Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked some stuff up. The population of Hubei, China is 60 million.
When it got bad they shut the entire thing down and everyone started wearing masks.

According to John Hopkins Hubei has 3,193 deaths to date.
.005% of the population.

USA is 330 million. We took our damn time responding to things.
4,361 deaths.
.001%. For now..... :(

Germany: 83 million. They also clamped down hard. 858 deaths.
.001%.

Last edited:
We are currently more stocked up on booze than we are on food.
Unopened refrigerated shelf-life of a gallon of milk: 2 weeks
Unopened refrigerated shelf-life of a dozen bottles of stout: 2 years (but whose life is so joyless that it'd last that long?)

In a pandemic, when our trips into public markets should be few and far between,
you owe it to your neighbors to drink beer.

You don't want to be a science-denier, do you?

;)

Well, you can freeze milk - just found this out.
We're trying it with a half gallon right now.
I stopped drinking so no beer.
My wife, on the other hand, has enough red wine to cater a large Italian wedding. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: jon
My gf is the same with the wine.....she legit drinks out those 3L bottles before I even know it's been opened!

Unopened refrigerated shelf-life of a gallon of milk: 2 weeks
Unopened refrigerated shelf-life of a dozen bottles of stout: 2 years (but whose life is so joyless that it'd last that long?)

In a pandemic, when our trips into public markets should be few and far between,
you owe it to your neighbors to drink beer.

You don't want to be a science-denier, do you?

;)

I should have paid attention. I started to have a bowl of Cheerios and the milk was sour. That would not have been a problem with stout.

Back on the subject of the apparently-frozen-in-amber stats in China, I just saw these:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xtent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/wuhan-deaths-03272020182846.html

And also, this economist's Twitter thread:

Now, the usual caveats apply:
  • you shouldn't trust people who lie for a living
  • you shouldn't trust random people opining on Twitter
  • you shouldn't trust some guy's rough count of daily urn output at a crematorium as a basis for public health policy

Still, my guess is that they're cooking the books, and that, in particular, it's not plausible that Hong Kong still has a net increase in active cases (complicated by the usual jagged line of inconsistent data-reporting), but the mainland, somehow, has no new cases (and a perfectly smooth line). And if Alan Cole's numbers are correct, it's pretty silly to think Hong Kong, alone, is accounting for 20% of all cases in the whole country, despite having only 1% of the population.

Yeah, I'm not buying that.

My gf is the same with the wine.....she legit drinks out those 3L bottles before I even know it's been opened!

I told Linda that if she starts drinking before 5:00pm each night I'm going to start giving her sh*t.
But ya, she knows how to go through the stuff once the sun is down!

it's pretty silly to think Hong Kong, alone, is accounting for 20% of all cases in the whole country, despite having only 1% of the population.

Yeah, I'm not buying that.

You'll find roughly the same numbers when you look at New York and the USA. With travel restrictions, these pockets of hot activity will be the norm.

You'll find roughly the same numbers when you look at New York and the USA. With travel restrictions, these pockets of hot activity will be the norm.
That's true (about the numbers), but have you considered the implication?

You're taking New York, where the U.S. had one of the biggest and earliest COVID outbreaks, and comparing it to the broader U.S., where numbers are lower. And then you're saying, "This pattern we see in the U.S. is much like how Hong Kong has high numbers, whereas the broader PRC has lower numbers."

But don't you see that's backwards of what it should be?

Yes, New York ought to have higher numbers than, say, Chicago or Charlotte or St. Louis or L.A., because the outbreak in NYC started earlier. The other cities got their outbreaks later. BUT, cities in mainland China ought to have higher numbers than Hong Kong, for precisely the same reason: The outbreak started in the mainland, not in Hong Kong.

So the numbers in China are backwards from what the timeline tells us they should be. The outbreak started in the mainland and eventually spread to Hong Kong. To be sure, Hong Kong is more densely-populated than many rural regions on the mainland, and population-concentration promotes viral growth, but the virus entered various other large cities on the mainland before, or at around the same time, that it got to Hong Kong.

So if anything we'd expect cities on the mainland to at least be in parity with Hong Kong, if not ahead. How come they're not?

Last edited:
If you can’t understand why staying inside and away from people is important right now, I think you’ve really missed what’s going on.
True...if he can't understand that. But it isn't necessary to add that to his comment. His comment might even have been a joke, but if not, it was narrowly asserting manipulative motives to the persons who "put on the red light," a la Roxanne.

If he was serious about that, well...I already said in an earlier comment that I thought that was a bit silly. (When dealing with humans, never ascribe to malice what is more easily-explained as boneheaded incompetence!) But even granting that it was silly, it's a tad uncharitable to ascribe further silliness beyond what was in the original.

If he comes back and says, "I don't understand why staying inside and away from people is important right now," then by all means, have at it. :rolleyes:

True...if he can't understand that. But it isn't necessary to add that to his comment. His comment might even have been a joke, but if not, it was narrowly asserting manipulative motives to the persons who "put on the red light," a la Roxanne.

If he was serious about that, well...I already said in an earlier comment that I thought that was a bit silly. (When dealing with humans, never ascribe to malice what is more easily-explained as boneheaded incompetence!) But even granting that it was silly, it's a tad uncharitable to ascribe further silliness beyond what was in the original.

If he comes back and says, "I don't understand why staying inside and away from people is important right now," then by all means, have at it. :rolleyes:
People around the nation aren’t joking about their view that stay at home takes away constitutional rights. They are going outside - some in groups of angry people - to claim their rights, specifically going against the stay at home orders saying it’s unconstitutional.

Some of these people say the whole virus thing is a hoax for government to control them. Others say they don’t care if anyone gets sick because it’s their right to go out and spread it if they want.

Amazing and horrible. Wake up people.

Well, you can freeze milk - just found this out.

Important!!!! Milk expands as it freezes. Don't use a full container.
The half gallon I put in about an hour ago had already started bulging! Thanks Google.
I removed about 1/4 cup.

Amazing and horrible. Wake up people.

Lived on the border of NH for 37 years. Lots of people like that up there.

over 18 and you are not required to wear motorcycle helmets - common to see a dozen riders pulled over on the MA-NH
border to either remove (headed north) or put on their head gear (south).

new-hampshire-welcome-sign.jpg

Last edited:
The older I get, the more I like glass half full

If you have a empty glass to begin with, and fill it half way... it half full.
If your glass started out full, and you drink it then its half empty.
Unless someone pours you a glass if water, your glass always begins empty.
So... your glass will always be half full....
and a glass given to you in kindness or courtesy is always going to be half empty...
now does that sound backwards?

I am not sure where the number of fatalities is coming from but watching Worldmeters it is grim.
if we look at closed cases not ongoing ,that have had an outcome ,the death vs recovered is much higher ,approaching the 20% mark in some places
it is scary as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom