Helix 3.5 New Cab Engine is Awesome! Fractal needs to catch up!

^^^^

imo it would be of benefit to everyone if there was a common standard. It’s the primary reason MIDI is influential. A consortium led by Fractal+Line6+Kemper with open participation to IR vendors would go a long way to accomplishing that. A tide that lifts all boats.

This has been discussed on the forum in the past, but the 3rd party IR marketplace is at a crossroads. Either somebody steps up and produces a widely adopted standard for metadata and bundling into mic position bundles or the 3rd party marketplace will wither. As has been discussed before, there is some uncertainty whether modeler makers would benefit from adopting such a standard. IMHO it's like supporting a standard like midi...your modeler becomes more valuable when you support such a standard.

Even in the absence of a standard, this doesn't mean 3rd party IR's will completely disappear, but it does mean using them means losing the nice features like browsing and mic position GUI.

That'd be cool, but there are so many IRs out there already, commercial and not, it'd be a shame to leave those behind.
Now could be a good time to standardize IR packs, eg simply by naming convention and organization conventions. Then a common UX on top is possible.

This is one big can of worms.

Yes, picking IRs from a shorter list and choosing adjustments consistently using mic type and position would be more intuitive, but everyone would have to do the same captures with the same methods. I'd think this would be rather discouraging to third party IR vendors.

L6 solved a longstanding problem with their cabs, and did it well. I'm not convinced that makes it the bandwagon to jump on for everyone.

This is one big can of worms.

Yes, picking IRs from a shorter list and choosing adjustments consistently using mic type and position would be more intuitive, but everyone would have to do the same captures with the same methods. I'd think this would be rather discouraging to third party IR vendors.

L6 solved a longstanding problem with their cabs, and did it well. I'm not convinced that makes it the bandwagon to jump on for everyone.
As I mentioned it earlier, it’s not an either-or issue, Fractal would still allow importing a list of ”unstructured“ IRs like it does right now, i am sure there will always be folks who like to blend their own IR etc…

But that’s not ideal/appropriate for a general purpose IR UX for majority of people.

FWIW we've been working on something like this for the past six months or so. We have several robots that we use for automated IR capture, custom control software, etc., etc.

I didn't want to spill the beans this early but...

Your patience will be rewarded.

Sounds cool. I know I’ll need a tutorial from the likes of Leon for something like this.

One of the reasons I got into modeling is I am terrible at micing a real cab myself.

That'd be cool, but there are so many IRs out there already, commercial and not, it'd be a shame to leave those behind.
There seem to be multiple threads going on, as usual, so, after a couple of cups of tea, I'm probably gonna make it worse. As usual. :)

The way I see it…

The existing IR/.wav format and definition don't seem flexible enough. To add metadata would either mean extending the file with the metadata trailing the .wav content, or doing away with the .wav format entirely and going with something more modern, similar to what other audio formats have done. Extending the .wav file would probably break apps that don't read the files correctly, but, well, that'd be their own fault. Metadata appended to the file could be parsed easily enough if there's a specification for the contents… but in the long run, I don't think that's flexible enough, because we, well, I, want more.

The whole discussion about an alternate GUI and added flexibility in defining the sound of the IR by changing mics and their placement, really requires multiple IRs shot with multiple mics in different positions to be accurate. Not having that discrete information means waving a wand behind a curtain and I'm not convinced that'd be all that accurate because not enough information is currently collected in IRs now; Trying to interpolate between two mic positions seems like a potential major fail because speakers, cabinets, microphones, and room acoustics encompass a huge number of interactions. All those would need to be bundled together into a single file, with the attending metadata defining each mic and its position or incremental change in position and angle, the speaker(s) in the cabinet, and maybe the room size and surface, and possibly architectural information such as ceiling height, support columns if we want to play with things like churches, and the materials involved. I'm sure there are other attributes we'd want, but I'd start there. A GUI or editor could use that information, based on the mic positions recorded, to provide options.

Seems to me that video motion control rigs would let us pre-program the motions of mics. With the appropriate software, we could let the software step them through various positions, capturing the IR and storing the mic positions then moving to the next.

Whether it's worth investing the time to create all that is the question. I don't care much about a "new and improved" GUI because being able to search and sort consistently across my thousands of IRs is more immediately important, and that alone is a herculean task.

Keeping them attached to presets reliably has been discussed previously, and needs to be nailed down first.

And after my spelling and editing checks I see…

FWIW we've been working on something like this for the past six months or so. We have several robots that we use for automated IR capture, custom control software, etc., etc.

I didn't want to spill the beans this early but...

Your patience will be rewarded.
DANGIT Cliff! You stole my caffeine-fueled imagineering. :)

I want to be the first to welcome our computer-controlled IR-capturing overlord!

I go along along with what Ross said. So, if your actually playing and creating music, be it live or in a studio-how many IRS do you need that it must be super simple to audition, oh, 2,000 for a song or project.
I remember the good old days when I had my tube amps-what fun it was changing the speaker in my 112 combo or 2X12 cabinet for a certain song- ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom