Help! Noise issue with new FM3

^^Less amplification of the interference.

The interference is the same , but not as noticable.

</Annoying pedantic mode>
By that line of reasoning,

Less gain = less guitar volume, but...

“^^Less amplification of the guitar volume.
The guitar volume is the same, but not as noticeable.”
</megapedantic mode> :p

Last edited:
Y

I sent them a message. It’s rather odd because I have absolutely zero issues with the clean tones or moderately driven clean tones.
That's not a behavior that's isolated to modelers or this particular one. Crank a drive pedal and stick it in front of an amp that's on 10 and you'll have the exact same problem. It's because of all that gain, and is why clean or moderately driven clean tones don't do it. The fix is to roll your guitar volume back when you expect a quiet passage, and again, is what you'd have to do with a regular rig.

Reactions: Rex
That's not a behavior that's isolated to modelers or this particular one. Crank a drive pedal and stick it in front of an amp that's on 10 and you'll have the exact same problem. It's because of all that gain, and is why clean or moderately driven clean tones don't do it. The fix is to roll your guitar volume back when you expect a quiet passage, and again, is what you'd have to do with a regular rig.
My man, the issue I’m having is literally on the decay of palm mutes or just any muting at all. You can hear interference and then it goes away. I’ve tried all kinds of different gate settings. Literally anything you can think of. I’ve been playing for quite some time and I’m aware of what’s normal and what’s not. I’ve never had this issue with any other gear I’ve used in this house.

The guitar is pretty quiet and noise free for the most part but if I try do any palm mutes or chugs the decay is unbearable to do to extremely annoying noise which then dissolves shortly after. Ive tried messing with the release and multiple gate settings with no success.

I literally had a hx stomp a week ago and never had any of these issues and it was noise free with minimal gating. Same thing with an actual tube amp and drive pedal a while back. This is the only time I’ve never been able to have a noise free decay with a noise gate. Lol.

What are your exact settings on the Input block?
Just today I experienced noise when I increased the ratio of the gate (type: Intelligent), most noticable when playing low notes and thus also on palm mute decays.
Maybe try different Input settings and also the "Classic" input gate type?

Also I am not sure if anybody mentioned this: Are you going direct from your guitar to the FM3 or is there something else in front that could be bypassed? Is the problem the same when using Input 2?

if you can, drill a small hole to run a ground wire to the cold water pipe and switch out the outlet for modern plug to accommodate it I'd highly recommend, I lived in a old single family in the 80's, w/knob and tube and fuse box, at the time I had synthesizers, MC500 and a GP8 it really cleaned up things in my music room, but that's just my suggestion. Good luck..
This.

My house built 1958. Ground hum using high gain no matter what I tried. Very frustrating. Ran a wire from my rack rail to a cold water pipe in the basement...dead silent now. Only thing that worked for me. Didn't mess with house wiring whatsoever.

Last edited:
This.

My house built 1958. Ground hum using high gain no matter what I tried. Very frustrating. Ran a wire from my rack rail to a cold water pipe in the basement...dead silent now. Only thing that worked for me. Didn't mess with house wiring whatsoever.
Yep, its the fix in most cases unless if there is a emi present, I was wondering if I was the only one in the forum that knows of this...

Yep, its the fix in most cases unless if there is a emi present, I was wondering if I was the only one in the forum that knows of this...
This is second house I've had to do this in. First one was built in 1985. It usually works when all else fails.

Im guessing that would work fine but if it was me I'd use 14 AWG wire....
I've used 18g speaker wire before to kill the hum in a pinch. Probably safer to use thicker wire in case of a fault. I'm using 12g solid Romex since I have a 530watt stereo amp in the rack, it's a permanent installation, and I had extra after running a new circuit in the house. Either way I'm not sure the breaker would trip if there were a fault since this ground bypasses the box ground. I'm no electrician so do this at your own risk. All I know is I've done this for 3 years here without a problem and 10 years at my last house. Only thing that worked.

I've used 18g speaker wire before to kill the hum in a pinch. Probably safer to use thicker wire in case of a fault. I'm using 12g solid Romex since I have a 530watt stereo amp in the rack, it's a permanent installation, and I had extra after running a new circuit in the house. Either way I'm not sure the breaker would trip if there were a fault since this ground bypasses the box ground. I'm no electrician so do this at your own risk. All I know is I've done this for 3 years here without a problem and 10 years at my last house. Only thing that worked.
Makes sense to me, i suppose you can go 8g solid core if you wat to be like a overkill, ha ha, though, copper is expensive and if your just running a fm3 and a small amp then I'm guessing speaker wire probably would work fine, I've don it 3 times over the years all at homes I've rented...

Makes sense to me, i suppose you can go 8g solid core if you wat to be like a overkill, ha ha, though, copper is expensive and if your just running a fm3 and a small amp then I'm guessing speaker wire probably would work fine, I've don it 3 times over the years all at homes I've rented...
😅🤣😅 8g to a chassis screw...funny.
Seriously tho this shit has been the only thing that's worked for me over the years. That hum will drive you CRAZY.
🤘😜

Even if I back the gain down to the point to where it’s not a usable patch for what I’m doing anymore, it still prevails. If it’s just a clean tone with a drive barely being pushed then not so much. The point is I’ve never had this much of an issue. And the patches I’m using don’t have some crazy gain structure or anything.
What are your exact settings on the Input block?
Just today I experienced noise when I increased the ratio of the gate (type: Intelligent), most noticable when playing low notes and thus also on palm mute decays.
Maybe try different Input settings and also the "Classic" input gate type?

Also I am not sure if anybody mentioned this: Are you going direct from your guitar to the FM3 or is there something else in front that could be bypassed? Is the problem the same when using Input 2?
I’ve tried all the gates, classic, intelligent. I’ve sidechained the gate block to input 1. None of that works. Input 2 does the same exact thing. Just going from my guitar to the FM3

I had a FM3 before that did the same thing and I sold it. I bought another one thinking it was my unit and it still prevails.
Then odds are really good the problem is not in the units themselves.

You have not posted the presets in question or the system settings. Please do. Export the presets and back up the system and fc settings then zip them together and attach them.

Those allow us to duplicate your system on ours.

Back
Top Bottom