Help Requested: New AFX XL + and digital distortion in the sound

ChrisYoung

Inspired
Hi All,
Hoping someone can help me with my XL+ problem. It sounds like digital distortion to me. It really stands out when you play single notes on the G string, especially past the 5th fret.
I just bought this XL+ new from Fractal.
What Ive tried while playing both single coil guitars, humbucker and EMG single coil loaded guitars...
1. Going to I/O and adjusting the input gain. Even turned down almost all the way, the sound goes lower but the distortion sound is still there. Also adjusting the physical knob for output level 1 does not affect the distortion.
2. Checking sample rate settings. Although I'm using the 1/4" outputs on the back, I have also tried having the USB connection plugged in. I have a focusrite 8Pre X and its set to 48khz. Correctly changing the sample rate for my whole signal chain, makes no difference to my AFX distorted signal.
3. Unplugging everything and going directly from my AFX to the inputs of my Mackie HR824 mk II monitors. Distortion is still there.
4. Checking the AFX internal power amp settings. Again, even if turned down the strange distortion is still there.
5. Headphone out jack on AFX. Distortion is still there.
6. Check for clipping of LED's. No red LED's are lighting. I'm barely lighting the yellow lights.
7. Utility menu Status page. None of the meters are close to peaking. Using just stock patches for example, preset 11 Brit800, the cpu usage is hanging at 90%. Seems like a lot of resources being used here.
8. Ive tried resetting all the factory settings and starting over. No change. Ive tried reloading the latest firmware. No change.
9. Yes, cab and amp modeling are turned on.

I'm sure Ive tried some other stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment, with no luck. I can't think of anything else.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Chris

Is it like the A/D converters are clipping or screwing up? Any chance you can slave the Axe FX's clock to your Focusrite clock? It sounds like all the outputs are working right, and they're just giving you what they're seeing at the input. If modifying your gain structure doesn't fix it, I'd blame the A/D. Have you tried using other inputs? Have you tried an instrument input on your Focusrite, and digital out to the Axe FX, to bypass its A/D?

If this has been acting like this from day 1, it's probably a defective unit.

Cables are fine. Ive rotated them out already. Headphones are Shure SRH940's. They are fine as well.

Grog...
Thats what it sounds like to me as well. Something in the A to D. I'll try your other suggestions.
Thanks!

This is just a suggestion....but I've noticed digitally sounding distortion when the axe cpu % is too high. I would try a patch with the cpu much lower....like 70% or less. Just until you've got a feel for it. This way you can rule out the axe cpu usage as being the culprit.

5th fret and up on the G string is the archetypal area for ghost notes. Do a search.

5th fret and up on the G string is the archetypal area for ghost notes. Do a search.
I know. I reference the g string as being the worst offender. But strumming say an open g chord sounds way to harsh on the high strings, with that digital distortion. It's an unpleasant distortion.

Try white/pink/brown noise thru the axe fx, in the instrument input, in the line inputs, in the digital inputs... if it happens on all the analog ins, and not the digital ins, you likely have converter issues

most reports of "digital distortion" by people new to the Axe is actually the ghost notes that FractalAudio mentioned. real amps create this, and you can hear it especially when close mic'd, which is what the Axe is modeling. this is completely normal. the solution usually is to find a similar amp that doesn't exhibit the ghosting. searching the forum could produce the Advanced parameter that reduces the ghosting, but with so many amps, you are bound to find 5 others that work for you.

don't get stuck in the self-imposed trap of "i HAVE to use this particular amp." it's the Axe. there are many, MANY options for you to use.

I think it sounds good too, a lot of high end comes out when picking hard the G string, but it sounds fine.

Are You kepping the high cut above 10K or using the preamp in the Cab block?
Not sure if it's fret buzz, but it might be a resonance between your speaker and the pickups/strings or some resonance coming from the springs on the back of the guitar

Try it with non-guitar sound too. Play an wave file from your sound card through the Axe FX (analog and digital inputs), but be sure to set the input gain on the axe fx appropriately.

if your saying this is occurring with more than 2-3 guitars I would have a very difficult time being told "ghost notes" or fret buzz is the cause. I have had my xl+ for about a year and couldn't be happier but hey if your not happy have them send you another unit.

Sounds like you solved it. I would have mentioned switching to DC power in the amp block. There was a post from Cliff that mentioned turning up Sag might introduce ghost noting in some amp models but switching to DC would reduce this.

I actually suspected fret buzz and the harmonics of the G string, but thought it a bit odd it was amplifying so much. lol
I still have a Mk V and JVM 410 and am not getting it like I am on the Axe.
I guess I had my answer when I plugged into the USA clean patch and there was no harshness, picking the same note.
Thanks again everyone for your help. Its kinda put my mind at ease knowing its not the unit itself.
:)
-Chris

If you know how to record a dry track through SPDIF, you could share the dry track and the preset you're using and I could try re-amping it, to see if I have the same issue with your dry track. I have an Axe-Fx II Mark I and an Axe-Fx II XL+, so I could test and verify if it's an issue with your Axe-Fx II.

I wrote a tutorial on how to re-amp using a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, so it may be similar to your Focusrite but you wouldn't be able to use my MixControl files and would have to setup your Focusrite Control manually.

Here's the link to my tutorial:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0d1t78py5e4ri/AACbtdbjE5KZMQSS2Z_RI6Iha?dl=0

Back
Top Bottom