Help funky clean tone

Albion

Inspired
hi all,
I usually play classic rock and I have a pretty good tone but now I need some funky clean patches and I don't know where to start..
Fender amps?
Any suggestion for amp and effects?

Try a Bassman or even try one of the preamps in the cab block without an amp. A spanky compressor is useful - try the Studio Comp with a 10:1 ratio.

But probably a critical piece for funky clean is a Strat in the neck position. :)

Here's a good starting point. This was made with single coils in mind, mostly on the neck pup and the quacky positions 2 and 4. It's not crystal clean but to my ears sounds like the stuff of Motown and Memphis. XL required.

Scene 1 - Funky Clean
Scene 2 - Add Sparkle
Scene 3 - Then Some Spice
Scene 4 - Crank The Plate

Edit: updated with Factory Cab 036, and I added a wah at the front of the chain (because duh!).

Attachments

• Jewel of the Nile.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Here's a good starting point. This was made with single coils in mind, mostly on the neck pup and the quacky positions 2 and 4. It's not crystal clean but to my ears sounds like the stuff of Motown and Memphis. XL required.

Scene 1 - Funky Clean
Scene 2 - Add Sparkle

Nice work!

counter intuitive…. but…
try a JCM800 with the TV mix cab.. set it almost clean so that when you play strong there's a hint of grit in the highs..
that little bit of dirt will excite the highs in a way that EQ alone cannot..
in the mix this will sound nice and clean, and will cut through really well

if you want something with a little more body and weight, try to the HiWatt Normal

when I recorded a funk album I used them both..
HiWatt Normal to the left, JCM800 to the right
between them you get the best of both..

I agree with Clarky, a little bit of grit adds that extra funkadeliciciousness. Single coil spank, fast hard compressor with a bit of high end to cut through the mix. Good luck!

Scene 1 - Funky Clean
Scene 2 - Add Sparkle

Tried this but it does not load into the Axe FX XL though it says that it is required? I just get something about cabs and then it loads blank - shame I was looking forward to hearing this.

Tried this but it does not load into the Axe FX XL though it says that it is required? I just get something about cabs and then it loads blank - shame I was looking forward to hearing this.

It's a preset+cab bundle. When I get home, I'll find a good factory cab for it and re-upload.

I'm searching for a long time for good high gain tones and for good funky tones. Funnily, I found them both in an unconventional choice like AC-20 DLX 12AX7 or FAS Brootalz. As I turn the pickup switch from bridge to neck and roll off the volume knob, there is the funk. It cleans up but it benefits at the same time from the remaining grit.

I second the JCM800 clean. I have no idea why such a rocker is so spanky when clean, but I'm not complaining.
a while back a a guitar show I was able to get my hands on a real JCM800..
so just for shitz and giggles I tried dialling in the funk tone thatI did with the Axe-II: JCM800 a year before [when recording the funk album]..

and surprise surprise... it was exactly the same..
have to say though..
I did get some strangle looks playing super funky with a metalic tangerine V through a JCM... lmao...

another lil' thought with respect to the JCM that I forgot to mention...
if you find it a little too thin but really like the mid's and highs..
don't add bass from the basic page in the amp black..
go to the EQ page in the amp block and push the low end from there
this way you will maintain the natural tonal colouration from the JCM tone-stack by simply boosting the low end to add body without changing the gain characteristics of the low end..
this is of course something you can't easily do with the real amp live..
so in this respect, the Axe-II is certainly provides a "cake an eat it" solution..

Back
Top Bottom