Heat Management

bkc

Hello to all all in this wonderful Fractal Forum! A simple question, if you will. Is there a consensus on leaving one rackspace above and below the Axe-Fx lll to mitigate heat build up? I realize that the fan inside the unit is meant to do just that, but I still wonder about the wisdom of packing in a 2 rackspace tube compressor directly above the Fractal, and a 1 rackspace Furman power conditioner directly underneath said Fractal. I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on this, and very happy that this Forum exists at all! - Thanks in advance. Brian Cooper, Shinkai Studio, Japan.

I've never left rack space above or below, since I got the Axe-FX Standard, until now the III. I've never got any issue.
Same here. Using Fractal since 2007 and never had problems with heat. I've swapped the fans for quieter options, but but no overheating issues with the stock or aftermarket fans.

Hello to all all in this wonderful Fractal Forum! A simple question, if you will. Is there a consensus on leaving one rackspace above and below the Axe-Fx lll to mitigate heat build up? I realize that the fan inside the unit is meant to do just that, but I still wonder about the wisdom of packing in a 2 rackspace tube compressor directly above the Fractal, and a 1 rackspace Furman power conditioner directly underneath said Fractal. I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts on this, and very happy that this Forum exists at all! - Thanks in advance. Brian Cooper, Shinkai Studio, Japan.
I always put my racked tube gear at the top “compressor or power amp” as well as my power conditioner. I’ve never had an issue with heat for my fractals with no rack spaces. But if you have the space, can’t hurt to run blank between them.
😁

I always put my racked tube gear at the top “compressor or power amp” as well as my power conditioner. I’ve never had an issue with heat for my fractals with no rack spaces. But if you have the space, can’t hurt to run blank between them.
😁
Thanks very much, Bioloop, for your helpful reply.

I have an 8ch mic pre right above mine with no gap and there's never been ventilation issues with mine. If you have a spare U, go for it, but just another voice in the mix that I've never had issues in my rack with it, and I use mine heavily.

Reactions: bkc
Hi Brian! This is a really interesting question, especially considering the importance of good ventilation for electronic devices such as the Axe-Fx III. It is generally recommended to leave some space above and below the unit to ensure sufficient air circulation and reduce heat build-up. Placing racks directly above and below the Axe-Fx III may cause heat build-up, which may adversely affect its performance. I think it's wise to leave one space at the top and bottom to ensure better ventilation and avoid overheating. I hope this helps you make more informed choices!
Hello, Eleanor. Thank you ever so much for your interest in my heat management question. It seems you and I worry about this more than the other members who kindly gave their advice as well. So, we have a consensus of two. aHaha. I look at all the replies I've received as valid opinions, and I remain so grateful for the Forum's existence! I see that you're a new member. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Axe-Fx more and more as time goes on, and you get more experience using the unit. When I bought mine, I believe the Firmware version was 14.05, and now there's a new public beta version 25.00! Quite a rare example of a manufacturer's consistent support for their products. And, with every update the improvements are noticeable.....and free! It would be a wonderful world if governments worked as smoothly and supportively of their constituents! Thanking you again. Cheers! -Brian Cooper, ( a Canadian expat ) Shinkai Studio, Japan.

Last edited:
I have an 8ch mic pre right above mine with no gap and there's never been ventilation issues with mine. If you have a spare U, go for it, but just another voice in the mix that I've never had issues in my rack with it, and I use mine heavily.
Thanks very much, utkanos, for your helpful reply.

If you are afraid of ventilation there’s always the option of 1u rack fans.
Thanks very much, Joshua_L, for your reply. It reminds me of a photograph I once saw of Robert Fripp's 16 or 18 U rack. There must have been 10 or 12 cooling fans mounted on the back cover! The gear was mostly Fractal, Eventide and T.C. electronics.

Well, I think I've happily received enough comments on my original question to be able to close my post and consider it successful. Thanks again all who took the time to get back to me! Cheers! - Brian Cooper, ( a Canadian expat ) Shinkai Studio, Japan.

Back
Top Bottom