Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this is all getting really close to home for me quite literally. I work at a medical university which is also home to the CDC. Their campus is directly across the street from my office building. Knowing that this virus has been in my immediate vicinity while at work was a bit worrisome for me but, I took relief in the fact that I live 50 miles east of Atlanta and at least while not at work I would be out of the "hot zone" so to speak. Today, I find out that they are making a state park that is less than 10 miles from my home a quarantine base for people who have been exposed to covid-19.:coldsweat:

2 of the kids in their school were just diagnosed.

I may go Cliff on this as I do see some worry lines on their face as we discuss this. Even if I still don't consider them 'at risk'.

The only thing I consider is if someone in our family has this...the opportunity for medical attention (if necessary) will diminish as time goes on.

R

So, this is all getting really close to home for me quite literally. I work at a medical university which is also home to the CDC. Their campus is directly across the street from my office building. Knowing that this virus has been in my immediate vicinity while at work was a bit worrisome for me but, I took relief in the fact that I live 50 miles east of Atlanta and at least while not at work I would be out of the "hot zone" so to speak. Today, I find out that they are making a state park that is less than 10 miles from my home a quarantine base for people who have been exposed to covid-19.:coldsweat:
I live about 3 or 4 miles from Travis Air Force Base... Which is where many quarantined people were (are?) housed when brought back from China.

I live about 3 or 4 miles from Travis Air Force Base... Which is where many quarantined people were (are?) housed when brought back from China.
Sounds like that's where all the Americans on the cruise ship that docked in Oakland are heading today as well.

I guess it's gonna be getting close to all of us before long. Lots of feelings all at once. I feel so bad for the people who have it, I feel fear about how quickly it's spreading and how close it's beginning to get to all aspects of my life, and feeling anger about how it's been handled up to this point.

Sounds like that's where all the Americans on the cruise ship that docked in Oakland are heading today as well.
news mentioned 4 different places. all should be off the ship by wednesday.

as the video i posted above closes with, the more we worry now [by preparing], the less we'll have to worry later [by becoming sick].

Not my kid, but could have been! :D ...

:rolleyes: ...Ha, yeah!...and all that would happen, is that she would immediately demand, then summarily wolf-down a box o’ chick’n nuggets, “to get the nasty taste owt my mowf” ..burp! ...say “Daaaaaaad, I’m feeling funny”, run around in circles like some ??? maniac, for forty-five minutes before crashing out on the living room floor, ....only to wake up sixteen-and-a-half minutes later..

1583800652860.gif

You, or I? :confused:

1583803095189.jpeg

But as long as school is mandatory we're screwed.

I have to say I might break the law in that situation. These kind of laws work for normal situations, not the one that seems to be coming. And does the state override good judgment? Many times yes.

True this!

there’s a positive less than 10 minutes from
Me, next to my doctors office. My sons high school is huge. I might pull him out early. It’s not about panicking, just being proactive. My son also wants to go to a metal concert in Philadelphia this coming weekend. I’ve been to those mosh pits before. People packed like sardines smashing into each other, then going home!!!!! Unfortunately concentrated community events really need to be cancelled for the time being, at least to slow things down.

I wish we could do that. We burned through all the unexcused absence time for the kids in December when we had our medical emergency. So everyone's out of random absence days and the school won't accept, "Children are fantastically unhygienic disease carriers" as an excusable absence reason. :( Extra curricular activities have been curbed for now. No parties. But as long as school is mandatory we're screwed. Not if, but when I figure...

Our leaders are failing us. Schools should have been closed by now. You've basically been forced into close contact with all the families of all the students in the school.

Our leaders are failing us. Schools should have been closed by now. You've basically been forced into close contact with all the families of all the students in the school.
Yup. S. Korea is the model to follow. They closed schools, instituted quarantines and recovery facilities. Disinfected the streets. Drive-thru testing facilities. Very proactive. As a result the number of new cases has dropped considerably. Smart, especially considering the case fatality rate there is over 17%.

Meanwhile in the US we're being told that "it's just a flu".

Yup. S. Korea is the model to follow. They closed schools, instituted quarantines and recovery facilities. Disinfected the streets. Drive-thru testing facilities. Very proactive. As a result the number of new cases has dropped considerably. Smart, especially considering the case fatality rate there is over 17%.

Meanwhile in the US we're being told that "it's just a flu".
ugh i have so much to say. let's please adopt some of these practices here!

Not being defeatist, but, getting pro-active with this bitch: Good information goes a long way to helping alleviate fear and feelings of helplessness if you are taking all this seriously. Some good info regarding what to look out-for, and what you should do if you think you show symptoms here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

I'm usually up waaaay-before the birds, do my shopping (usually) before most people are up, too. The 24 hour stores are pretty deserted early in the a.m., which might be a better time to shop for a while, if you are in a high-risk area. Just a thought.

I might stock-up on some good-for-you, high nutrient easily digestible and liquid foods that would, normally, see a person through a few weeks of sickness.. You don’t have to buy half-a rain-forest worth off toilet paper, not sure what that is all about - mad bastards ..but, might not be a horrible idea to stock up on some soft, easily digestible fluid foods, supplements, vitamins, high caloric protein drinks etc., stuff to see a person through a bout of this crap if they have no-other available immediate treatment.

Being prepared doesn’t need to include some ??? ..hand-dug back-yard bunker lined with tin-foil and pictures of Beyoncé. Just stock-up on some common sense supplies to see you through a few weeks of sickness if you find yourself laid-up while you wait for necessary treatment - which might be necessary, if there is any large influx of people seeking treatment in your area.

Anything like this, I like to beat it. I hope for the best and prepare (without getting too stupid) for the worst. I kinda have made my peace that this thing may eventually tip its hat in my direction. Not defeatism, just realistically, the way it moves, there’s a half-decent chance of coming face-to face with it.

My demise, however, ideally includes a motorcycle, a bunch of sharks, a pork-chop, and a large vat of tomato soup. So, taking precautions that this thing doesn’t get too much in the way of all that. ;0)

I wish we could do that. We burned through all the unexcused absence time for the kids in December when we had our medical emergency. So everyone's out of random absence days and the school won't accept, "Children are fantastically unhygienic disease carriers" as an excusable absence reason. :( Extra curricular activities have been curbed for now. No parties. But as long as school is mandatory we're screwed. Not if, but when I figure...

I seriously don't think there will be much in the way of consequences if you pull them out of school. You'd just be doing what you feel is in their best interests. Administratively, it'll take a while for them to even think about taking any action and by then they'll probably be out of school anyhow.

I seriously don't think there will be much in the way of consequences if you pull them out of school. You'd just be doing what you feel is in their best interests. Administratively, it'll take a while for them to even think about taking any action and by then they'll probably be out of school anyhow.
I have no garuntee the board won't make them repeat the year for being truant. :( If I did, I'd pull them in a heartbeat. Since December we've been back to seriously considering home schooling...

Our lack of testing is an embarrassment. Officials clearly want to hide how many people are really infected and say "See. We have it contained. Our numbers aren't going up."

One of my coworkers was in China when everything was starting to go bad. He flew back the second week of February and said there were so many people coughing on the plane that he was sure he was going to get the virus. He voluntarily quarantined himself at home, and on the 12th day started a fever. That progressed to a cough. He has tried several times to get officials in Oregon to test him, but they told him that they can only test 40 people per day and they would only test severe cases. His case has been fairly mild, but he's been running a fever for almost 2 weeks now.

Thankfully he was responsible enough to self quarantine.

Biggest issue in the US is that due to our lack of a social safety net, few people can afford to quarantine themselves. I'd imagine that the people on this board, ones who can afford nice guitars, buying things like Fractal gear, are probably in a position where they can afford to stay home, take vacation if needed, or ride out a few weeks without a paycheck. I'd say we're in a small minority. Most people will go to work sick, or know that they'll lose their jobs, or just not make any money. It's those people $300 from being homeless that are really going to get screwed here. Even more so if they get sick and can't swing their $5000 deductible, if they even have insurance. It's not like most small businesses can absorb the loss of paying people that aren't showing up.

Going to get ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom