Hey you nice guys out there! I'm going to New York

I also realize this magic trip for a week with my wife in the next month of May. I tried to make the most of this wonderful and musical week.
If anyone has any advice for booking an hotel or another solution at reasonable prices not too far from the center. I am listening to you.

Stay on the Jersey side if you want to save money. Take the train into town. Jersey City/Hoboken area. They are right across the Tunnel.

Ron

I live in Manhattan - if you can find an apartment in soho great but anywhere below 59th street will be fine. Get metro card so you can hop on any buss or subway. Rockwood music hall has free live music 7 days in stage 1 - many will blow you away. Bowery Ball room is nearby too and has bigger acts. Also check out Iridium Jazz Club colander while you are there for big acts in tiny room - I saw Andy Timmons and Robben Ford in 2013
China town for cheap great food and east village for dive bars

Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sad I didn't see your thread before going, there's so many good advice there...

I published this in my newspaper after my trip :
http://pages.intnet.mu/fremen/Images/NewYork.pdf
Nothing related to music, as it's a general news publication

yeah, it was an awesome trip. Our goal is to go next Christmas time. It's magical around that time of the year. Both of my kids graduate in May, one from college and one from high school, so we thought it would be great to get the whole family there as everyone will be scattered, After school ends.

I really enjoyed seeing the Dakota building and was thrilled when Yoko Ono walked right past us. I had no idea that she still continues to live there even after John was murdered at the front entrance. Enjoyed central park and Strawberry Field memorial as well. If you're in Time Square and looking for music, BB Kings was fantastic. Lots of famous artists have played there and the blues acts have been fantastic. I had excellent food in Chinatown but felt continuously harassed on the streets to buy fake watches and handbags. Ground zero is a must and so is top of the rock. I have been up empire state and top of the rock was much better! Take the subway everywhere. Fast and ez. Of course I have always been in the summer and walked most of the time. 5th ave if you want to check out famous stores for the rich.:) Rudys, sam ash music you could check out. We used priceline and got a great hotel deal at the south west corner of central park beside the times warner building. This was a great location because when you walked down to the subway it was like a crossroads for all the different trains. You could basically go in any direction. Anyway, have fun.

If you're staying in Soho check out local guitar shop Ludlow Guitars. I Tried some Fano guitars (which looked a bit weird but played beautifully!) Also check out both Rudy's guitar shops where John Suhr started. I spent a couple of weeks in NY over the summer and was impressed with how friendly and knowledgable the staff were compared to here in the UK.

If you're staying in Soho check out local guitar shop Ludlow Guitars. I Tried some Fano guitars (which looked a bit weird but played beautifully!) Also check out both Rudy's guitar shops where John Suhr started. I spent a couple of weeks in NY over the summer and was impressed with how friendly and knowledgable the staff were compared to here in the UK.

If you look at my thread I took tons of pictures inside of Rudy's. I agree with you while my wife was working I was hanging out at Rudy's

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/loung...next-week-where-should-i-go-4.html#post757548

Here's what I'd do:
- Go see Ari Hoenig. He used to play at Smalls Jazz Club and the Fat Cat. I think he still does. Really good "Punk Jazz". There is a good spanish restaurant around the corner from Smalls called Sevilla on Charles Street. Really good and really cheap.

- Go to the NYC Metropolitan Opera House and see La Boheme. I just saw this production in January and it's excellent. You can eat a great Italian dinner before at Cafe Fiorello. Have the flat lasagne. Make reservations. The meal isn't too much but the opera will cost you for good seats.

- Go to Jazz at Lincoln Center at the Allen Room or Dizzy's Coca Cola club. They may have something you like.

- Catch a play. I saw that ABBA play "Mamma Mia' and it was really fun. But you should see what's out there.

- The Guggenhiem was a total bust in Jan. Almost all of the exhibit rooms were closed, and they had the most ridiculous art on display by a guy named Christopher Wool. It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. They may have changed the main exhibit and opened some of the rooms, which would make it worth it. I much preferred the Museum of Modern Art. I left the Guggenheim in under an hour, but spent most of the day at MOMA.

- Walk around Times Square awhile and there is a pretty good restaurant called Blue Fin. A little pricey.

- Have tea in the Mandarin Oriental Hotel at Columbus Circle. In the Lobby Lounge (I think it's on the 38th floor). Great view of the park and have a few drinks. make reservations. It wasn't too expensive.

- Take the subway as the cab costs will kill you! More expensive than the stuff I listed above (just kidding)

- Eat dinner at the Bella Luna Restaurant. Jack Wilkins is a regular and he used to play like Thursday and Sunday nights for free. I saw him with Howard Alden a few years ago, then had dinner there again a couple days later and he was at the table next to us with some movie producer. He got pretty drunk but was funny and really nice. He may be touring though. The food is great and cheap.

- I like to get on one of those all day double decker tour buses and listen to the history while watching the sites. They'll show you the apartments of various celebs. I can't believe Bono's place. It's like a bird's nest over the city.

- Take your mom to Tiffany's on 5th avenue and buy her something. She'll talk about it for the rest of her life.

Last edited:
I'm really glad you've listed so many restaurants! Thank you! I've just been to Sevilla, and I miss the Spanish food ;) wow New York seems to be one big clash of different cultures. I can't wait to just surf around all the restaurants and places!! Oh and thanks god read the other threads! The New York highline seems so awesome!

Back
Top Bottom