Have you found “your” amp in the FM3?

I don't mean a model of an amp you actually own or have owned, necessarily, but one you love and use almost all the time.

For me, it's the SLO 100. I could just play that amp and be happy, it has everything I'm looking for. Also enjoy the 5F8 Tweed, Rockerverb 50, and Plexi 100W Jump, but the SLO was my first “that's it” moment with my FM3.

Have you had one? If so, with what amp?
I feel like the hardest thing for me has been to find the right IR. A good IR and most amps are killer. My main session preset has these amps now:

ODS Clean
Deluxe Reverb
AC-20
Friedman HBE
59 Bassman
JTM 45
Plexi 100W
FAS Skull Crusher (this thing is nasty!)

I found 'my' amp back when I had an AX8 : The Dirty Shirley

Still my go to amp
What Speaker IR do you like to use for the DS? Im loading a preset now with it and was wondering your preference for stock FM3 IR...

Plexi 2204
Brit 800

And occasionally Brit JTM45. That’s basically all I need. I tend to lower the master volume trim to 0.5 on all of these amps to get more headroom and tame the amps a bit. I prefer the sound with lower master volume (around 3), at least with humbucker guitars. I’ve set the amps on the edge of breakup and boost with TS808 (crank tone), Super OD (perfect match with starts!), Muff (try it with 70% mix, crank tone) and Shimmer Drive (perfect lead sound, fits like a glove) for more dirt and distortion. I tend to use plenty of room reverb (Studio A with little EQ tweaks), because it just sounds so good. Last night I stumbled upon the Shredmaster, did a proper mid scoop, changed the diodes to Red LED (for more Guv’nor type of sound) and wow... also so many great sounds when you clean it with your volume pot. Couldn’t be happier with the sound I get.

I keep jumping between different 80’s Marshall cabs, mostly 80’s G12M70 and G12T75. Right now I use a G12T75 ir with a ribbon mic. G10L35 (1965 cab, ML Sound has made a pack) is fun as well. Been playing with that as well since a band and their guitarist that I work with uses a JCM800 with those cabs.

EDIT: try changing power tubes to 6550 with 2204 and 800. Really makes a difference.

Last edited:
My favorite amp model changes over time and firmware changes. Some of them have been the 5153 Blue 100, Brit 800 Mod, Solo 100, and the JMP01Pre for my really driven sounds. I like the Dirty Shirley and Small Box for classic rock. I have always preferred the CAE+ Clean for clean sounds with a little hair.

What I find interesting with the amp models is that many of them have what it takes to become our favorites but some of them require a bit of knowledge/familiarity to adjust the nuances to get them there. It’s very rewarding when I find that tweak and an amp surprises me.
Thanks to all of you who share your insights and discoveries!

Diezel, Powerball, Carol Ann (cleans), Fremen Acoustic Sim (for acoustic). Depends on what I'm composing and what guitar I'm using, but those are the most common grabs. I like the Friedman BE-OD Deluxe pedal, and so... I'll have to play around with a Friedman.

Quite the opposite for me.

Over the course of five decades, I’ve owned three Peavey solid state amps, a Blues Jr., and a JCM 800, one at a time.

Now I have every amp at my fingertips, and I explore them.

Not just amps. I’m in a cover band, and I now have a completely different rig for each and every song.

When I’m practicing by myself, I’ll pick a random preset I’m not familiar with from Austin Buddy’s Live Gold and get to know it.

Back
Top Bottom