Heavy Duty Ethernet for the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101

I have samples of every Ethernet cable that Best-Tronics carries and they all work great with the Axe-Fx II and MFC-101.
I also just yesterday sent them specs for an even more rugged RJ45 end-plug. If I can get a sample and I'll update this thread.

Last edited:
In the meanwhile, of the best-tronic Ethernet cables I do have, their BT-0963-XXX (Cat 5 cable) is the best. Very flexible and with a nice jacket. Mention in the order that you're using it with an Axe-Fx II.

Does anyone know if the Line 6 rj45-cable also works and is it flexible enough?

Ok, I see that web site is no pushing stuff for Fractal Audio use. What are the real differences? Hopefully someone from Fractal or Admin M@ can throw us a bone because needless to say the products they were selling a week ago worked just fine with the ii and MFC ect so what is the deal with the stuff labeled "for use with FAS?

Ok, I see that web site is no pushing stuff for Fractal Audio use. What are the real differences? Hopefully someone from Fractal or Admin M@ can throw us a bone because needless to say the products they were selling a week ago worked just fine with the ii and MFC ect so what is the deal with the stuff labeled "for use with FAS?

Read this thread. Especially try the post from Admin M@ at the top of this page.

Ron

I have followed this thread and I have seen his posts. It does not exactly explain what the difference really are. The seem to have a whole FAS line.

Not really much difference (if any). They just have it categorized so you can find it easier.

The only exception being the Cat5 cable if they're using M@'s spec, and the Humbuster cables which are different from a normal TRS to TS cable.

Hey Guys,

I just got a 30 foot of one of these: Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: FAS04-XX
When I plug it in, it powers the MFC, and will change patches, but the names aren't showing up, and I get the "axe-fx name time out" error. A standard cat5 10 foot Ethernet cable works fine.

Any ideas? Faulty cable?

-eric

Hey Guys,

I just got a 30 foot of one of these: Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: FAS04-XX
When I plug it in, it powers the MFC, and will change patches, but the names aren't showing up, and I get the "axe-fx name time out" error. A standard cat5 10 foot Ethernet cable works fine.

Any ideas? Faulty cable?

-eric

eric,
I have the same issue and FA is having me ship my II in for repair. Marty said a few units have one faulty ethernet connection resulting in the connection being unbalanced rather than balanced, therefore greatly limiting the effective length of cable that can be used. Yours sounds like mine. Power on and "Axe-Fx name time out" I didn't look to see if patches would change. I went back to using a shorter cable which worked fine.

You might want to try a shorter ethernet cable and/or email FA.

Mike

I bought a 15 foot cable from best-tronics and I've been noticing the switching between presets to be slower then the cheap 20' cat 5 cable I was using before. I plan to do a more thorough test tonight to make sure.

An ethernet cable is an ethernet cable. Cat 6 is faster than cat 5 but I don't see how this could even surpass what a cat 5 cable can do. you can make an ethernet cable for next to nothing. I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

The problem I am having is the actual RJ45 connection.
If have tried this with 5 different cables and all react the same to the following:

Insert cable. The Axe will power-up the MFC, but will "usually" not communicate.
Push down a little on the male RJ45 so it angles the end up towards the Axe's contacts and everything now works fine.
Let go so the male RJ45 relaxes in the Axe's socket and communications is gone.

Opening up the axe II later today to see if there is an easy adjustment to be made.

No adjustments to be made. Axe II boxed up and ready to go back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom