Hey just curious.... Tunings

Gorilla

Experienced
I've been playing a few years now. And most of my beginning years I played in standard E (E A D G B E)tuning. Then I moved to a dropped D tuning(D A D G B E) and stayed there for a few years. Started a Death Metal band way back and went to a B tuning (B-E-A-D-G-B).

Just curious what people use for tunings? Because I wanted to try something different and we're now in a really crazy tuning on my 9 string and my bassist plays 5 string (He does it in a regular 5 string bass tuning). I dunno what tuning it would even be? I'm sure there's a technical name_____ and a non-tech name like wee-todd-it for it.
DON'T LAUGH!!!
O.K.get ready to laugh!!! :lol
It's a funky Simian *i guess* based off Esus2 but in Db!!!
from high E down -->:shock Db † Ab † Db † A † Ab † Db † Ab † Db † B :shock<-- Gawd does it sound brutal though!

What tuning do you all use?

Reactions: jon
Wow.. That's.. That's a tuning! :D

Before I got my sevenstringer, I usually mistreated my ESP Eclipse and old SG copy with a variety of tunings,
but currently my ESP stays in standard E or drop D, while my Schecter C7 does all of the changing (hasn't it higher than C# though).
My favorite by far though is
B E A D F# B B

Just standard B tuning for a 6-string with an extra B string (about same pitch). It gives a nice chorus-effect on full chords and open strings.

Well my tale of tuning starts in E standard. Then in my first band, a metalcore/post-hardcore band, I played in drop-C for years. Then my current band I realized I liked playing a lot of stuff in the middle to upper half of the neck so I wanted to lower it further overall so I could play higher stuff an then have really extreme lows so now I'm in drop-A and I don't think I'll ever go lower then that. It's pretty awesome. I usually try to play a low rythym part with a melodic part over it almost like 2 guitar players and I think drop-A or even drop-C allows you to do that much easier by pulling that power chord shape into a single straight line across the fret board. Also just being able to cover a wider range of notes with drop string opens up really interesting chord voicings

DADGAD tuning works great for acoustic stuff. Sometimes this tuning can provide a little spark of inspiration for creating a new song. It can get you out of the rut of playing standard cord shapes and hearing the same old songs.

DGDGBE is a nice tuning for slide and stuff. Think Stones "Honkey Tonk Woman" of Buck Cherry's "Lit Up" or Black Crowes "Twice as Hard".

I played in a br00tal metal band for a few years well. Rose to the top of the heap where I'm from.

The funny part? Up to this day I can't remember the tuning :eek:

In my defense I play with a lot of bands.....but it was always funny to go to a gig or practice sometimes and have to ask the guitarist what the tuning was :lol:

I play in C-Standard tuning. I use jazz strings 13-56 (wound G). To me, C is perfect... nice level of 'evil-ness' but still firm and precise.

I rocked in to mention DADGAD but I got beaten to it. It's great for celtic sounding stuff.

Another great acoustic tuning is CGCGCE. Brilliant for blues (also brilliant with a capo).

For the past couple years Ive been using E standard(6), B standard(7), and F# standard(8).
I used to do Eb and Bb standard.

I play in C-Standard tuning. I use jazz strings 13-56 (wound G). To me, C is perfect... nice level of 'evil-ness' but still firm and precise.

I know what you mean. C standard on a 6 string is nice and low and chunky and tight as all hell. I like it better than B standard on my 7's. I'm building a 7 string baritone. Maybe I can finish it sometime this year. The 27" scale will hopefully offer a tighter feel for some lower tunings.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

I know what you mean. C standard on a 6 string is nice and low and chunky and tight as all hell. I like it better than B standard on my 7's. I'm building a 7 string baritone. Maybe I can finish it sometime this year. The 27" scale will hopefully offer a tighter feel for some lower tunings.

I just saw that Peavy has released a Devin Townsend Signature... 7 string, 28" scale, EMGs... big, bad ass looking V.

Figured ...why start another thread. So I found this one yeee haawwww.
Anyways, been fartin' around with some more crazy tunings again. And I've been jammin' out on this setup.
From bottom .100 to top .09
>> B Db Ab Db Ab A Db Ab Db
<<
Crazy ass bar chords sounds from it
FO SHO MO FO!!!!!:lol
FF to 1:00... it'll kick in...this is my finger excersise song hehehe

I've been in so many tunings it's hard to remember them all. I currently have the following tunings on my guitars.

E Standard
Drop Db (drop D, 1/2 step down)
C Standard
Drop C (Drop D, full step down)
Seven String down a full step (A D G C F A D)

I hated all those drop D bands in the 2000's, but I'm finding my favorite tuning is Drop C#. There's just something about writing in C# Minor that I absolutely love.

Here are some of mine, just for one project:

Requested Guitar Tunings from my Tribute to Michael Hedges
Note 3 set tuning are 18 string harp guitar
Harp Guitar Unique Forms (scroll down)
Running Blind (by Michael Hedges) Tuning DADGBD
Wicked Messenger (by Bob Dylan) Tuning AF#ABF#B
Woodstock (by Joni Mitchell) Tuning CGBbEbFBb
No Expectations (by the Rolling Stones)Tuning DGBCDG /EADEAD/F#GADEF#
All Along The Watchtower ( by Bob Dylan ) Tuning DAEEAA
Eminence Front (Band Version) ( by Pete Townsend ) Tuning DbFCEbFBb
Come Talk To Me ( by Peter Gabriel ) Tuning GABC#DE/EAC#EAE/ACDEF#A
Fool’s Overture ( by Roger Hodgson ) Tuning CFGABC/CGDGBD/BGADEF#
Like a Rolling Stone ( by Bob Dylan ) Tuning BbEbBbBbEbG
Almost Cut My Hair( by David Crosby )Tuning F#GACDE/EADEAD/F#GABDG
Face Yourself ( by Michael Hedges ) Tuning BF#C#DAD
Rocket Man ( By Elton John and Bernie Taupin ) Tuning DEF#AF#G/CGDGAD/CFGACD
Ready or Not (by Michael Hedges ) Tuning CGDGGG
She Drives Me Crazy (by The Fine Young Cannibals) Tuning CCDF#AD
I Don’t Live Today (by Jimi Hendrix) Tuning BF#BEF#B
Spinning Wheels (by Blood Sweat and Tears) Tuning CGDGAC
Ashes To Ashes ( by David Bowie ) Tuning CDEFGA/CGDGAB/DEBCDE
One Day I Walk ( by Bruce Cockburn ) Tuning EADGBE (standard)
Rough Wind in Oklahoma ( by Michael Hedges ). Tuning A#D#CGAA#
In the Air Tonight ( by Phil Collins ) Tuning CDAA#CD/DFDFGA/EFADEF
I Believe in You ( by Michael Hedges ) Tuning A#G#C#D#G#G#
Yesterday ( by Paul McCartney ) Tuning AEAC#EG#
Death to Distraction (by Michael Hedges, lyrics by Moonunit Zappa)
Tuning CGDGBE
After the Goldrush ( by Neil Young ) Tuning BF#C#DAD
Comfortably Numb( by Pink Floyd ) Tuning DFGAA#C/EADEAB/EGCDEF
While My Guitar Gently Weeps ( by George Harrison ) Tuning BDABEA

lots of others

Back
Top Bottom