Headphone correction EQ curves

This a bit out of topic but are there any Studio Monitor EQ Correction curves like this available somewhere?

FYI: I know the room affects the sound a lot and even if it's the same model no two would sound the exact the same (same with headphones) , but I think it's better if the initial speaker Frequency response was somehow generally corrected!

I love headphones also- but do yourself a huge favor and try not to turn them up any louder then you need to under the circumstances.
Every single instance of abusing your ears could potentially all catch up with you the day you turn 50.

On the other hand- there will probably be an effective treament for tinnitus and hearing loss by the time many of you reach that age-
So I wouldn’t worry too much about it if your young and being relatively sensible with the duration of your exposure to anything over
90 decibels.
But your best bet is to place a very high value on your hearing if making, playing and enjoying music is a huge part of your life that you would miss dearly and you are considering making a career out of it in various ways.

If your in your 40’s or older- you should probably think twice about pushing your luck with hours of non-stop exposure to excessive volume/noise.
If your ears are ringing after jamming- it means you have done some level of irreversible damage.
Just because the ringing eventually goes away does not mean that your ears have healed-
your brain has simply adapted to the change in input due to the damage you have done.

Our ears were not designed at all to be subjected to hours of over exposure to dangerous levels of man made noises.
And they do not heal.
Oddly enough- some species of birds are the only creature that can regrow the microscopic hairs located in the inner ear that are responsible for picking up the frequency of vibrations.

Duration of exposure seems to be the primary factor that causes significant damage-
as opposed to a supposedly less harmful quick burst like when you pull over for a fire engine and the driver inexplicably thanks you with a perfectly timed horn blast as he passes by you- even though there is nobody else in front of him.
Although the quick blast being less harmful theory goes out the widow if you abuse it.
For example, firing a gun without ear protection will catch up with you quick and have severe consequences.
Take a look at Britain’s guidelines for workers if your not sure about what’s recommended.

Last edited:
I love headphones also- but do yourself a huge favor and try not to turn them up any louder then you need to under the circumstances.
Every single instance of abusing your ears could potentially all catch up with you the day you turn 50.

On the other hand- there will probably be an effective treament for tinnitus and hearing loss by the time many of you reach that age-
So I wouldn’t worry too much about it if your young and being relatively sensible with the duration of your exposure to anything over
90 decibels.
But your best bet is to place a very high value on your hearing if making, playing and enjoying music is a huge part of your life that you would miss dearly and you are considering making a career out of it in various ways.

If your in your 40’s or older- you should probably think twice about pushing your luck with hours of non-stop exposure to excessive volume/noise.
If your ears are ringing after jamming- it means you have done some level of irreversible damage.
Our ears were not designed at all to be subjected to hours of over exposure to dangerous levels of man made noises.

Duration of exposure seems to be the primary factor that causes significant damage-
as opposed to a supposedly less harmful quick burst like when you pull over for a fire engine and the driver inexplicably thanks you with a perfectly timed horn blast as he passes by you- even though there is nobody else in front of him.
Although the quick blast being less harmful theory goes out the widow if you abuse it.
For example, firing a gun without ear protection will catch up with you quick and have severe consequences.
Take a look at Britain’s guidelines for workers if your not sure about what’s recommended.
Great advice. I'm 56 and my hearing sucks. Due to working with US fighter jets and tons of loud guitar playing and listening to loud music in car and home. In hind sight, I wish I had been smarter with ear protection. With the jets I always wore a double hearing protection (cranial and foamies). Still did damage. A jet launching off a carrier is 150 db and will rupture ear drums if no protection is used. Also, shooting the 50 cal off the stern at targets probably didn't help either. So freaking loud launching them off the carriers. But so freaking awesome and such a natural high.

Last edited:
I too am confused as to what readings to use as for my selected in ear monitors being the Shure 846 the EQ for the (fixed frequency values) are vastly different to the next values of the (Graphic EQ). Sometimes as much as 6dB. Go figure.

Great advice. I'm 56 and my hearing sucks. Due to working with US fighter jets and tons of loud guitar playing and listening to loud music in car and home. In hind sight, I wish I had been smarter with ear protection. With the jets I always wore a double hearing protection (cranial and foamies). Still did damage. A jet launching off a carrier is 150 db and will rupture ear drums if no protection is used. Also, shooting the 50 cal off the stern at targets probably didn't help either. So freaking loud launching them off the carriers. But so freaking awesome and such a natural high.

The number one disability for veterans is tinnitus and deafness.
It costs the government billions every year in cash payouts.
Whoever creates the first safe effective cure will make a serious fortune on just the government contract alone-
as well as instantly putting hearing-aid manufacturers and salespeople out of business for the most part.

But there is not even an effective cure for re-growing scalp hair
never mind the tiny delicate hairs deep inside of
our ears that are responsible
for transmitting sound to the brain.
:

Is this approach for eq headphones for every aspect or just better for mixing and recording rather than listening?

Is this approach for eq headphones for every aspect or just better for mixing and recording rather than listening?

A flat response is ideal for recording/mixing/tweaking, but for listening it is not essential at all.

Many people finds that headphones with flat response are lifeless and sterile, because they are used to enjoy music with colored headphones/speakers

My volume goes down materially when I insert an IR Play block and link in the wav files for my DT 1990's. I also don't notice a material change in the sound. Any other else encounter this?

Last edited:
My volume goes down materially when I insert an IR Play block and link in the wav files for my DT 1990's. I also don't notice a material change in the sound. Any other else encounter this?
Yes but only had to add about 8db to get back to same volume , might be different value for yours of course

Yes but only had to add about 8db to get back to same volume , might be different value for yours of course
Ok good to know - did you add the 8db to the IR Play block? My sound seems to distort when I do that. On the whole, I'm having a hard time getting a good tone through headphones. Sounds fine through studio monitors though.

Good evening. I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II’s that I’m restoring (very long 4-track sessions in the bedroom back in the 90’s). Have any of you continued to use these corrections when using your DAW? Just curious if it’s a drastic improvement in getting a good flat response from the cans.

Good evening. I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II’s that I’m restoring (very long 4-track sessions in the bedroom back in the 90’s). Have any of you continued to use these corrections when using your DAW? Just curious if it’s a drastic improvement in getting a good flat response from the cans.
The less flat your headphones the more these corrections can help.

I use Sonarworks Reference ID and its VST plugin for this but I cannot recommend the software due to how buggy it is. But you can try the trial version and see how it works for you, should have a profile for your headphones.

I'm still using this and getting satisfying results. I just picked up some Sennheiser HD 650's and set up a GEQ block with corrective EQ settings from AutoEQ and it sounds super close to the correction I use to mix(Sonarworks SoundID Reference + Goodhertz Canopener on the master bus).

I ignore the gain settings AutoEQ recommends I found it made things too quiet and the corrective EQ didn't put me in danger of clipping anything.

I'm still using this and getting satisfying results. I just picked up some Sennheiser HD 650's and set up a GEQ block with corrective EQ settings from AutoEQ and it sounds super close to the correction I use to mix(Sonarworks SoundID Reference + Goodhertz Canopener on the master bus).

I ignore the gain settings AutoEQ recommends I found it made things too quiet and the corrective EQ didn't put me in danger of clipping anything.

Any chance you could post a link to those AutoEQ settings for the HD650 (assuming it’s free info)?

Back
Top Bottom