Help with AC/DC style preset

Angus with no FX, - yes but he used this little thing called a Schaffer Replica system (original a wireless system for guitar which. When cranked the right way, sound have this feel to both lo/hi-end).

I bought it a month ago and it's spot on and gives a warm feel to the sound...

Let Pete Thorn give you a demo here or look up different demos on youtube from SoloDallas making this effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnp6BvP7_5w

I'm still struggling with the tone, I made something like 4 presets, different amps and cabs, tried it @ home and also last weekend @ the rehearsal but unfortunately none seems to work for me or for the band mix.
I will upload them later on for you guys to try them.

The main problem with recreating Angus's tone is... that we are not Angus :)

The major part of it's tone comes from his hand, gear is far less important. When trying to sound like Angus you must keep in mind one fundamental axiom - he's smashing strings with his pick much harder than you can imagine. Gentle picking won't give you his tone no matter what amp/cab/drive settings you use.

I'm still struggling with the tone, I made something like 4 presets, different amps and cabs, tried it @ home and also last weekend @ the rehearsal but unfortunately none seems to work for me or for the band mix.
I will upload them later on for you guys to try them.

Have you tried the preset I added or Kavoo added to axechange? If so they are edited direct for my studio monitors you may need to eq for another application even just different monitors.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for a late response.

Have you tried the preset I added or Kavoo added to axechange?

Yes, I did tried it but for a live scenario with a 4x12, cab sim OFF = sounds baaaad so I left cab sim ON.
I tried it together with my band and unfortunately it didn’t sound right.
I'm aware of Angus type of playing and I can say I'm not a noob….
On the other side, I'm not and will not be Angus…
Will keep on the tests.

Hi, sorry for a late response.

Yes, I did tried it but for a live scenario with a 4x12, cab sim OFF = sounds baaaad so I left cab sim ON.
I tried it together with my band and unfortunately it didn’t sound right.
I'm aware of Angus type of playing and I can say I'm not a noob….
On the other side, I'm not and will not be Angus…
Will keep on the tests.

Ah, well this preset was made with frfr or direct in mind so using with a 4x12 its gonna need a complete re-haul really.
Sorry I couldn't help.
To be honest I gave up on using the axe fx with a power amp into my cabs a long time back. I've decided to give frfr a go.

I hope you nail that tone soon man.

:encouragement:

Bumping up a very old thread..

The Schaffer Replica was mentioned a few posts above but not really addressed here. I've always thought of Angus Young's 'Back in Black' tone as a total benchmark for Marshall rock and roll. Supposedly the Schaffer wireless Angus used is the missing ingredient in nailing the tone. Maybe a model of this circuit would be a useful addition to the Ax(e\8).

Interesting to read about. http://solodallas.com/the-schaffer-replica

Schaffer-Replica-Tower-Guitar-01.jpg

If only there were some mastertracks from the Back in Black album... the lack of anything useful for tonematching BiB is so unfair... :wink:

If only there were some mastertracks from the Back in Black album... the lack of anything useful for tonematching BiB is so unfair... :wink:

There is some live multitrack of BiB. The sound is quite different from the album version, but it's still helpful to get the idea(s) on the tone matching, by just listening isolated guitar tracks.

just thought i'd have a little go, because it's interesting to see what you can come up with. i got a pretty decent sound using

fet boost (level = 7)
into
1959SLP bright (drive = 5, BMT = 10, Pres = 3)
into
factory cab F132

might be a little too gainy though...but a good starting point, maybe

i would say, that a lot of the mojo is just down to sheer volume

Last edited:
I've found the back to back comp blocks before the amp block adds some of the Schaffer mojo.

The first comp replicates the compression of the wireless transmitter.

The second comp is setup as an expander and replicates the expander of the wireless receiver.

Comp 1: 4:1 -> Comp 2: dynamics 4:1

that sounds pretty cool, actually!

I got that from another AC/DC thread. Cliff actually tried it and commented about it added some of the wireless mojo.

I use the same technique with my Bandmaster preset. It does add something to the attack and pick dynamics that sounds good to me.

i tried it on my preset above and it sounds great. i had to drop the input trim a bit, cos it smashes the front end (too much for rhythm), but for lead it's bang on. angus probably just works his volume control

Here's my take, nothing super authentic, but very playable. The cab pre distortion is a big one in here.

Uploading the preset doesn't work for some reason.

i tried it on my preset above and it sounds great. i had to drop the input trim a bit, cos it smashes the front end (too much for rhythm), but for lead it's bang on. angus probably just works his volume control

Isn't that a cool little trick? I was kinda shocked how it added the AC/DC vibe.

Back
Top Bottom