Headrush Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the smaller Headrush board before I had my Fractal. I'm afraid it does look like the engine is still the same with some new features. If you get one, don't expect Cliff speed updates. The UI was nice but the rest of the unit was limiting. I guess hearing will be believing.

Or why not just get a fm9 or fm3 to make your af3 sounds more portable ?
I thought about that but after profiling some of my AF3 sounds I figure this will come in more handy. Don't get me wrong, the AF3 IS the TONE machine.
Check out this vid, specifically the ending. That is insane! Yeah, can't do that with the AF3. Also the practice mode thing could come in handy.

touchscreen by your foot is weird to me, can easily accidentally stomp on it and kill some pixels during live performances (i hope they built it to withstand it)

I know there's a lock to prevent input to the touchscreen but still, touchscreen near your footwork?

sounds great though

Strictly looks wise, it looks like a less sleek GT-1000. Line someone tried to pimp a Ford Taurus or something by adding a bunch of stupid gold accents.

Never played head rush, though. Curious about their looper…

looks very promising for a first firmware release. The quick capturing is a nice add along with playback feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the game of trying everything that was up and coming for years because it was a bit less expensive than FAS, but never got the sound I was looking for. Since I finally jumped on board the FAS train several years ago, I don't need anything else.

FAS sounded light years better than the previous version of this.

Given that, the inclusion of a mic pre is huge and one thing the FAS stuff sorely lacks. Couple that with Antares and it’s indispensable. Hopefully FAS offers similar features in future hardware. Wonder if it does any harmonies too.

FAS sounded light years better than the previous version of this.

Given that, the inclusion of a mic pre is huge and one thing the FAS stuff sorely lacks. Couple that with Antares and it’s indispensable. Hopefully FAS offers similar features in future hardware. Wonder if it does any harmonies too.
I havent sang much in bands i played in. Can you tell me why the inclusion of the mic pre and antares is such a big win? Whats different about it than just bringing your own mic and vocal effects if needed?

I havent sang much in bands i played in. Can you tell me why the inclusion of the mic pre and antares is such a big win? Whats different about it than just bringing your own mic and vocal effects if needed?
Imo the difference is exactly that you don't have to bring your own vocal effects separately. Putting a Voicelive 3 or something next to a modeller takes a lot more floor space and can be unnecessary trouble to carry especially if you're not absolutely needing those vocal effects on stage. But with something like this, you anyway have that XLR input and those effects in the unit, so using them is then low threshold.

The Antares I don't see the point, but that's just because I don't use live pitch correction. If I did, I'd probably be happy about it :D

I would say that Headrush want this device to compete with everything at least at a hobbyist level. That's my take. The Helix has a mic input, this one has a mic input with Antares effects. It includes capturing (like many). A play along function (like Spark) It is includes a touch screen with bluetooth and wifi (like the QC). It's feature rich. As long as they keep their firmware updates frequent and add a desktop editor, it will find a market space somewhere.

I currently bring my own mic and vocal fx. If it were built into my FM9, it would be one less thing to set up (and buy). For those of you using a fractal product as an interface, you need to now bring your own mic pre. Something designed to record guitars should have a way to put a mic in front of a guitar. I own every current fractal modeler so obviously, this wasn’t a deal breaker for me. I’ll say this much, I wouldn’t use it as an interface though. The most basic interfaces have mic pres. You have great converters, solid hardware, flexible enough IO. Can’t connect a mic. My AxeFXIII serves well as a modeler. Personally I wish it didn’t even have interface capabilities and they allocated those resources back into the modeling duties.

Where does it say it does that? That would be cool, but it looks like that's not what it's doing...they just added some effects designed for vocals to its DSP...not the ability to load arbitrary VSTs.

He talks about it in this video and the comments... appears they are speculating.

The demos don't sound very good to my ear - kinda harsh, lacking in depth. Lot's of bells and whistles though (bin there done that :(). Pricing seems somewhat high. Why all the excitement about touch screen? - I don't fancy crawling around on the ground to tweak stuff in home use with no computer editor

Last edited:
What is the importance of it being listed as the first feature?
When I read a description of an Amp modeler / effects processor, the first thing I want to see are details about those things... Not the screen.

If I read the brochure for a Porsche, I don't expect the first feature to be mentioned is the stereo :)

Maybe it's just me. I don't care about a fancy touchscreen...

Get used to it :). With so many good sounding modelers available now, attention will, and should, turn to other features, like the user interface.
I don't know, I do not enjoy bending over to program my FM9... ;)

I certainly don't find that appealing to me as a user of a floor unit and assume I'm not the only one. But maybe I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom