Having problems with FW1.12

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
Here is what is going on. I am upgrading from FW1.10. I have the USB FW1.06.

I installed FW1.12 using fractalbot. When I power on the AXE3 I get the following screen.

fa1.jpg
I cannot get any sound with this preset

If I increment the preset using the right arrow button and then go back I now get the correct preset which looks like this
fa2.jpg
Now I get sound, but I cannot change scenes from my RJM Mastermind LT.

If I go back to FW 1.10 everything works correctly. It is only FW1.12 that has this problem.

Also, I am not able to decrement the preset from 000 to 511 using the left arrow button. I can only increment from 000.

I am not sure why no one else is seeing this. But it is clearly not working. I have tried updating multiple times.

Edit: I am able to change presets, but I cannot change scenes.

Edit: If I turn off Ignore Redundant PC then I am able to change scenes. Is this supposed to be disabled if you are switching between scenes? Doesn't sound correct.

Last edited:
you mentioned in the 1.12 thread that something looked different when you installed? can you comment on that?

Edit: If I turn off Ignore Redundant PC then I am able to change scenes. Is this supposed to be disabled if you are switching between scenes? Doesn't sound correct.
That setting prevents the Axe Fx from reloading the existing preset if it receives a PC to do so.

The feature was previously broken (at least in 1.10), so if what your controller is sending somehow relies on sending a PC the maybe that is the cause...

I would expect you are sending CC only, so it shouldn't matter.

Doesn't explain the other issues...

That setting prevents the Axe Fx from reloading the existing preset if it receives a PC to do so.

The feature was previously broken (at least in 1.10), so if what your controller is sending somehow relies on sending a PC the maybe that is the cause...

I would expect you are sending CC only, so it shouldn't matter.

Doesn't explain the other issues...
Here is my mapping
PC preset scene
PC0 0 1
PC1 0 2
PC2 0 3
PC3 0 4
PC4 0 5
PC5 0 6
PC6 1 1
PC7 1 2
etc

So each button sends a new PC command. Ignore redundant PC is only supposed to ignore the same PC, correct? For this case I would expect that the new PC is sent and the CC is either not sent or ignored.

Last edited:
you mentioned in the 1.12 thread that something looked different when you installed? can you comment on that?
The installation is a 2 part process
1) Software is loaded from the computer to the AXE3. This step takes about 7 minutes of so.
2) The firmware is then verified and written to the AXE3 flash memory. This is much shorter.

I noticed on one of the installs that I never saw step 2 happen. As soon as the firmware was loaded onto the AXE (step 1), it went straight to the screen where is says to restart the AXE3. This, I believe, was during a re-install of FW1.12 so maybe it detected it already had the FW1.12 and didn't re-write the flash (possibly????).
On subsequent installs I did notice that step 2 did occur.

Re-download the firmware (in case the download got borked?), and re-install it in your Axe-Fx III.

I did try that one. The first time I used the update feature on FractalBot, which I had not used before. I then downloaded the firmware and tried again. I then restarted the computer and re-downloaded the firmware. This was the latest try.

Interesting. The problem on startup where it goes to preset 0 but it is all blank, ONLY occurs if Ignore Redundant PC is on. This also occurs even if there is no MIDI device connected.

Ignore Redundant PC was on in my case. Tried switching it 'on' and 'off'.... no issues here?

Here is my mapping
PC preset scene
PC0 0 1
PC1 0 2
PC2 0 3
PC3 0 4
PC4 0 5
PC5 0 6
PC6 1 1
PC7 1 2
etc

So each button sends a new PC command. Ignore redundant PC is only supposed to ignore the same PC, correct? For this case I would expect that the new PC is sent and the CC is either not sent or ignored.
Ok, so you are using Preset Mapping on the Axe Fx III to do scene changes.

I thought the RJM had a native capability to do scene changes, which is a lot simpler and more flexible than preset mapping.

I couldn't find it in the Axe Fx III manual, but the II manual says:
The Axe-Fx II MIDI Program Change Map (See the Axe-Fx II Owner’s Manual, Section 9.3) has been updated so that SCENE as well as PRESET can be mapped for each incoming program change message. Ignore Redundant PC (under I/O: MIDI) must be ON for seamless scene changes via PC.

I just checked the LT manual and found this:

CCs and CC+FnSw Types
“CCs” and “CC+FnSw” button page types send a MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) message when each button is pressed. Each button toggles between on and off, and can send a different CC value for each state.
The “CC+FnSw” button page also allows you to turn the Mastermind LT’s function switches on and off. Holding the 5 button toggles Function Switch 1, Holding the 6 button toggles Function Switch 2
On these page types, you can edit the following parameters on each button:
Name – Allows you to set the button name
Device – Selects which device this button sends its CC message to CC Number – Selects which CC number to send
Off Value – Selects the value to send when the button is turned off On Value – Selects the value to send when the button is turned on
Each button page defaults to different CC numbers. Off Value is 0 and the On Value is 127 by default.

Which means you could do scene changes using native functions BUT you need a way to "group" scene IAs to be mutually exclusive, and I don't see that in the manual.

I do see that the LT also has an option to disable sending of redundant PCs.

Just curious, do you have your PC offset the same on both the Axe Fx III and the LT?

Edit:

Some Google searching seems to indicate that some of the RJM devices allowing IA "grouping". If you can do that, I would definitely take that approach for doing scene changes.

Perhaps @Rick or @yek can comment? Pretty sure both are using the GT22.

Last edited:
I just checked the LT manual and found this:

Which means you could do scene changes using native functions BUT you need a way to "group" scene IAs to be mutually exclusive, and I don't see that in the manual.

I do see that the LT also has an option to disable sending of redundant PCs.

Just curious, do you have your PC offset the same on both the Axe Fx III and the LT?

Edit:

Some Google searching seems to indicate that some of the RJM devices allowing IA "grouping". If you can do that, I would definitely take that approach for doing scene changes.

Perhaps @Rick or @yek can comment? Pretty sure both are using the GT22.
Thanks, I will take a look at this. I do have the problem on startup (preset 000 shows up with no names and no sound) even with nothing plugged into MIDI though. Funny that no-one else is able to reproduce it.

Thanks, I will take a look at this. I do have the problem on startup (preset 000 shows up with no names and no sound) even with nothing plugged into MIDI though. Funny that no-one else is able to reproduce it.
Yeah... That definitely seems wrong :(

What happens if you power off with a different preset selected?

Since you've tried so many different back and forth loads of both 1.12 and 1.10, what I'm going to suggest probably has absolutely no merit, but... At this point I might think of booting the AxeIII up in recovery mode, and letting it load in the firmware your machine came with, and when that's complete, power down. I'm just curious if there is a bit getting stuck in a memory buffer that just might get purged with this type of approach. Like I said, this idea may be bonkers. After powering back up, after performing the recovery, try loading 1.12 again with no Midi connected. Who knows? Hope you can get this resolved before long.

Lee

All these recommendations to reinstall the firmware are simply bad. Firmware does not get corrupted. There are multiple integrity checks.

Now with that said the reason the OP is having problems is because he's using PC mapping. Ignore Redundant PC does exactly what the name implies. If the current preset # is the same as the received PC nothing happens. It won't change scenes either. The logic is simple: if(patchnumber == current_patchnumber) return; The entire preset load is aborted.

I can change this but I'll have to think about the ramifications first.

The powerup thing sounds like a bug.

I can change this but I'll have to think about the ramifications first.

meh, ... Remapping is cool, if you have a MIDI controller with just PC# to remap PC# to certain Scene. That`s the "workaround" tool. If you have controllers like the MFC, RjM Masterminds and all the others, you can program CC#`s, scene changes and PC# changes should be programmed `clean` within the MIDI controller, instead of this "remapping workaround".

When I read your messages sent from the boathouse, I have to add a squeaking sound......... To simulate typing with water wings on !!!

I recommend to the OP, he uses a cc number for any continuous control and avoid this misuse of PC mapping. Particularly because his RJM does not need messages spoon fed as PC. If someone insists on using a midi controller that would require such tedious mapping, I‘d tell them to upgrade, as the solution to this.

In this case I recommend a change to his use of PC mapping .

;)

Back
Top Bottom