Help with AC/DC style preset

Roadrunner

Power User
Hi guys.
I'm pooling my hair here over this crunch ala AC/DC style sound.
After last live recording we had I've noticed the sound I have for AC/DC and rock songs is way to metal for AC/DC style so I'm trying to start almost from scratch.
Attached is the preset (it's based partly on one of FREMEN's presets with different amp and cab).

There are 2 problems:
1. There is a specific frequency over the highs that drive me crazy and pierce my ear (I'm playing with humbuckers, not singles), if you play a high E or octave and also a high B / octave you defiantly hear it which is strange because on power chords (E, A and D strings) it’s the opposite, it sounds muffled, dark, no life in it.
2. Other problem is sustain, I feel it's so short, like an amp without power….
I thought it’s the guitar (mahogany body with maple neck) but I have the same problem over my other guitars as well.

Cab used is stock from the XL - F038 4x12 1960A G12M (RW)

Any idea?
I would be happy also to try yours AC/DC style presets.
Thanks.

View attachment Crunch TEST.syx

Remember that a big part af the AC/DC sound is two guitars playing rhythm: one tweaked for a bright top end, and one tweaked for a full low end.

Try a SLO 88 Rhythm, with a little OD and compressor block in the front.

Somebody posted a preset a while ago and I've used it ever since for AC/DC covers. Of course this was many firmwares ago, but I've tweaked it as necessary along the way to my liking... still sounds amazing.

Great sound.
I will try it later @ home.
BTW, is it a new preset/TM you made or an upgrade of the old one to the current FW?

Updated for fw18.07
The old version was a jumpered jtm45 but in this firmware the plexi 50w jump seems to be working better for me. Different cab mixes too blended with the original tone match. Each major firmware update seems to shift which amps work better for my own tastes. Personally I think it's vintage style pickups with lower output, volume and tone controls on the guitar that always seem to give that extra something when trying to dial in Angus's tone.

I use two amps in parallel balanced one left and one right. A plexi and a 1959slp jumped. I tend to use the prerola factory cab. And a slap back delay of 120ms or there about should give the right ambience. It's instant AC/DC!
I will post the preset when I get a chance.

Updated for fw18.07
The old version was a jumpered jtm45 but in this firmware the plexi 50w jump seems to be working better for me. Different cab mixes too blended with the original tone match. Each major firmware update seems to shift which amps work better for my own tastes. Personally I think it's vintage style pickups with lower output, volume and tone controls on the guitar that always seem to give that extra something when trying to dial in Angus's tone.

Ok, downloaded your preset and tried it but the real test for me will be later this week during rehearsal to see how it fits in the band mix.
BTW, which guitar and pickups did you use?

I use two amps in parallel balanced one left and one right. A plexi and a 1959slp jumped. I tend to use the prerola factory cab. And a slap back delay of 120ms or there about should give the right ambience. It's instant AC/DC!
I will post the preset when I get a chance.

Thanks, looking forward to try it.

I worked last night on few more presets for AC/DC tone which I will upload here later on for you guys to try and comment.

Heres my angus tone used in conjunction with a tone match of the studio version of overdose

attachment.php

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Overdose Fw18.07 - by scotlandyabass

Man that sounds good!

Watching "Live at River Plate", I was amazed to hear how much little gain Angus and Malcolm uses. It almost felt wrong. But it also reminds me that the heaviest sounds of the seventies are on the lower side of crunch these days ;)
I need to work on an AC/DC preset but I probably don't have the right guitar for that…

Man that sounds good!

It sure is!

Bonamassa Les Paul with Burstbucker 3 pickup

I could not replicate that exact sound with my guitar, the guitar I'm playing for all AC/DC stuff is a custom one, mahogany body with maple neck and Duncan's Original PATB-1 + Blues Saraceno PATB-3 (don’t remember which in the bridge).
Other guitars are too modern for that (JP, Ibanez ertc.)
The overall feel is there more or less but not the exact sound.
Will see how it fits in the band.

I need to work on an AC/DC preset

I was planning to e-mail you about that challenge :)

I´ve tried several ACDC Sounds, also for our second guitarist, who plays the Malcolm-part with an ES - 335 and the Marshall 1959 SLP High, Pre Rola Cab.

My Opinion -change your cab!

Not this old RW-cab......Pre-Rola, CK 8 (58-59) or the coming German Axefest 2015 AX-Marshallcab are great for an Angus-tone with the Plexi 100 W High.

I use it with OH V3 Diezel V30 EN 08 cab.

I can load up my presets, if you want. There haveto be some soundexamples, have to look for it.

Hubi

Last edited:
Watching "Live at River Plate", I was amazed to hear how much little gain Angus and Malcolm uses. It almost felt wrong. But it also reminds me that the heaviest sounds of the seventies are on the lower side of crunch these days ;)
I need to work on an AC/DC preset but I probably don't have the right guitar for that…

Yes.
Old school rock I think less gain and more volume is where a lot of their awesome live sound came from(not Just ACDC), I read somewhere from some famous rock guitarist (don't recall who)that back in the day, you would set your guitar volume and tone to 3 (or the appropriate sweet spot of your choice) and get your favourite tone dialled in, and after that solo's and tone changes all came from your guitar controls, I must say I use that method always now, it was a eureka moment personally, clean or dirty but it certainly doesn't have the same effect with higher output modern guitars like my JEM or my EMG DG20's Loaded strat, so its an old school method for old school guitars but it works awesomely with the Axe Fx as its so on the money! IMO
Hence at the end of my above soundcloud clip I tried to demonstrate the tone and gain variations only using the controls on the plank. it really is a simple patch. Any of the patch complexities are in the cab and tonematch mix / tweeks

and I tweek a lot less since FW18, it's just so epic to simply play.

Yes major updates are work to regain your mojo.

But what 2 amps or guitars sound exactly the same?

It´s always the same........you Need the power of an very loud Amp, no Mastervolume. Not easy to do with the Axe.

Angus Plays his leadsound with full Volume on the guitar, rhythmsound with less volume - no Pedals, nofx........only loudness and fingers........

It´s always the same........you Need the power of an very loud Amp, no Mastervolume. Not easy to do with the Axe.

Angus Plays his leadsound with full Volume on the guitar, rhythmsound with less volume - no Pedals, nofx........only loudness and fingers........

Back
Top Bottom