Help me make my strat bigger

+1 on increasing Input Trim as the easiest way to simulate a hotter input to the amp. PEQ with high output level before amp block gives a little more control of frequencies as part of the boost. I don't have specific experience with EMGs to comment on how much compression would make a difference... guess it also depends on how picky you are.

I'm from the mindset that swapping pickups are highly overrated. However, comparing a SC to HB? Even I can say that that's not a fair comparison. If you want that HB sound in your Custom Shop, then you're going to have to route it for a HB or go with a SC sized HB (personally, I've never gotten along with those SC sized ones. I'd go full HB).

Dunno if i'm understanding well...
you are comparing passive SC (custom shop) with active EMG?
Man... use the hammer for the nails and the screwdriver for the screws!
Thare are things that needs the Strato sound and things that needs other guitars&puppyes!

This. EMG vs SC?

I'm back to using the usual things. Dual delay trick, input boost, a drive on 0, EQ on a CC, if you're trying to get there. But I'd leave the Strat pristine, and use the very many tools you have to make it sing.

Get a Frankenstrat and mod the crap out of it, but let the custom shop be what it is.

I'm another pickup-changer. I've changed the pups on most of my guitars. But on my Strats, I simply swap out the entire pickguard and keep the factory pups intact. Remove 11 screws and solder 3 wires and bam! It's done. But I'm also a believer in using SC pups for SC sounds, and humbuckers for humbucker sounds.

I have a Start with the Fralin Vintage Hot set in there, and I was trying to get the thing to hang a little more effectively in a mix, and I eventually landed on the Carol Ann Tucana model, but I ended up turning up the master volume a bit more than I usually would on a MV amp- from memory, I thing it ended up at about 6.5-7 ish. I also dialed in a little more mids than I usually do, and it ended up sounding really full and beefy. YMMV!

Maybe give this guy a call?......;)
View attachment 39808
Nice, but this pic of it caught my attention.
Big. Strat.
$T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc2+1BQ!C4cpPcw~~60_57.JPG

I sold one of my strats because I just couldn't get the sound I wanted - it was always just to thin.
It played and looked great, just didn't ever get plugged in.

The only strat I have left has the fender S1 switching, which does something to give a fatter tone that I really like.
(My '09 dlx strat came with this from factory)

Back
Top Bottom