Help getting DARK SUN delay + reverb tone

Hey guys, I've been trying to emulate the delays from this pedal, but I'm not having much luck.
This is probably basic stuff, but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I'm not sure how to go about getting that darker tone on the delays

just use the eq section in the delay block to take off some high end?

i put a question mark at the end of that, because i'm not sure if you're really asking something so simple, or if i've missed something....

btw, check out all the different delay types. some of them might already have the tone you're after.

There's lots of hints in the video description on how to achieve the sound:

Dark Sun combines a warm and clean digital delay algorithm with a lush Hall reverb, and the ability to route the two in just about any configuration you could want. And, you can shape the EQ of the effect, add saturation, or lush choral modulation, or use Dynamic Expression to control the mix of the effect with your playing.
Then:

A complement of filters, gain, and modulation round out the feature set. Applied only to the wet signal, they can totally re-shape the character of the effect. Use the Low Pass Filter to soften and warm up the sound, or the High Pass Filter to cut big low-end repeats, allowing you to use high mix settings without overpowering your playing. Saturation adds gain for pleasant lo-fi effects, tape-like saturation, or shoegaze-style distorted repeats. And, the modulation section can be assigned to the delay, the reverb, or both.​

All of that can be done pretty easily on the Axe-FX using just the delay and reverb blocks in a parallel effects chain.

For the dynamic expression portion you can tie the envelope follower to the level control of the last effect in the chain, or put a volume block at the end of the chain.

yeah, there's nothing about that pedal that's particularly original or groundbreaking. everything it can do the axe can do (and more)
What I found odd is that I believe Holcomb already uses the Axe Fx...so why collaborate on a pedal that does something the Axe does so well.

What I found odd is that I believe Holcomb already uses the Axe Fx...so why collaborate on a pedal that does something the Axe does so well.
my guess is that seymour duncan has $ for endorsers, just like Petrucci and TC. it’s hard to get by with just album sales and tours these days, so people are youtubing and endorsing left and right.

just use the eq section in the delay block to take off some high end?

i put a question mark at the end of that, because i'm not sure if you're really asking something so simple, or if i've missed something....

Yeah I figured it was something this simple. I definitely got it darker sounding now, thank you.

There's lots of hints in the video description on how to achieve the sound:...

This was very helpful, I feel like a dumbass for missing this lol. Thank you
I think I got something closer sounding to the pedal now, but I still feel like I'm still missing something and I'm not sure what. I'll keep tweakin'.

It's not so much about what the Axe FX can do or not, I think. Some like to use pedals to experiment with, some like to do it on a All in one unit like the Fractal. And someone like both types, and also likes the pedals for recording and writing sessions. Other than that I'm sur it's fun to get to collaborate with big guitar and pedal brands, and it also helps on the income

Yeah, some people like to just use the Axe-FX to replicate their sounds for live, but still have a collection of other gear to mess with in the studio. There's also something to be said for having a hands on control for each of your effects parameters as opposed to programming in an editor or through a menu system on a rackmount unit.

Because it sells to the same people that will buy a PRS Holcomb SE, who are probably not going to spend Axe Fx money, but want to sound like Mark. Mark doesn't play his signature SE either.

Back
Top Bottom