Help - Metallic Ringing in Ibanez JS2400

My old Ibanez V (from the early 80s) - same thing!! It's not as pronounced, but the exact same harmonic is very excitable on that guitar also....So now what? Either I'm really unlucky (quite possible), or something in the design of their guitars (neck joint? trem?) can cause this to happen.
Ibanez necks tend to be thinner than the necks on Fender and Gibson products. This makes them, on average, more succeptible to weather changes.

There are two times of the year in the northland when guitars start demanding setup changes: fall and spring. And guess what—it's fall! Check your action and nut height. If both are within spec, dial in just a touch more relief with your truss rod. I'll bet the problem goes away.

I've experienced something similar, in that case it was the tremolo bar that somehow had something to do with it cause when I put a little thread tape ( you know the white thin stuff that plumbers use on threads) on it before inserting it, the sound stopped.

See if it stops if you remove the tremolo bar ?

Ibanez necks tend to be thinner than the necks on Fender and Gibson products. This makes them, on average, more succeptible to weather changes.

There are two times of the year in the northland when guitars start demanding setup changes: fall and spring. And guess what—it's fall! Check your action and nut height. If both are within spec, dial in just a touch more relief with your truss rod. I'll bet the problem goes away.

I'm pretty religious in keeping my action and neck relief adjusted; and you're right, spring and fall are the times when the wood is taking on moisture or drying out. Oddly though, I never had a problem with the old Ibanez even though the neck is really thin. But I was pretty much a kid though, so maybe I just didn't notice (it's in rough shape and I don't really play it anymore). My guitar tech said he checked the nut and tweaked it to make sure. One thing I did notice through experimentation - it gets worse when you raise the whole trem assembly (raising the action). My theory is that the main pivot bolts are then out of the body a bit more and are thus more prone to a high frequency vibration. Which, now that I think about it, makes me wonder if I should try blocking the trem solid. Hmmm. I'll talk to the tech about that.

Is this an acoustic sounding issue or does it do this through the amp?

Both. You can hear it ring out longer with some gain on an amp, but you can clearly hear it acoustically also. I should have another guitar player try it. Maybe it is just my technique.

Not sure if mentioned, make sure trem is parallel to body and trem studs are locked

Know it's been mentioned on springs potentially being a culprit and try wrapping them to see if goes away. My main parker had an odd twinge on low E when hit hard, could hear acoustically, on amp was just awful. Ended up discovering the spring was just centered properly (it's just a single spring) and the one edge just barely was touching the cavity wall. Good luck

One thing I did notice through experimentation - it gets worse when you raise the whole trem assembly (raising the action).
That's starting to sound like something loose at or near the bridge. Maybe one of your posts isn't fitting tightly into its anchor. Or maybe the anchor itself is loose. You could try wiggling the bridge to see if there's anything that feels loose.

...wonder if I should try blocking the trem solid. Hmmm.
Play the string will pulling up or down a little on the trem bar. Is the problem still there?

That's starting to sound like something loose at or near the bridge. Maybe one of your posts isn't fitting tightly into its anchor. Or maybe the anchor itself is loose. You could try wiggling the bridge to see if there's anything that feels loose.

Play the string will pulling up or down a little on the trem bar. Is the problem still there?

I thought the same thing about the posts, if I'm understanding that term correctly, so I wrapped them with Teflon tape before screwing them back in. As far as the anchor itself being loose, I guess I'll have to take the bridge back off and try to wiggle them. Though I would think the force of the strings would have all of that area under a good bit of tension.

Honestly, I think it's just a resonant frequency, and I'm really just ready to live with it (a little Jack White tude). I'll probably look at some of the other things mentioned here as a hail-Mary, but I'm not expecting to find anything.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions!!

Theres should be locks (small allen screws )in the stud. adjust bridge height and tighten them,also just a tissue folded to cover springs and put cover back on.

I thought the same thing about the posts, if I'm understanding that term correctly, so I wrapped them with Teflon tape before screwing them back in. As far as the anchor itself being loose, I guess I'll have to take the bridge back off and try to wiggle them. Though I would think the force of the strings would have all of that area under a good bit of tension.

Honestly, I think it's just a resonant frequency, and I'm really just ready to live with it (a little Jack White tude). I'll probably look at some of the other things mentioned here as a hail-Mary, but I'm not expecting to find anything.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions!!
I think that thread tape was a good idea, even if it didn't solve the proble; at least you know one thing it's not. :)

From what you've described, it sounds like something is vibrating against something else. It would take just a minute to try the bridge-wiggle test and the playing-while-pulling up test, and another minute to rap your knuckles on the guitar and see if that excites the vibration. Might be worth your time. Tracking down vibrations and buzzes can be a bear, but once you find them, it's usually a "duh" moment. :)

Any chance you could post a clip for us to listen to?

Back
Top Bottom