High Frequency Noise Via USB

Bidding War

Inspired
Hi guys,

I sent a message to tech support but figured I would ask here as well...I am getting very high freq noise when the axe is hooked up via usb to my mac. This renders axe edit useless because the noise is getting into my recordings. Anyone else experience this? I have to crank my monitors up pretty loud, but it is there and super annoying. My setup is axe 2 with a 2016 mac mini and my interface is an RME UFX also running via usb.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
-a

I'm running my Axe II and Axe II XL+ via USB into my Macbook Pro, with no additional interfaces, and I have no noise. Perhaps remove the RME from the path and see if that resolves the extraneous noise?

Righteous! Thanks for the prompt response...looking into it now.

I have to say, I really appreciate your passion and dedication along with that of your team and this community! So much great art has been inspired from it!

I just answered the same thing to your support ticket. It's a USB ground loop. Maybe for a quick test, you could try a "cheater" plug on the RME. (If I remember correctly, the power cable of a Mac mini is already 2-prong and not 3?)

The USB standard is flawed as it calls for a ground at both ends which creates ground loops. This is just one of the myriad of things that makes USB one of the worst interfaces in the history of computers.

The USB standard is flawed as it calls for a ground at both ends which creates ground loops. This is just one of the myriad of things that makes USB one of the worst interfaces in the history of computers.
Which of the existing interfaces would you prefer became industry standard?

I just answered the same thing to your support ticket. It's a USB ground loop. Maybe for a quick test, you could try a "cheater" plug on the RME. (If I remember correctly, the power cable of a Mac mini is already 2-prong and not 3?)

Any suggestion as to what devices remedy this issue? I've seen some "USB isolator" dongles for about £8, then "USB Jitter" fixing dongles marketed for audio for £40-200, are they essentially the same device?

Many thanks, I think I have this issue as I get high frequency noises that change pitch when moving or clicking the mouse on my PC etc... plugged directly into PC USB from AXE FX II.

Best buy offers something similar...I am tempted to try it.

I think what I will do first is try running the RME through its firewire port and see if that helps the situation. Its funny, I have plenty of usb gear hooked up to my mac and the axe fx via usb is the only thing causing the ground loop. At least I know what the problem is. I really need to update my convertors and switch to thunderbolt...any body have $3500 to lend me? lol

yo! I'd just like to say thanks again! Switching my interface from USB to Firewire did the trick=). no more ground loop.

See this post for a description of another possible problem: floating USB ground on the computer side.

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/451389/

Hey Matt, does this sound like a USB ground issue? If so do you think one of those little USB dongles would remedy the issue?

At the start you can hear me "playing" YYZ with the noise by moving the mouse, every move of the mouse creates a high pitched sound.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Thanks

Hey Matt, does this sound like a USB ground issue? If so do you think one of those little USB dongles would remedy the issue?

At the start you can hear me "playing" YYZ with the noise by moving the mouse, every move of the mouse creates a high pitched sound.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Thanks

Unplug your guitar cable from your Axe-Fx input jack. If the noise goes away, it's not a grounding issue.

Unplug your guitar cable from your Axe-Fx input jack. If the noise goes away, it's not a grounding issue.

Yeah fair enough, yeah when there is nothing plugged in there are none of the computer high pitched sounds (just general low level hiss on very distorted patches), so I think it's just RFI/EMI from my PC, which was my original thought, but this USB grounding thing sounded like it could have been related to those computer noises.

Might put some aluminium foil on a board infront of my PC and see if it cuts down the majority, it is mainly with the single coil strat anyway.

My MacBook has Firewire, Thunderbolt and of course USB 2.0

What is the highest quality way I can connect to my Axe FX directly into my MacBook, for recording in LOGIC X? Is it possible to use the SPIF or AES directly into one of the other inputs, like Firewire, or Thunderbolt, so I can avoid USB?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom