Headphones output left and right reversed?

hammeron56

Inspired
Hi,

I noticed this when playing audio from my DAW through Axe-FX II.

When I play the only the right channel, I hear it through my right monitor (using OUTPUT 1) and in my *left* headphone speaker (using PHONES). Before anyone asks the obvious question, yes, I have the headphones on correctly. :) Just to make sure that I wasn't crazy, I kept the headphones on and switched my DAW from Axe-Fx II to my sound interface and then the right channel is in the right headphone and the left channel is in the left headphone.

So, I quit out of my DAW to remove that from the equation. Then, I made a test preset with nothing but 1 AMP block. When I go to AMP block's EDIT.MIX.BAL parameter and turn the value knob fully clockwise, I hear the output in the left headphone speaker. Similarly, when I turn fully counter-clockwise, I hear the output in the right headphone speaker. This seems backwards to me.

Anyone else getting this? or maybe there's a setting for this somewhere?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

It's the same with mine - very disorientating :?

It would be great if we were able to switch this 8)

No kidding?!?!

That'll drive me crazy, especially when recoding to a DAW that is opposite!

My suggestion would be to make a short adapter to plug your headphones into...you'll need a TRS plug and a TRS jack and a short piece of wire...you'll just have to wire the jack backwards from the plug. Plug TIP to jack RING, plug RING to jack TIP, and plug SLEEVE to jack SLEEVE.

This will solve the issue.

A few possibilities:
1. There must be a number of Austrialian versions shipped to the US market. These have the 'headphone coriolis compensation' enabled.......

2. The headphone output is designed for stereo IEMs and they assume the performer is facing the audience (and the XLRs are made for FOH/Studio use, and IEMs are plugged into the headphone jack). That makes the audience Left be the same as Stage Right.

3. It is perhaps backwards (the only real non-joke suggestion ;).

mine seems to be correct. If I take the balance of a vol block completely left. everything comes out the left headphone speaker.

I take that back. My headphones were plugged into my audio interface, not the daw. They are reversed for me as well on the headphone jack.

Last edited:
The headphone out wasn't a big deal for me, so hadn't used it yet. I just checked and mine is reversed as well.

How about adding a system option that allows to switch the signals from L/R to R/L for the headphones output providing it's possible to do so through sogftware updates.

Was this intended as is or is it a bug?

I believe the headphone outs are hardwired to the outputs. If that is the case, if you changed it in software then ouput one would change as well.

Hmmm, if the HP out is really hard wired reversed perhaps it really is to make the FOH and IEM (via HP) be the same side to a performer (performer facing the audience).. perhaps..

I don't play out much, never at a house PA, do the L/R typically follow FOH, stage or mixing desk (audience) sense? Certainly for a studio use, the HP and XLR/SPDIF/USB L/R sense should match.

I guess we will find out what was intended. I hope this is a software setting (i.e. separate DACs or analog matrix switches for the HP outputs). On my HD500, the HP and XLR/SPDIF/USB are L/R sense identical (but I don't use the HP on the HD500).

I noticed this one night, but was convinced it was because I was up too late. Add me to the list of confirmations then. It's weird to pan left and have it go right.

The cable from the motherboard to the headphone jack is wired backwards. There are four options for anyone with this problem:

1. Swap the wires yourself.
2. We can send you a new cable with which you can replace the miswired cable.
3. Send it back and we'll swap the wires.
4. Ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom