Have you found “your” amp in the FM3?

TubeStack

Inspired
I don't mean a model of an amp you actually own or have owned, necessarily, but one you love and use almost all the time.

For me, it's the SLO 100. I could just play that amp and be happy, it has everything I'm looking for. Also enjoy the 5F8 Tweed, Rockerverb 50, and Plexi 100W Jump, but the SLO was my first “that's it” moment with my FM3.

Have you had one? If so, with what amp?

Quick question please. Does it have the 1983 Fender Champ II? I had one back in the day and loved it. And not loving the fact I traded it away!

I've found my amp like 20 times. 🤓

Some of my amps have included:
  • Atomica
  • 5150 III Red
  • 5150 III 50 W
  • Archon
  • Recto Red Vintage & Modern
  • JCM 800 Mod
  • SLO 100
  • Bogner Ecstasy
  • Bogner Uberschall
  • Orange Rockerverb
  • 5150 block letter
  • Hot Cat
  • Marshall JVM410
Right now, I'm all about the Bogners since I learned about the high / treble trick.

I'm sure I'll have a new favorite amp ever tomorrow.

What's the trick?
I think it's in the amp guide. But basically the classic Bogners have a really long taper for the treble and presence. You don't really hear any difference in high end until they're dimed, then it all comes out and sounds glorious. People generally think they're dark sounding amps, but that's because most normal people wouldn't think turning the treble all the way up is a good idea ever.

One of many quotes on Bogner high end on the amp guide:
  1. "People think Bogners are dark but they really aren't. The reason they seem that way is the pot tapers. Most people assume knobs should be set somewhere around noon. If you do this on a Bogner it's like turning the treble way down on a Marshall. Close your eyes and adjust the tone controls with your ears. Don't be afraid to turn them way up or way down." [181]

I think it's in the amp guide. But basically the classic Bogners have a really long taper for the treble and presence. You don't really hear any difference in high end until they're dimed, then it all comes out and sounds glorious. People generally think they're dark sounding amps, but that's because most normal people wouldn't think turning the treble all the way up is a good idea ever

My Goldfinger is dark-ish, but the Shiva I had was almost unusable on the OD channel in that regard.
Some of the best EL-34 based cleans I have ever heard from a stock amp, though. :)

The OD channel made single note lead playing fat and warm, but for any kind of rhythm playing
in the lower register it's name was MUD.

Back
Top Bottom