Help - Wah auto-engage

Tilt

Inspired
fw 6.0.2
It's really strange what happens to me: any preset i select, after some seconds the wah auto engage, even if the wha stomp doesn't exist in that specific preset, and even if the exp pedal is disconnected.

Any ideas?
thank you

Yep, I reported this some time ago. Someone posted something to look at, but I forgot and haven't had much time to play with it lately as I've been on the road. Will try to dig up where that was.

fw 6.0.2
It's really strange what happens to me: any preset i select, after some seconds the wah auto engage, even if the wha stomp doesn't exist in that specific preset, and even if the exp pedal is disconnected.

Any ideas?
thank you

When you disconnect pedals, you need to go to SETUP > I/O > CTRL and remove that pedal from any assignments.

So for example:

EXT CTRL 1 = NONE (rather than the default of PEDAL 1)

Any disconnected pedal port always reads a full 100% value, so if you have an auto-engaged modifier associated with a disconnected pedal, it will switch on (assuming you are using a position-based setting with the default Off value of 5%). That's how many of the factory presets are set so it sounds like that is your issue.

The AX8 manual (even the recently updated version announced by @Admin M@) is incorrect in describing the External Controller Initial Values. It says that those apply to footswitches and pedals in addition to MIDI CCs but they do not. A disconnected pedal port always reads as 100%.

When you disconnect pedals, you need to go to SETUP > I/O > CTRL and remove that pedal from any assignments.

So for example:

EXT CTRL 1 = NONE (rather than the default of PEDAL 1)

Any disconnected pedal port always reads a full 100% value, so if you have an auto-engaged modifier associated with a disconnected pedal, it will switch on (assuming you are using a position-based setting with the default Off value of 5%). That's how many of the factory presets are set so it sounds like that is your issue.

The AX8 manual (even the recently updated version announced by @Admin M@) is incorrect in describing the External Controller Initial Values. It says that those apply to footswitches and pedals in addition to MIDI CCs but they do not. A disconnected pedal port always reads as 100%.

the exp pedal is usually connected.
Same thing at the moment, although i have replaced all the preset in the ax8 with the new with the last content released (with the Quantum 6).

Any other ideas?
I can't find in the manual any info about how to make an hard reset.
I only find in

-setup>utility>erase>erase-all-preset (or erase all user cabinets), and i made it
- setup>utility>reset>reset system params (made it)

Does exist other factory reset?

i tried but i think it's another thing rather than an hard rest of the Fractal.

If you did:

-setup>utility>erase>erase-all-preset (or erase all user cabinets), and i made it
- setup>utility>reset>reset system params (made it)

then you have completely reset your unit, short of reinstalling the factory presets. Which was pretty nuclear - erasing all the presets is never necessary.

You should contact FAS Support. They will be able to help you understand all the circumstances in which the WAH block will auto-engage in unmodified factory presets.

I have the same problem. It doesn't seem that anyone wants to call it a "bug". The fix is to turn off external pedal 1 from the setup menu.

Well it strikes me that the wah shouldn't turn itself on, especially if there's no pedal connected. That would seem like a bug to me. Especially if it happens for many, many users. But that's just me.

My fix is to simply plug in my EXP pedal and put it on my desk. That way I don't have to remember to turn it back on in the setup menu. I'd hate to forget that, and start playing a gig with my pedal not activated.

Does anyone have any info on the exact details of the auto engage settings? If you use the "slow" setting, how long will it stay cocked in the heel down before it shuts down?

Does anyone have any info on the exact details of the auto engage settings? If you use the "slow" setting, how long will it stay cocked in the heel down before it shuts down?
When looking for more detailed information on a block, the Axe-Fx II manual is your friend.

The Axe II Manual said:
AUTOENG – Determines whether or not the block containing a modifier will automatically engage or bypass
based on the level of a modifier source. The SPEED (“SPD”) options engage the effect when the controller
changes more than 5% in any 20 ms interval. The POSITION (“POS”) options engage the effect when the
controller value is 5% greater than or less than the OFF VALUE (depending upon whether the OFF VALUE is less
than or greater than 50% respectively).
For example, setting the Auto-Engage to “SLOW SPD” will bypass the effect when the controller value is less
than, say, 5% (default). To engage the effect the controller (foot pedal) must be moved more than 5% in a 20
ms interval. This requires that the pedal be moved somewhat rapidly and prevents the effect from engaging
erroneously if the pedal droops. Setting the Auto-Engage to SPD POS will bypass the effect in the same
manner but the effect will engage when the controller exceeds 10% (5% + 5%) regardless of the rate of
change.

maybe i was not clear: for sure it's a bug!

-Happens on every preset
-The wah auto engage even if i don't touch anything, don't touch the pedal, don't touch any switch, don't touch the editor (while i'm playing, sometime after 60 seconds, sometimes earlier or after, the wah turns ON)
-the most shocking thing is that it happens also when i use preset that doesn't have a wah stomp!

1) Hard reset done (two times)
2) Deleted all the preset and loaded the new ones from the last release package

Now at last, i have put off in the menu the exp pedal in the ext1 (i use the 2), today i will see if like this works or not, but in any case it's not a right setting (until Quantum 5 didn't happen)
To me it's a bug

-the most shocking thing is that it happens also when i use preset that doesn't have a wah stomp!
This is key. You hear a wah-like change in sound...even when there's no Wah block in your preset.

That pretty much rules out the wah as part of the problem. Something else is changing.

I have the same problem. It doesn't seem that anyone wants to call it a "bug". The fix is to turn off external pedal 1 from the setup menu.

This is key. You hear a wah-like change in sound...even when there's no Wah block in your preset.

That pretty much rules out the wah as part of the problem. Something else is changing.

So if i turn off external pedal 1 from the set up menu it seems to works fine, but in the past were not necessary...Isn't strange?

So if i turn off external pedal 1 from the set up menu it seems to works fine, but in the past were not necessary...Isn't strange?
What's strange is that the problem exists when there's no Wah block. But it goes away when you disable the pedal. Those two things don't add up. Something else is going on.

I only noticed this issue with factory presets that have a wah block on. When I disabled the external pedal 1 (I didn't have an external pedal at the time), the problem went away. I got an external pedal a couple weeks ago, but I plugged that into 2 and haven't gone back to the factory presets as I've barely been able to play the last couple weeks.

maybe i was not clear: for sure it's a bug!

-Happens on every preset
-The wah auto engage even if i don't touch anything, don't touch the pedal, don't touch any switch, don't touch the editor (while i'm playing, sometime after 60 seconds, sometimes earlier or after, the wah turns ON)

1) Hard reset done (two times)
2) Deleted all the preset and loaded the new ones from the last release package

Now at last, i have put off in the menu the exp pedal in the ext1 (i use the 2), today i will see if like this works or not, but in any case it's not a right setting (until Quantum 5 didn't happen)
To me it's a bug

I've been having this very same issue all of a sudden. Been using the AX8 for a year now and it's only now that this issue has started. Also, to note it happens only on the factory presets.
The problems are exactly as described above. The preset doesn't have a Wah block and it engages automatically after 40-60 secs. Go to another preset and back and its gone, only to reappear 40-60 secs later.

Has a solution been found for this yet ? I'm using the latest AX8 firmware.

Thanks

I’m stuck too... Brand spankin noob, and added a moog mp3. Wah works great, but stays active in ALL presets now, even though wah block isn’t showing. I did add wah block to “Badger 18”, and it seems like it added wah globally, to every preset, but not wah block showing. Help. Please!

I’m stuck too... Brand spankin noob, and added a moog mp3. Wah works great, but stays active in ALL presets now, even though wah block isn’t showing. I did add wah block to “Badger 18”, and it seems like it added wah globally, to every preset, but not wah block showing. Help. Please!

Well I wrote to Fractal about this and as always their customer support is just outstanding. Here's what they wrote back to me that helped me fix this problem :)

1. Enter the SETUP menu by pressing SHIFT then STORE/SETUP

2. Enter the I/O area by pressing footswitch #2

3. Go to the Control Page (CTRL) by pressing PAGE three times

4. Turn "E" to select EXTERNAL 1.

5. Turn "A" clockwise (SLOWLY!) until "NONE" is selected.

6. Repeat for EXTERNAL 2, 3 and 4, setting them each to NONE.

7. Press EXIT two times.

Reboot the AX8

Cheers !!!

You have a Wah block in your preset, or you wouldn't hear one.

The home screen of your AX8 does not show which blocks you have in your preset. It shows what your footswitches are assigned to. To see all the blocks in your preset, page over to the Layout screen.

Back
Top Bottom