High gain squeal as microphonic feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

devil.exe

So the issue i got is on lower volumes high gain patches are fine ,but as soon as i turn on volume on speakers to a above normal i get this microphonic feedback ,
tested multiple guitars ,cables, input 2 helps a little bit but still not 100% ,XLR output -10 helps also tiny bit , it could be the issue its all cranked really high as of volume speaking and its all in 1 room in about 5 feet proximity but still i had modelers and AXE FX III and i never had this issue ,any tips would be
appreciated .

I would love to run JCM 800 Mod with tube screamer or Recti stack at full blast because i just love really loud volume stuff .

Are your pickups wax potted?

Microphonic squeal/feedback is generally caused by the pickups (or sometimes tubes, though there are no real tubes in the Axe FX, tube preamp or power amp?)..

Last edited:
Are your pickups wax potted?

Microphonic squeal/feedback is generally caused by the pickups (or sometimes tubes, though there are no guitar real tubes in the Axe FX, tube preamp or power amp?)..
I only use EMG active , 81,85 ,60 and Bone braker set , i have it hooked up to an PA system , i really think it really could be my side causing this because everything is so close , guitar , processor and PA ,but i have seen other people had same issue and it was some fault with Input 1 something and its true its higher , i went i lower input gain in settings not much of an help ,so il probably have to work around with lowering high freq's to try avoidin this , usually this kind of problem occurs on 1/4 output but XLR should help alot more, when hook in it up to DI box ofc its not squealing because its freakin -10db but still FM3 has its own outs witch are ALL balanced even 1/4 could use TRS for lower noise floor .
But im searching maybe it is some kind of sound leak goin on and there is a way to fix it so im waiting maybe someone with same expirience could share tip or fix .

I only use EMG active , 81,85 ,60 and Bone braker set , i have it hooked up to an PA system , i really think it really could be my side causing this because everything is so close , guitar , processor and PA ,but i have seen other people had same issue and it was some fault with Input 1 something and its true its higher , i went i lower input gain in settings not much of an help ,so il probably have to work around with lowering high freq's to try avoidin this , usually this kind of problem occurs on 1/4 output but XLR should help alot more, when hook in it up to DI box ofc its not squealing because its freakin -10db but still FM3 has its own outs witch are ALL balanced even 1/4 could use TRS for lower noise floor .
But im searching maybe it is some kind of sound leak goin on and there is a way to fix it so im waiting maybe someone with same expirience could share tip or fix .
EMG active pups are wax potted at the factory, but that's not always going to totally eliminate microphonic squeal/feedback in high gain/high SPL environments, depending on how well the wax actually permeates the coils, which depends on how well they were potted? Being LoZ makes no difference aside from their preamp gain.

Anyway, there's nothing in the Axe FX/FM3 that could cause it, so it's external.

Thats a good point c...but i tested that with other modeler and it didnt happen but ofc its not the same amp modeling and response , right now i got JBL 1x12 2x and combined with 2x Magnat 220 240W

Are you using the noise gate
Have you tried turning up the threshold?
What was the other modeller that was working in the same setup

it could be the issue its all cranked really high as of volume speaking and its all in 1 room in about 5 feet proximity

Close proximity to speakers with tweeters can result in "Tweeter squeal", which is when the pickup senses the magnetic field from the speaker directly. It's a high pitched shriek.

[116] Tweeter squeal is magnetic feedback from the speaker's tweeter. Move further away from the speakers. This is a phenomenon unique to FRFR solutions.
[117] Magnetic feedback is an issue unique to FRFR amplification. The tweeter creates a magnetic feedback loop with the pickups. The closer you get to the speaker the more feedback until the point it squeals. The only solution is to move away from the speaker or turn down the gain/volume.
[118] The high-pitched feedback is pickup squeal and is caused by electromagnetic feedback from the speaker to your pickups. FRFR tends to exacerbate this since you have a tweeter feeding back high frequencies. A noise gate can help but the best solution is to move away from the speaker.
[119] If the tweeter is not magnetically shielded the magnetic field will couple into the guitar's pickups causing a feedback loop. The issue is exacerbated by high gain. The solution is to use a monitor expressly designed for use with a modeler like the Atomic CLR, Line 6 Powercab, etc. Another solution is to monitor yourself using a conventional guitar cabinet and dedicated power amp.
[120] This is magnetic feedback not acoustic feedback. At high volumes the magnetic field from the tweeter(s) couples into the pickups enough to cause a feedback loop. The solution is to move away from the speakers.

Last edited:
I have this issue with my Schecter with EMGs. They're quite hot pickups! A suggestion that largely works for me is to go to Settings => Global Settings and scroll down to Input 1 Gain. Try setting that gain down to about 0.190 for your EMGs. See if that helps out some.

EDIT: I re-read your comments and see you've already tried that, or used it some. You could try the minimum setting but if that doesn't help I'm unsure.

I have this issue with my Schecter with EMGs. They're quite hot pickups! A suggestion that largely works for me is to go to Settings => Global Settings and scroll down to Input 1 Gain. Try setting that gain down to about 0.190 for your EMGs. See if that helps out some.

EDIT: I re-read your comments and see you've already tried that, or used it some. You could try the minimum setting but if that doesn't help I'm unsure.
You didnt read full topic reply's , 3rd post i said i tried that setting and input gain or noisegate wont help solve this issue i have, im gonna test new speakers without tweeters to see if i get difrnt result , i do play really loud , from 97db as of an smaller amp and i hit 122db with full stack Randall KH 103 amp , but i want modeler and PA i dont want amps no more .

You didnt read full topic reply's , 3rd post i said i tried that setting and input gain or noisegate wont help solve this issue i have, im gonna test new speakers without tweeters to see if i get difrnt result , i do play really loud , from 97db as of an smaller amp and i hit 122db with full stack Randall KH 103 amp , but i want modeler and PA i dont want amps no more .
Permanent hearing damage with sustained exposure to say 80db and above, with immediate permanent hearing damage experienced at 115db+, just sayin...

Then go join doctors forum not music gear
I wonder how good of a musician and composer you'll end up being after losing your hearing above 500Hz +- (Beethoven did fine, but you're not Beethoven LOL!).

Enjoy your Tinnitus as that's what you'll get first, followed by high freq loss, then the high mids, and finally mids and game over...

Do you have a compressor in your preset ? If you do, then turn off Auto Make Up. Or lower the amount of compression or threshold. Raising the pickup height can sometimes reduce squeal too. Or something as simple as your tone knob on the guitar.

Wow, really? That's not how we act around here...
I dont care how YOU talk around here , your actin like some kind of difrnt if you dont have normal advice dont try to act smart ,
hes talkin like im shovin my ear into speaker in reality ofc i use hearing protection but if he thinks hes the smartest like he knows everything , and you obv have nothing better to say , im askin about other stuff not how i can wind up deaf.

I wonder how good of a musician and composer you'll end up being after losing your hearing above 500Hz +- (Beethoven did fine, but you're not Beethoven LOL!).

Enjoy your Tinnitus as that's what you'll get first, followed by high freq loss, then the high mids, and finally mids and game over...
So every soldier that comes home from war is deaf and has hearin problem? Most of them dont use any protection , stop makin false statements about your db-s and how they do this and that .

So every soldier that comes home from war is deaf and has hearin problem? Most of them dont use any protection , stop makin false statements about your db-s and how they do this and that .
Well, I'm part owner of a audiological rehab company who's biggest client is the US VA (US Veteran's Administration), and the facts are there are currently over three million US veterans being treated for hearing damage. Small arms typically create transient impulses from 135db - 170db, explosives a clipped 200db plus, so being a soldier in training or combat most assuredly creates hearing damage, though don't let these facts stand in your way of you being you tough guy!

As for the rest of you reading this crapped on thread where some guy can't get his guitar to stop squealing at 122db next to his PA speakers, the medical science I posted is also quite accurate (Google is your friend!), and while Cochlear Implants and Hearing Aids can help one cope with the disability, nothing restores damaged hearing to it's undamaged state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom