Help! Noise issue with new FM3

Then odds are really good the problem is not in the units themselves.

You have not posted the presets in question or the system settings. Please do. Export the presets and back up the system and fc settings then zip them together and attach them.

Those allow us to duplicate your system on ours.
I’ll do this when I get a chance this evening or when I get off so you have a better chance of helping.. I do appreciate it.

Taking it to a different house will only make sense if that house has a less messy EMI/RF environment.
Recognize also that pros deal with this kind of noise interference at venues every day. Just try to dial it out to the best of your ability.
I'd also try a different guitar -- maybe something with noiseless pickups if you can.

If you ultimately find the interference is in your house, and you decide to run the ground wire to copper pipe, if it was me, I'd definitely check with a knowledgeable electrician before doing so. I seem to recall reading about potential "back-feeding" issues, or something to that sort, when running separate paths to ground. There are very specific rules to this sort of stuff, say when installing a separate sub-panel in a garage, eg.

If you ultimately find the interference is in your house, and you decide to run the ground wire to copper pipe, if it was me, I'd definitely check with a knowledgeable electrician before doing so. I seem to recall reading about potential "back-feeding" issues, or something to that sort, when running separate paths to ground. There are very specific rules to this sort of stuff, say when installing a separate sub-panel in a garage, eg.
It's not a good idea to randomly run grounds to the pipes, especially in an old house with old wiring and plumbing, especially if it was done before the modern codes were in place. A quick search for "grounding water pipe" brings up things like https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/water-pipes-grounding-purposes which say unh-uh, don't do it.

I'm in a house built in the late '30s and it's a noisy mess, even humbucker guitars and high quality cables can't entirely remove the EMI/RF. I have a friend who's an electrical engineer who consolidated our several sub-panels into one, and I'm to the point of calling him in to see if there's anything I can do short of building a Faraday cage in my room.

^^ Yeah, it has something to do with giving electricity another path to ground.
I remember reading about whole-house standby generators, and one of the manufacturers was having issues with fried circuit boards. Turns out, installers were adding a dedicated ground from the unit, right at the pad site, which, I'm not positive about the details, but it was wrong. I believe it was related to lightning strikes within the area (didn't have to be super close) back-feeding through that ground, and through the unit. There's more to grounding than what you may think.

A I know is it has worked for me for over 13 years with different high gain rigs and never had an issue. Ymmv
Most electric boxes are bonded to the cold water pipes as well as to a grounding rod.

My shits completely silent. 😎

Just called the electrician (30yrs in the trade) that upgraded my panel earlier this year and asked him about it. He said it's fine doing that and will still trip a breaker if there is a fault....just FYI

Last edited:
I think the whole ground wire to pipe idea is cool. I just don’t think I’d feel comfortable doing that as I rent the house. Plus I don’t know what I’m doing. I really have no idea. Every room is the same no matter what I unplug. I’ll zip the files when I get a free moment and I’m not at work.

I've had this experience too.... it's like there's a noise gate on all the time... or the noise gate isn't actually shutting off when you engage it. I'll try and see if I can replicate it too.... I don't remember which presets I experience it on at the moment.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Question: Can you set the gate threshold so high you can't even open it? That'll tell you you're manipulating the gate parameters toward a useful end. Try the classic gate. Did you say what gate type you're running?

Question: Can you set the gate threshold so high you can't even open it? That'll tell you you're manipulating the gate parameters toward a useful end. Try the classic gate. Did you say what gate type you're running?
It doesn’t matter how high I set the threshold. The noise continues for a few moments after a palm mute or muted note. I’m using the classic gate. I still get noise no matter what setting I use

What are your gate settings for your closest, best attempt? Can you film a vid of your gate parameters with the gate gain meter working in FM3 Edit or the front panel?

What are your gate settings for your closest, best attempt? Can you film a vid of your gate parameters with the gate gain meter working in FM3 Edit or the front panel?
I can try and do that later tonight. The closest I’ve got is threshold:-20.0 ratio:2.30 attack:1.00 release:10.0 in the classic gate. Still noise but not as much and it’s killing the tone

Are you guitar straight into FM3 with a patch cord?
Yup straight into input 1 with a guitar cable. I’ve tried input 1 and 2 with the same result. Also tried using the different outputs. XLR through output 1 and a TRS cable through output 2. Same result.

When you back off the noise gate all the way without playing anything, that stuff that you hear on the palm mutes comes in and stays, right? And when you palm mute that way, you don't get the pumping — just constant interference?

heres one of the presets
Try backing Master Volume down to 3 or so. That'll clean up some of the junk. As a side benefit, it also tightens up the tone. Make up any volume loss with the Level parameter.

I'm not sure the boost is buying you much, either. You'd get even less noise with it off.

Try backing Master Volume down to 3 or so. That'll clean up some of the junk. As a side benefit, it also tightens up the tone. Make up any volume loss with the Level parameter.

I'm not sure the boost is buying you much, either. You'd get even less noise with it off.
I just tried that and also tried some different amps. No matter what I do that noise comes through with the gate. Literally makes any mutes to annoying to do. I appreciate all the help.

Back
Top Bottom