High Gain live tips

DaveZ

Inspired
Hey guys, looking for some input on using high gain live. I've been doing so for quite awhile but its always been a bit of a struggle controlling feedback.. and when I say feedback its the kind that occurs without my guitar volume even being up. For example during soundcheck when the drummer hits his snare my axe will start feeding back and I have to do a quick up and down on my volume pot to kill it. I would like some people who actually gig with high gain to give some input. I'm not diming the gain or anything like that. Running the Axe into a CLR. The output of my axe is up there.. maybe 2oclock.

Thanks

I think working the volume knob is pretty much a necessity past a certain point. Possibly a noise gate will help you out here, too.

Man that seems like high output coming out of the Ax. How high are you up on the CLR?

...and when I say feedback its the kind that occurs without my guitar volume even being up...
...I have to do a quick up and down on my volume pot to kill it.

This doesn't sound like normal behavior. I think you need to bring your guitar to a shop and fix your volume pot. I've never heard of a guitar feedbacking with the volume pot turned all the way down. If it's off, it's off. Sounds like the potentiometer needs to be replaced.

I always have my volume pedal off completely when there is going to be nothing happening on guitar. If I am away from the pedalboard, the guitar volume gets turned off if I am not playing. When actually playing, nothing else triggers feedback.

Noise gates are pretty much mandatory with high gain. Some guy here wrote an excellent thread on using a noise gate, which included his settings. Which I stole for myself as it works well.

Ok I've gigged with high gain patches and I can say hitting a snare should NOT cause issues in your rig unless you're sitting on your drummer's lap! (Hope not). Are there any mics on the kit? Are these said mics going to that same board as your axe? I'd start there

This sounds like that feedback some people have complained of, when they knock on their Axe.

Test it - next time you're in that scenario, knock fairly firmly on the Axe itself. Make sure your volume pot is all the way off, and try with more than one guitar (a bass will do).

I can't remember the remedy but if it's the same problem, others here can help.

have you tried your live settings at proper volume with another guitar? that might help isolate the issue depending on if it still occurs or not.

This sounds like that feedback some people have complained of, when they knock on their Axe.

Test it - next time you're in that scenario, knock fairly firmly on the Axe itself. Make sure your volume pot is all the way off, and try with more than one guitar (a bass will do).

I can't remember the remedy but if it's the same problem, others here can help.

That's exactly the scenario, it's like the unit itself is microphonic. I'm not sure if it's a result of bad programming on my part or not...

Make sure you're not clipping the levels - either output or input (check the meters). A lower / non-clipping output, turned up via your CLR ( I use CLRs too) shouldn't result in any kind of crazy squealing as long as you're not overdoing gain.

Noise gates are pretty much mandatory with high gain.
I'd say if you need a noise gate with hig gain, your gain is simply too high. I have quite the high gain setting myself and with the Axe2 I never needed a noise gate. With the Axe1 it was different, but maybe that was caused by my inability to use the machine back then ;)

I think my Mark II is also a bit microphonic, but I haven't noticed it in a while. If anyone has a link to a solution, let me know.

For the OP, I'd roll back on the gain and not use any compression (or only use super light compression). Check output on the utility menu. I set my levels to zero. Then set a few sounds 2 or 3 dB under that for quiet stuff and 2 or 3 dB over that for solos.

My gain isn't really high (4-5). I think it's mostly a matter of gain staging. As well I'm not using a compressor and am not messing with the integrated one.

It reminds me on someone who didn't do the high cut in the cab block.

Try this! It's possible that it could solve your feedback issue, but it's highly probable that it will improve your position in the live mix, so it's no lose.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-few-words-about-live-sound.94787/

I remember being shocked at how low he set the high cut, and initial reaction to hearing at home was "...really?" But, when I got to stage level with a cymbal smasher, I really had the lightbulb moment. The more dense the mix, the more important it is to find the sweet spot.

If that doesn't solve your feedback issue, I'd try to ring out your system by grabbing a parametric, and sweeping some frequencies with the Q tight and the gain cranked to see if you can find what's triggering it and then notch it out. Kinda doubtful that you'll need to go that far tho

The unit itself is microphonic. I've noticed this much more on my Axe Fx MkII standard vs my XL. If you knock on it it squeals badly. It is something Cliff has talked about previously and he says it has to do with FRFR tweeters being to close to the unit, I however noticed it if the unit is farther away even. Just have to keep your gain and compression down as it's the only fix I know of. Like I said, the XL seems much better for some reason, perhaps slightly different components involved.

Too much gain and compression.
This.

My gain isn't really high (4-5). I think it's mostly a matter of gain staging. As well I'm not using a compressor and am not messing with the integrated one.
Look for gain everywhere: the gain knob, Master Volume, drive blocks, compressors, level boosts...everywhere.

And this...
Any circuit will be microphonic to some degree due to the piezoelectric nature of capacitors. When you apply 60 dB or more of gain...you're going to amplify that.

are your pickups potted? i have a tokai loverock and the pickups were not potted, found out at gig volume when it was screaming like a wounded banshee.

Back
Top Bottom