you should review.

7. Once the firmware update is complete, power the unit off and disconnect the power.

8. Remove the 2-pin jumper from J26. The EPROM can be left in the socket.

9. Reconnect power and turn the unit on and make sure it boots properly. Turn power off and disconnect power.

10. Plug the fan connector into the fan header and reinstall the cover. Make sure to orient the cover so that the fan is over the heatsinks.

--
Matt
Fractal Audio Support

Since a few of us have suffered the same ill fate, mine was a corrupt preset or third party IR. One to have your Axe FW loaded take out the jumper and try to load the FW as usual. If it bricks on you again repeat the jumper pin method, remove the pin, backup ALL user presets and load all factory defaulted presets. Once you've done that try reloading FW as usual again. A bit of a pain in the neck but it was a fast cure from having to send my Axe in. Since then I've reloaded FW half dozen times or so and no issues whatsoever.

Hope you resolve this as quickly as I did without sending it in for repair. I do think your issue is the same as others, (a corrupt user preset/third party IR).

Peace,

Guess I have to contact support. If/when this corrupt preset/user cab/etc. happens again, I need to know what to do. Already sent it to the factory twice in the past, and I'm learning I can solve this at home.

Back
Top Bottom