Headrush Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sienna I don't know, I do not enjoy bending over to program my FM9... ;)

I certainly don't find that appealing to me as a user of a floor unit and assume I'm not the only one. But maybe I'm wrong.
Well yes, while a good display is important, touch screens on a floor modeler make little sense for those of us with arms less than six feet long :)

When I read a description of an Amp modeler / effects processor, the first thing I want to see are details about those things... Not the screen.

If I read the brochure for a Porsche, I don't expect the first feature to be mentioned is the stereo :)

Maybe it's just me. I don't care about a fancy touchscreen...
Maybe because it was a high cost to add a touch screen, a gigantic 7 inch color high res touch screen, for the company. So they are listing it first as a feature. Just a guess but I dont make Amp modelers I am just an idiot who plays tube amps and strymon pedals and had to sell my Fm3 while waiting for the Fm9 that will never exist.

Maybe thats why they advertise the giant 7inch color high res touch screen, with its image sof the pedals you are using. Which most people want.
I prefer the axe way of generic block looks but thats just me. Tell it to the millions of people who will be buying the headrush thing.

Use your ears, not your fake 'brand loyalty.

I am loyal to a lot of brands too, in the high end film production business, it is nothing to be proud of. It is toxic.

I can buy this product above, TOMORROW. I cant buy any Fractal products except their rack mount thing, and if I say this I will be mocked by their founder. He is very happy having his army of cult like people, cool. I too think Fractal is probably the best, but I wouldnt know because its impossible to buy an FM9 from them.
I bought an FM9. It’s quite possible. Last I saw the wait list it was only 3 months deep.

That's a fact. I will only usually do very minor edits on the floor. Anything else I'm plugging the laptop in.
When I had a Helix, I put it on the floor when I was gigging, jamming, or rehearsing w other people, ie when I expected to be using it as a guitar player, not programming it. Really rarely, I'd reach down and edit on the floor. Not great, and a touch screen wouldn't have fixed that.

At home editing, I put it on top of a cheap plastic rolling drawers unit, perfect edit height.

When I had a Helix, I put it on the floor when I was gigging, jamming, or rehearsing w other people, ie when I expected to be using it as a guitar player, not programming it. Really rarely, I'd reach down and edit on the floor. Not great, and a touch screen wouldn't have fixed that.

At home editing, I put it on top of a cheap plastic rolling drawers unit, perfect edit height.
For rehearsal (which are rare) and definitely for gigs my presets aren't so far off that the performance tab won't pepper my sound to where I need it.

Bluetooth and an iOS app would be cool.

For rehearsal (which are rare) and definitely for gigs my presets aren't so far off that the performance tab won't pepper my sound to where I need it.

Bluetooth and an iOS app would be cool.
Maybe, but with the sheer number of parameters we've got, it'd also be a nightmare.

Yeah, I've lifted mine off the floor a few times, but because of my setup (looper, GR-55, and BeatBuddy) it's a real hassle with the cables so I don't do that anymore. It's just easier to grab the laptop.

Side note (and back on topic!!!)---this appears to be pretty massive. I'm a huge looper fan and had previously considered the HR Looperboard but was turned off by it's size. This appears to be in that same general vicinity, so I'd be a hard pass just on that alone.

I’ve only watched the Leon Todd Demo. If the recording setup was the same as what he always uses I found the sound to be lacking in some way. Didn’t have the same dynamics as when he is using Fractal gear. All the features like touch screen, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, vocal abilities are impressive, but that also sets off my “more things to fail” concerns. I guess $1200 isn’t a bad price. I would want an editor of some sort to tweak without having to be on the floor or pick that large baby up all the time. The on screen UI has some cool and quick setup features. However if the screen fails it is completely dead in the water. It is impressive on one hand, but would want to spend time with it in person.

He talks about it in this video and the comments... appears they are speculating.

Okay, cool. He was talking about software that Headrush apparently bought. If the floor modeler does that, it would be really cool.

But, being able to run VSTs/AUs on DSP chips isn't the simplest thing. Running them inside another plugin is comparatively simple.

But, being able to run VSTs/AUs on DSP chips isn't the simplest thing. Running them inside another plugin is comparatively simple.
By my understanding, that's a huge understatement. The whole VST infrastructure doesn't exist there, unless you build it yourself, before you can even think about your own code.

Couldn't care less about the "cloning" and the touchscreen, but that Practice Feature... I wish we could have something similar in Fractal world. Also, the vocal processing is neat!

Couldn't care less about the "cloning" and the touchscreen, but that Practice Feature... I wish we could have something similar in Fractal world. Also, the vocal processing is neat!

FAS devices are preamps and effect processors, and I really don't know why FAS should implement features like that in the hardware. Lots of software available that already provide those functions.

FAS devices are preamps and effect processors, and I really don't know why FAS should implement features like that in the hardware. Lots of software available that already provide those functions.
Understandable, but the same can be said about the built in Metronome, and there it is. Also, lots of software are available, but not in guitar centric hardware, I just find it a useful tool.

Headrush Prime first thoughts after about 1 hour in:
Keep in mind I did not purchase thinking the modeling would be on par with the AF3.
I purchased to maybe use it as a capture device and use in a scenario where I can't or will not use my AF3. So, here we go 1 hour in:

Overall appearance...very good. Nice and sturdy looking and feeling.

The screen and scribble strips....very nice and very clear. The touch screen is beautiful.

I haven't had to use a manual yet...seems fairly intuitive so far.

Amp Modeling and cab IRs.......Oh my....let's just say that I have been spoiled with the Fractal modeling. I did a quick comparison with the AF3 setting up on both units a 50 W JCM 800 with identical settings and using my favorite YA M25 IR. The headrush can sound close if you set the AF3 impedance curve to "resistive load" and still the AF3 has a little more girth and weight. The headrush just sounds thinner and weaker in comparison. Sort of like the amp they modelled was biased really cold and was using lower gain preamp tubes or even an SS power amp instead of a tube power amp. I also tried a tube screamer and Klon pedal in front on both. The Fractal is just far superior in every way. No questions here the Fractal is in another league.

I will try the amp cloning feature later and post here how that went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom