Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two strains, the S and L strains. The L is much more lethal.
Thanks. Once I had the correct keywords for doing so "L strain S strain" I was able to find some articles.

This one explains the two strains:
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/
...but it describes the L strain as being more "prevalent" and also, "[The L-type] might be more aggressive in transmitting itself...."

I don't see any article claiming that the L strain is more lethal, however (if by "lethal" one means "those infected are more likely to die or become seriously ill"). Did you find an article which said as much?

Either way, here's one piece of good news:
Commenting on the [research about the two strains], Dr Michael Skinner, reader in virology at the Imperial College London, said it was too early to speculate on any practical consequences based on what he called an “interesting observation”.

He added: “At the moment there’s no sign that it will affect vaccination strategies, as (unless I’m mistaken) the mutations don’t seem to have affected the sequence of the S1 spike protein which is the antigen most people are targeting for vaccine production.”
Good to know.

Last edited:
I'm at work today and feeling the beginning of a seasonal cold coming on. At least so far that's what it feels like. Damnit.
I felt this too. It can be stress causing this as well. Try to find vitamin c and B stress or b complex. Take deep breaths throughout the day.

Both my wife and son had cold-like symptoms a week ago. No fever or cough, though, so unlikely to be anything related to coronavirus. I got nothin'. Not even a cold this year. I know, famous last words.

Yesterday morning I felt something coming on - mostly head congestion with some coughing.
We immediately put our plan into place anyway. I stayed in my room with the door
closed and we Lysol sprayed everything I might have handled. I let her know what
I needed and she left it by the door. Took some medicine and then a nap.
Woke up feeling OK so we're back to normal quarantine.

If we're sharing symptoms, mild fever and cough @ 3/1 weekend, fever quickly went away but a mild dry cough persisted. And since last week and worsening, I feel a little pain in my chest as well as a slight tightening of the airway or something like it. The chest pain is weird, gets uncomfortable when I have bad posture and worse for a minute or so when I come out of the bad posture. Mild case of the virus? Timeline seems weird though. Some other flu and the cough irritated my chest? Psychosomatic? Dunno.

Still can't get tested, and even if I tested positive I'd be doing the same thing I am now, so it is what it is. I don't expect to be able to get tested now with the numbers growing.

How does the test work btw, if someone has it once does he test positive for it even months from when he intially got infected?

How does the test work btw, if someone has it once does he test positive for it even months from when he intially got infected?

No, once you're recovered (latest news has it) you're (mostly) immune and will test negative for the virus.
I have not yet heard of an antibody test, which I think would be almost equally as useful, because if you're immune you can go and help others, in particular the elderly and other high risk people

... once you're recovered (latest news has it) and will test negative for the virus

Doesn't mean your risk of potentially infecting others is necessarily zero though.

... because if you're immune you can go and help others, in particular the elderly and other high risk people

Potentially. But it may be better to help those currently sick (granted with some risk of maybe getting a different strain).

Unfortunately we all have to choose our actions based on limited information.

I'm at work today and feeling the beginning of a seasonal cold coming on. At least so far that's what it feels like. Damnit.

Its interesting reading about all the symptoms of Covid19 - for allergy sufferers like myself - 80% of those symptoms is what we feel every day !
it is crazy how the mind plays tricks on me though - every time I feel a symptom, my mind is like " I have corona!" - but in reality, I know its just my allergies - which have been REALLY bad this year....

Doesn't mean your risk of potentially infecting others is necessarily zero though.

I think it is. If you don't carry the virus, you can't infect anyone

Potentially. But it may be better to help those currently sick (granted with some risk of maybe getting a different strain).

from a "possible infection" point of view even the infected can help the sick, but only immune can safely be in contact with the higher risk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom