help on getting rid of string mute echo - too much gain?

emghz

Let me post a sample of what I'm talking about. Normally, I'd deduce this is a gain issue and I think part of it IS a gain issue, but I was hoping maybe someone can help me understand how to effectively implementing a practical noise gate...

I think it's a gain issue because when I switch it up to a more gainy preset (for my guitar with ONE emghz) the echo becomes even more apparent. But this mix sounds quite organic with just .75 gain. I've set it to lower to around .5, but then it just sounds like shit.

Equipment Axe Fx II & Seymour Duncan TB12 (Screamin' Demon) bridge + SH6N (Seymourizer) neck
https://www.mboxdrive.com/why string eko.mp3

But how in the world is .75 input drive excessive gain?
Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 5.23.43 PM.png

i followed the last comment since im modeling a jvm410 - i dont actually have issues with hum UNTIL i start muting and it doesn't mute all the way it has the feedback. It still happens

Hard to judge the actual gain without seeing the Drive and GEQ settings. They could be contributing a lot?

What about the 'Level' parameter of the GEQ? '0.00'?

Having the GEQ in front of the Amp will shape the distortion character, not so much the final EQ. The large boosts in the mids will hit the amp harder, and cranking the 'Level' will hit the Amp harder.

Doesn't look like there would be very much gain with those settings? Have you altered the global 'Gain' parameter? Or the 'Level' parameter in the Input block?

I'm gonna say the unpopular thing: it's you muting technique. Tie a sock around your strings at the first fret, stuff the other one between your tremolo strings. Try again. If it's quiet now you will have to work on your muting.

I'm gonna say the unpopular thing: it's you muting technique. Tie a sock around your strings at the first fret, stuff the other one between your tremolo strings. Try again. If it's quiet now you will have to work on your muting.
not out of ego or anything, but it's not the mute because it doesnt happen with my EMGHZ h4 guitar. It's the dual humbucker set up I'm not used to. Also tried what you suggested with the socks and it's not quiet. There's a hum.
What about the 'Level' parameter of the GEQ? '0.00'?

Having the GEQ in front of the Amp will shape the distortion character, not so much the final EQ. The large boosts in the mids will hit the amp harder, and cranking the 'Level' will hit the Amp harder.

Doesn't look like there would be very much gain with those settings? Have you altered the global 'Gain' parameter? Or the 'Level' parameter in the Input block?
Yeah sorry - the level for it is 0.00 DB.

Where's the global Gain parameter? Can we zoom? Haha. Sorry.

1635911258482.png
1635911274197.png
(didn't touch the other settings of the amp)
1635911285576.png
This is what the signal chain looks like now

1635911310479.png

Front panel... Global button, Config tab, NAV down to 'Amp Gain'
I haven't used this part much - i thought i could do everything with axe edit but amp gain is 0 DB right now. So even though it doesn't have a lot of gain, I still dont know why it hums. Is it cause I'm using the jvm on red?

Hum is a different issue.
  1. Is everything plugged into the same outlet?
  2. Have you tried different cables? (even any XLR output cables)
  3. Have you tried different guitars?
  4. Are you standing close to your computer and/or monitor?
  5. Have you tried a different room?
  6. Are there any appliances close by?
  7. Any fluorescent lighting close by?

Any tips on what I should set it as? It's 0 and everything for the input gate is default right now. I'm using the intel effect. also do you have a discord i can add you on?
The two parameters that I mentioned should typically be set to '0'. They are there for special circumstances or to fix issues?

Last edited:
maybe im not describing it correctly - can I record it and show you what I mean? to answer your question about different cables etc yes. It's the guitar - I'm pretty sure the pick ups are too hot.
Hum is a different issue.
  1. Is everything plugged into the same outlet?
  2. Have you tried different cables? (even any XLR output cables)
  3. Have you tried different guitars?
  4. Are you standing close to your computer and/or monitor?
  5. Have you tried a different room?
  6. Are there any appliances close by?
  7. Any fluorescent lighting close by?

Back
Top Bottom