Have you found “your” amp in the FM3?

That guy has great videos. I also tried copying his tone from that vid. The 59 bassman in the fractal does nail that sound.

I cannot wait to try that out when I receive my Fm3! I've seen that video before and always admired the tone. What cab are you using with it?

So far I am loving the Marshalls. But still looking for the elusive Boogie sound. I am very familiar with Boogies. I had a Mark III for 16 years. Had 2 amazing 50 Cals. when they came out back in the day. Briefly had a Mark V, until it developed cold weld break issues. And as well had an amazing Mark V 25. Egads the Mrk V 25s sound great and so easy to dial in. But the Boogies so far in the FM 3 are not attracting me. Now it could be .... because all the FM 3 Boogies I have tried seem to be paired up with V30 speakers/cabs. And I absolutely hate V30s with Boogies. I always ran with EVM-12L 200 watters.... or Zakk Wyldes Black Label EVM-12Ls. .... in upright top slant back 2X12 cabs or a Theile.

I`m going to try and source a really decent EVM-12L loaded cab IR, and see how the Boogies in the FM 3 sound with that IR. Maybe a better IR will make me a Believer? Here`s to hoping.

There are several Amps I like and use.

Das Metal
Plexi 50
Engl Savage
FAS Amps
and some others....

But since I got the FM3 I only had one rehearsal and this with old firmware and not much time to dial in the sounds.
And uses my old guirar cab at this time.

So hopefully soon we go back to rehearsal and now using my "new" Cabs (fullrange) and Cygnus.
Then I got the chance to dial in the amps in band context and sure find "my" amp and settings.

I frequently find lots of tones that honestly sound great to my ears in the bedroom setting......it is getting them to sound good (and be heard in the mix) in the live band setting which I find so very challenging. My point: I often wonder if the tone which sounds "best" to us when we are dialing in our rig in our practice space might not actually be the best tone for live playing -- and vice-versa.

I guess I have not found "my" amp yet.......the search continues.
I’m still pretty new to the modeling and FR speakers and IRs. I am getting good sounds out of this thing but it is tough as you say to get it to cut through the mix at full band volume. I do my presets with headphones and then they need tweaking at volume. I’m trying to find how to eq a preset at headphone volume in such a way that it will be close to done at volume. Like possibly using an eq block that’s only used to compensate for the difference, and then bypassed or deleted afterwards. I’m hoping this will come with experience.

I am pretty new to the FM3 -- and to Fractal as a whole. So, even before Cygnus, I would have had a hard time sorting through the presetable possibilities. There is just a lot to sort through. And now, after Cygnus, it might be a year before I even begin to narrow it down. And again, even if I was limited to stock amps and stock matching cabs, it would still be a long process. But, with the new Cygnus modeling making a lot of amps more interesting, and with so many amp parameters and deep mods that allow completely recreating an amp, and with all the IR choices and impedance-curve shaping possibilities -- not to mention parametric signal shaping. I don't even expect to narrow it down. I suspect, I will be constantly discovering, or rediscovering, a new amp setup that sounds more organically complex, more musical and more playable every week. And, I don't even mind. I just wish I was younger and had more time.

I am pretty new to the FM3 -- and to Fractal as a whole. So, even before Cygnus, I would have had a hard time sorting through the presetable possibilities. There is just a lot to sort through. And now, after Cygnus, it might be a year before I even begin to narrow it down. And again, even if I was limited to stock amps and stock matching cabs, it would still be a long process. But, with the new Cygnus modeling making a lot of amps more interesting, and with so many amp parameters and deep mods that allow completely recreating an amp, and with all the IR choices and impedance-curve shaping possibilities -- not to mention parametric signal shaping. I don't even expect to narrow it down. I suspect, I will be constantly discovering, or rediscovering, a new amp setup that sounds more organically complex, more musical and more playable every week. And, I don't even mind. I just wish I was younger and had more time.
yes...true...younger, more time, and less backpain...and no need of reading-glases :grimacing:

Yes, because both my real amps (5150II and Archon) are in the unit. And at least since Cygnus they sound spot on like the real deal. So I made the decision to sell my real amps and buy the FM3 in addition to my AxeFX3.

Haha! Some other old guys having the same problems I have. Yes my back hurts and I can't see sh*t without readers. Oh well that's life. Enjoy the ride is all you can do.

As far as how deep the modeling goes, it is overwhelming. I stick mostly with the authentic controls and some other settings I see guys using on the net. Like Leon Todd for one. I'm having a lot of fun with this for sure but it gets frustrating at times. Going in circles on many occasions.

So far I am loving the Marshalls. But still looking for the elusive Boogie sound. I am very familiar with Boogies. I had a Mark III for 16 years. Had 2 amazing 50 Cals. when they came out back in the day. Briefly had a Mark V, until it developed cold weld break issues. And as well had an amazing Mark V 25. Egads the Mrk V 25s sound great and so easy to dial in. But the Boogies so far in the FM 3 are not attracting me. Now it could be .... because all the FM 3 Boogies I have tried seem to be paired up with V30 speakers/cabs. And I absolutely hate V30s with Boogies. I always ran with EVM-12L 200 watters.... or Zakk Wyldes Black Label EVM-12Ls. .... in upright top slant back 2X12 cabs or a Theile.

I`m going to try and source a really decent EVM-12L loaded cab IR, and see how the Boogies in the FM 3 sound with that IR. Maybe a better IR will make me a Believer? Here`s to hoping.

Wow. I feel similar. I have used and gigged Boogies in the past (and still have 5 Mesa amps),
and I have yet to bond with any of the Boogies, as much as I have bonded with the Marshalls.
Gonna also try different Cabs (I mean, "IRs") in the Cab Block and see what I come up with. So
thanks for that.

Who knows, maybe my ears just dig Marshalls right now. :)

One nice thing about a thread like this -- that is, once I put my reading glasses on -- is that the kids have a lot of great ideas about what to try next in terms of amps and IR's. ;)

My current favorite models:

59 Bassman
Texas Star Clean
CAE 3+ Clean
Wrecker Liverpool (recent discovery)

All of these are edge of breakup and since Cygnus (on Axe Fx III) with a boost pedal (primarily RCB or SDD) and others for more gain.

The DuoMaster and Carr Roamer are also nice.

And quite a few others... I spend a lot of time seeking and I'm often rewarded :)

Use York Audio IR's.

Woohoo.... I found a coupla EV12L loaded cabs in the FM 3. All is right in Boogie Town again. lol Now if I can just get The Mark V, and Mark III Coliseum amps into the FM 3. ;p

Not trying to bump and old thread, but I literally can’t stop playing the Fas Modern 1 with Leon’s LT TV MIX 7. I don’t know how these guys do it, but as a former Rectifier owner, it’s like they sprayed some magical Fractal dust on it and made it the best sounding Recto sound I’ve heard in a non Studio environment. Hell, it gives that a run for its money as well.

Don’t see why this tome couldn’t be used for all the power chord parts of any album.

10/10 BBC certified on my end

Back
Top Bottom