High Gain tone sounds digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, FAS nailed the amp part. But not what comes after : cabs, room reverbs, studio compression.. Those still don't sound natural and high quality. Something that concerns every IR user, a real amp through IRs still have that fake processed or one-dimensional kind of sound, especially with high gain amps. Do yourself a favor and use it with a real cab for daily practice and fun. Listening through a real cab will reassure you and you'll obsess less with the quality of the amp block. Right now, FAS make the best amps on the market, it's the ultimate programmable amp with a nice collection of integrated effects... and a cheap but close enough cab simulation.

To be fair, FAS nailed the amp part. But not what comes after : cabs, room reverbs, studio compression.. Those still don't sound natural and high quality. Something that concerns every IR user, a real amp through IRs still have that fake processed or one-dimensional kind of sound, especially with high gain amps. Do yourself a favor and use it with a real cab for daily practice and fun. Listening through a real cab will reassure you and you'll obsess less with the quality of the amp block. Right now, FAS make the best amps on the market, it's the ultimate programmable amp with a nice collection of integrated effects... and a cheap but close enough cab simulation.

That's a classic case of "amp in the room vs IR" syndrome.

For what i heard in your clip it's not double-tracked, that might do the trick, and also lower mediums and low-mediums
Your sound is more in-your-face than the video with the sound you're trying to achieve, more direct. So yes a bit of room, better eq and double-tracking maybe ?

So when one wants a “real”, “CD quality”, recorded tone, the problem is that it’s not “amp in the room”? Even though the frame of reference tone is the sound of a recorded guitar (which used an IR and not a mic’d cab even)

Makes sense....

Everyone should just stop using ir’s, stop mic’ing cabs, basically just stop recording period.

Guitar tones should only be heard as the good lord intended, in the same small room, with a loud amp. Amp in the room or nothing

I compare IRs to mic'd cabs, not cabs in the room. I made enough IRs - I mean hundreds - to hear what they lack compared with the original mic'd cab.
I've seen you post this stuff before on other threads. Why not make a new thread, post an example and prove this? Let's discuss about it and maybe we can improve the cab modeling inside the Fractals. There has been a few threads that first addressed an issue inside the unit, then Cliff chimed in and magically there was a new firmware made with the improvements after.

Deal? :)

I've seen you post this stuff before on other threads. Why not make a new thread, post an example and prove this? Let's discuss about it and maybe we can improve the cab modeling inside the Fractals. There has been a few threads that first addressed an issue inside the unit, then Cliff chimed in and magically there was a new firmware made with the improvements after.

Deal? :)

I'd really love to see some comparisons too.
I was a bit under the impression that the Axe is good at making those modern very direct sounding amp tones, but isn't that good at making vintage sounding natural roomy stuff, and I thought that was the fault of the cab modelling...
And then, the Axe amp modelling is not ideal with real cabs either, because of the manual speaker page, and volume scaling.

This is all bullshit. There is no such thing as 'amp in the room'. You can play your AFX through either FRFR and real cabs and get them to sound the same. There a gazillion different parameters to tweak - stop being so anal and just play the damn guitar.

This is all bullshit. There is no such thing as 'amp in the room'. You can play your AFX through either FRFR and real cabs and get them to sound the same. There a gazillion different parameters to tweak - stop being so anal and just play the damn guitar.
"Amp in the room" is only a concern when you compare a cranked amp, with a real cab, versus an IR through monitors.
This is out of topic.
What we are comparing here is a mic'ed guitar cab through monitors versus an IR of that same setup through the same monitors. Speedloader said that there is an audible difference. I'd like a blind test.

I compare IRs to mic'd cabs, not cabs in the room. I made enough IRs - I mean hundreds - to hear what they lack compared with the original mic'd cab.

Thanks for Your post didn't mention micing cabs;

"Do yourself a favor and use it with a real cab for daily practice and fun. Listening through a real cab will reassure you and you'll obsess less with the quality of the amp block."

Thanks for clarifying your opinion though. How were you shooting the IR's out of curiosity?

"Amp in the room" is only a concern when you compare a cranked amp, with a real cab, versus an IR through monitors.
This is out of topic.
What we are comparing here is a mic'ed guitar cab through monitors versus an IR of that same setup through the same monitors. Speedloader said that there is an audible difference. I'd like a blind test.

The first post in the linked thread is a pretty good example.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/york-audio-presents-the-bipolar-pack.125609/

I also think the bloc cab is the "weakest" part in the Axe FX.
Compared to other stuff (Two notes or new UAD Top Box) it sounds more "scooped" and thinner in the mid frequencies.
I think it sound good for tight sounds but less natural for vintage, classic sounds.
You can compare with new demos for the UAD reactive load+speaker modeling.
No Axe FX sample sound like that.
That "roar sound" in the mids are really difficult to have with the Axe fx.
I love the Axe FX but I always thought that the bloc cab sounds weak and thin

tenor.gif

I also think the bloc cab is the "weakest" part in the Axe FX.
Compared to other stuff (Two notes or new UAD Top Box) it sounds more "scooped" and thinner in the mid frequencies.
I think it sound good for tight sounds but less natural for vintage, classic sounds.
You can compare with new demos for the UAD reactive load+speaker modeling.
No Axe FX sample sound like that.
That "roar sound" in the mids are really difficult to have with the Axe fx.
I love the Axe FX but I always thought that the bloc cab sounds weak and thin

If only the Axe-Fx had some means to provide frequency specific adjustments of gain.... somehow Cliff most of totally forgot to provide any means of equalization in any of the various blocks, because lets face it, there is simply no means to remedy a "scooped" mid-range.

For what its worth as well, if you don't like the thin and weak sound of your "bloc cab", there are literally tens of thousands of different IR's you can load, not to mention the ability to mix two cab blocks together, or even mix a bunch of IR's together in the "cab lab" software.

On top of that, there are a lot of parameters in the "bloc cab" which you can adjust, as are there in the amp block....

I am a newbie here and my AXE will be delivered to my door per UPS in 6 days.I have been playing geetar since 1982.Went pro in 1987 and toured off an on thru 1992.Grunge ruined my touring career.I have been a recording engineer starting as an apprentice in 1987.I own my own recording studio since 2001.I own or have recorded every amp known to man.I will need help from this forum navigating the Fractal but I assure you I will get the best out of this product that I can.I have faith in this product not only for my own use but for my clients also.

The actual tone sounds ok. You are using a bit too much gain. I don't really play Djent stuff but I know that using a lower gain setting so the amp is only just past saturation will clean that up. EQ has a big factor as well as the Cabs so choose wisely. When I dial in a heavy tone I use the dual stereo cabs and blend two together o get the desired tone. Normally one has a tighter low end chunk with a slight mid scoop and the other will have less bass and a brighter high end. It seems to get me a much more consistent tone from the standard Axe cabs For me it took time to know how to dial in a great sound off the bat but it will come with tinkering with your knobs lol (lame). When recording, Track one guitar hard left and one hard right leads down the middle. You will be amazed at how much more gain you hear when the guitars are panned and EQ'd correctly in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom