Help - Axe Fx II XL keeps disconnecting from computer/axe edit

Steveche

Hey guys. Every time I'm playing guitar, about 15 minutes in, my axe-edit stop recognizing my Axe Fx II XL and stops communicating. I have to unplug the USB from my computer's USB port and re-plug it.

Running Quantum 1.0 firmware with Axe Edit 3.3.1
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, 8gb ram, intel i5
15 foot USB 2.0 cable into front USB port of computer (USB 3.0 port)

What's wrong? Faulty cable or USB port, or should I reinstall Axe Fx II XL drivers? I haven't been home yet to try a different USB port yet, but I don't think it's faulty as I haven't experienced any trouble with it using other devices. The USB cable is fairly new, about 3 months old.

thats still pretty long. do you have any shorter one now just to test? you will have to move things.

you may need a powered hub as an extension, though i'm not certain it will solve the issue. def try a short cable first. like 3-5 feet.

480mbps USB max cable length is specced at 5 meters i believe. That's just over 16 feet, so a 15 foot cable is within length spec but all cables are not created equally. A different cable is worth a try, plus if it doesn't make a difference you have some bonus redundancy. :)

Its most likely a power issue with the USB port. USB 3.0 is especially picky about voltage, and is known to be under powered coming off a large number of computers.

Quick fix, get yourself a Powered USB hub, You can try putting it at your computer or you could put it at the half way point of your cable run.

I need at least 10 feet though to get from Axe to my computer. 10 feet might work so I'll pick one up tomorrow. Is that long for a USB 2.0 cable?
The USB 2 spec limits cable length to 5 meters, which is about 16-1/2 feet. If your cable is shorter than that, you're within spec.

I remember previous threads where a very long USB cable had problems, even within spec.

Had the same problem with a 12 foot cable.
The USB cable worked with everthing but my axe.
Got a new 9 ft...problem solved :)

Not sure where you got your USB cable from but I've learned to avoid the ones that ship with printers and other peripherals, many seem to be garbage for lack of a better term.

A few of my friends and I all had similar issues to various degrees with some cables/brands, flipped to the 16' version of these from Belkin and problem solved. I think we have about a dozen of them now. Reliable, affordable, and as a bonus they also coil nicely:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBAB16Bel

Good luck!

Its most likely a power issue with the USB port. USB 3.0 is especially picky about voltage, and is known to be under powered coming off a large number of computers.

Quick fix, get yourself a Powered USB hub, You can try putting it at your computer or you could put it at the half way point of your cable run.

So this problem shouldn't happen with the regular USB 2.0 ports in the back?

Not sure where you got your USB cable from but I've learned to avoid the ones that ship with printers and other peripherals, many seem to be garbage for lack of a better term.

A few of my friends and I all had similar issues to various degrees with some cables/brands, flipped to the 16' version of these from Belkin and problem solved. I think we have about a dozen of them now. Reliable, affordable, and as a bonus they also coil nicely:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/USBAB16Bel

Good luck!

The USB is from Canada Computers, in a package on its own. It's so odd that the 10 foot one is more expensive than the 16.

Last edited:
Just bought the same USB 2.0 cable, but 10 feet long. Plugged it in one of the back USB 2.0 ports in my computer tower, been playing guitar for about 15 min now with no disconnecting.

If you use your Axe-FX for recording it's worth buying a quality USB cable as any timing errors can potentially mess with the audio stream. The shorter the run the cheaper the cable you can get away with.

If you use your Axe-FX for recording it's worth buying a quality USB cable as any timing errors can potentially mess with the audio stream. The shorter the run the cheaper the cable you can get away with.

I don't think it's very cheap tbh, cost me $10. Unless you're implying getting a brand name cable like the Belkin one linked above.

In very many cases I've experienced issues with V2 USB devices connected to V3 USB ports and in many cases the V2 USB devices weren't even recognized on the V3 USB port.
Someone mentioned above to use a powerd USB Hub, a powerd USB-Hub makes no sens since the Axe isn't powerd by a USB port. Get a decent USB cable no longer than needed, eventually a cabel with a repeater and use a 2.0 USB Port.

So this problem shouldn't happen with the regular USB 2.0 ports in the back?

The USB is from Canada Computers, in a package on its own. It's so odd that the 10 foot one is more expensive than the 16.

If you have one under powered port, it likely that they will all suffer on a system. For some people swapping too a 2.0 port helps some. But there is a habit of motherboard designers to not condition or smooth the power enough for usb ports right now.

It partly comes from people plugging so many devices in that want to draw large amounts of power off a usb port. Not to mention devices being designed heavily outside the power specs.

In very many cases I've experienced issues with V2 USB devices connected to V3 USB ports and in many cases the V2 USB devices weren't even recognized on the V3 USB port.
Someone mentioned above to use a powerd USB Hub, a powerd USB-Hub makes no sens since the Axe isn't powerd by a USB port. Get a decent USB cable no longer than needed, eventually a cabel with a repeater and use a 2.0 USB Port.

Its not the fact that the power lines get lowered in this case, its that the entire signal voltage gets pulled too low. So instead of something registering as a one, it only registers as a 0. If everything sent back and forth is suffering from this, its mimics the effect of a cable not being there at all.

Back
Top Bottom