Hey Guys, Check Out My DIY Magnetic Write On, Wipe Off Labels

Retro Rick

Inspired
upload_2016-4-26_13-35-1.png
Great for a song based approach, only wish there was a way to remind myself how I programed my scenes... The magnets work great, but when putting the unit in and out of my case, I found myself wiping off text over and over, so I finally took a sharpie and made the text permanent. This is DIY, but it wasn't to save money, I just didn't see anything out there this practical for live use, the pro labels don't have enough room for 24 songs, or 24 tones. Anyway, suites me better, and because it's cheap, it's easy to throw away and replace. I also, bought some glow in the dark tape, I will try some out later taping the magnets and writing on them again with a black sharpie. Obviously, they looks home made, I might consider using a label gun, later.
I'm not really too worried about appearance, more concerned with function, that's what matters most to me.

Try this....use a dry erase marker over the sharpie...to remove the sharpie ink when you need to change it. That makes the sharpie SEMI permanent.

View attachment 32162
Great for a song based approach, only wish there was a way to remind myself how I programed my scenes... The magnets work great, but when putting the unit in and out of my case, I found myself wiping off text over and over, so I finally took a sharpie and made the text permanent. This is DIY, but it wasn't to save money, I just didn't see anything out there this practical for live use, the pro labels don't have enough room for 24 songs, or 24 tones. Anyway, suites me better, and because it's cheap, it's easy to throw away and replace. I also, bought some glow in the dark tape, I will try some out later taping the magnets and writing on them again with a black sharpie. Obviously, they looks home made, I might consider using a label gun, later.
I'm not really too worried about appearance, more concerned with function, that's what matters most to me.

These look great - form over function every time !!

(And psssst.... I'm working on 2 separate ideas that may just be the ticket for folks wanting more info for their switch layouts on the AX8/FX8 ... Watch this space....) :)

(And psssst.... I'm working on 2 separate ideas that may just be the ticket for folks wanting more info for their switch layouts on the AX8/FX8 ... Watch this space....) :)

Die Cut masking tape sheets? peel - stick - write - peel - repeat..

Die Cut masking tape sheets? peel - stick - write - peel - repeat..
I wanted something that I could replace and reuse later, one set of labels for Floyd, one set for mixed classic rock. Magnets makes switching back and forth easier and there's no sticky residue.

If you make a pro version of what I have here, preferably "Glow In The Dark" and "Write On/Wipe Off", I'd order it...

image.png
Cool! I like your magnectic write on!! Simple and easy to read... I received my AX8 two months ago and I'm planning to start building banks and presets for my Pink Floyd tribute band too.
I'm sure the AX8 will be a big upgrade from my Boss gt-100!!!
The pic is from our last show in March!

Did you build your preset from scratch or axe-change?

View attachment 32174
Cool! I like your magnectic write on!! Simple and easy to read... I received my AX8 two months ago and I'm planning to start building banks and presets for my Pink Floyd tribute band too.
I'm sure the AX8 will be a big upgrade from my Boss gt-100!!!
The pic is from our last show in March!

Did you build your preset from scratch or axe-change?
Always a pleasure to talk to a fellow Floyd head! I've only had my AX8 for 10 days, my previous rig was much more complicated, this simplifies my life a lot. My previous rig was a 3 channel tube amp, voodoo labs channel switcher, voodoo labs ground control, and a boss GT100 4 cable for most effects. It worked great sounded great, but it's a lot to carry and setup. This AX8 is the bomb. All I really need to play live is the unit and a clean amp or a good PA. I'm still working on setting up my all my pre-sets, I've always had the most success, by just doing my own pre-sets from scratch. Good luck with your band.

Always a pleasure to talk to a fellow Floyd head! I've only had my AX8 for 10 days, my previous rig was much more complicated, this simplifies my life a lot. My previous rig was a 3 channel tube amp, voodoo labs channel switcher, voodoo labs ground control, and a boss GT100 4 cable for most effects. It worked great sounded great, but it's a lot to carry and setup. This AX8 is the bomb. All I really need to play live is the unit and a clean amp or a good PA. I'm still working on setting up my all my pre-sets, I've always had the most success, by just doing my own pre-sets from scratch. Good luck with your band.

Thanks for the reply, yeah! voodoo lab have nice foot controls and switchers...good stuff! The AX8 will simplify our life for sure. From what I have heard so far it's hard to get a bad tone out of this black box...I have played with guitar processors all my life and I prefer building my pre-sets from scratch too but I'm curious about Bobby Harrisson's pre-sets from Brit Floyd available on "axe change", I'll be checking them out soon!
He was touring all over the world with those pre-sets, they must be good, maybe it will save me a fews hours of tweeking lol!
Good luck with your band too!

Thanks for the reply, yeah! voodoo lab have nice foot controls and switchers...good stuff! The AX8 will simplify our life for sure. From what I have heard so far it's hard to get a bad tone out of this black box...I have played with guitar processors all my life and I prefer building my pre-sets from scratch too but I'm curious about Bobby Harrisson's pre-sets from Brit Floyd available on "axe change", I'll be checking them out soon!
He was touring all over the world with those pre-sets, they must be good, maybe it will save me a fews hours of tweeking lol!
Good luck with your band too!
I've checked out those pre-sets, and was not blown away, which is usually what happens with other people's pre-sets, let me explain why...
A pre-set is like a tailor made suit, designed to work perfectly with player X's equipment and playing style. In my opinion it's usually more work to chase other people's pre-sets, try them out, tweak them, find out it's not working, etc. than to just make your own from scratch. Making pre-sets on this thing is not that hard, and it sounds awesome. What I do, is use the looper, play part of the song, and use the loop to audition different amps and effects, and when I'm done, I have something that sounds great to my ear, with me playing on my equipment.

I've checked out those pre-sets, and was not blown away, which is usually what happens with other people's pre-sets, let me explain why...
A pre-set is like a tailor made suit, designed to work perfectly with player X's equipment and playing style. In my opinion it's usually more work to chase other people's pre-sets, try them out, tweak them, find out it's not working, etc. than to just make your own from scratch. Making pre-sets on this thing is not that hard, and it sounds awesome. What I do, is use the looper, play part of the song, and use the loop to audition different amps and effects, and when I'm done, I have something that sounds great to my ear, with me playing on my equipment.
Thanks for the advice and great tips!!

For Retro and FloydRD, i'm a huge Floyd fanatic myself, do you guys have website of your band playing ? love to check them out

Although I can't imagine ever having a set complex enough to need something like this, it's a great DIY project idea. Cool!

Back
Top Bottom