Have you found “your” amp in the FM3?

I feel like the hardest thing for me has been to find the right IR. A good IR and most amps are killer. My main session preset has these amps now:

ODS Clean
Deluxe Reverb
AC-20
Friedman HBE
59 Bassman
JTM 45
Plexi 100W
FAS Skull Crusher (this thing is nasty!)
What IRs are you using with those? Same one(s) for all those amps?

What IRs are you using with those? Same one(s) for all those amps?
ODS
Choice A Legacy #106, #167
Choice B Legacy #105
Choice C Factory 2 #913

Deluxe Reverb, 59 Bassman
Choice A Legacy #5
Choice B Legacy #142
Choice C Legacy #36
Choice D Legacy #184

AC-20
Choice A Factory 1 #227, #219
Choice B Legacy #83
Choice C Legacy #154

Friedman, JTM 45, Plexi 100W, Skullcrusher
Choice A ML Sound Lab ML Legends
Choice B York Audio Marsh 412
Choice C Legacy #50
Choice D Legacy #132

Of course I always combine different options, like the Skull Crusher with the Choice A from the AC-20. I purposely tried to find different sounds so that I could double track guitars and just change the IR' and get a wider stereo image on guitar stacks.

Very important details, phase is everything. I try to align phase as much as I can, and I will even try SMOOTHING and then Aligning to see if it's better. If the tone needs more body, I'll add Proximity, if the tone needs less body, I'll Low Cut.

I almost NEVER touch the amp's EQ. I set it kinda neutral sounding from day 1, and now I just EQ AFTER the cab block. Could be done with an EQ block, but I actually do it with preamp/EQ.

ODS
Choice A Legacy #106, #167
Choice B Legacy #105
Choice C Factory 2 #913

Deluxe Reverb, 59 Bassman
Choice A Legacy #5
Choice B Legacy #142
Choice C Legacy #36
Choice D Legacy #184

AC-20
Choice A Factory 1 #227, #219
Choice B Legacy #83
Choice C Legacy #154

Friedman, JTM 45, Plexi 100W, Skullcrusher
Choice A ML Sound Lab ML Legends
Choice B York Audio Marsh 412
Choice C Legacy #50
Choice D Legacy #132

Of course I always combine different options, like the Skull Crusher with the Choice A from the AC-20. I purposely tried to find different sounds so that I could double track guitars and just change the IR' and get a wider stereo image on guitar stacks.

Very important details, phase is everything. I try to align phase as much as I can, and I will even try SMOOTHING and then Aligning to see if it's better. If the tone needs more body, I'll add Proximity, if the tone needs less body, I'll Low Cut.

I almost NEVER touch the amp's EQ. I set it kinda neutral sounding from day 1, and now I just EQ AFTER the cab block. Could be done with an EQ block, but I actually do it with preamp/EQ.
Very interesting approach, thanks for sharing !

Great responses, thanks everyone. 🍻

Very cool to see what others are using and if you're someone who gravitates to a single/few amp choices.

Last edited:
Me too the slo.. Probably the best in the real life so also in the fm3..

I would love to try a SLO in real life! I've only played the Avenger, which was cool but I found it too high-gain, at the time. I think I would know how better to set it up, these days.

I’m in a cover band, and I now have a completely different rig for each and every song.

Do you have a sound person? If so, how do they respond to you using different rigs every song? If not, how do you keep things sounding even across all the different rigs?

The IR is more of the sound than the amp for me. With the right IR or two I can dial in a lot of amps to "my sound".
Couldn't agree more. It's a lesson I learned this past year, but wish I learned 5 years ago when I got my first FAS product.

I actually tend to leave amps at stock settings (except for extreme cases like a IIC+), find the right IR to get the sound I like (often a stereo blend of 5153 57 and 121) and make slight EQ adjustments from there.

This is interesting. I tend to take the opposite approach: I've found a few cabs I really like and just stick with those. I could see myself falling into a vortex/rabbit-hole of cab/IR selection and want to avoid that! Also, I like to learn how to work the amp settings (inlcuding deep ones) to get what I'm looking for and want to do that within the limited range of a few cabs.

One that i really like actually
is the Triple crown blue
that one you can jack up the gain
turn on the input boost and even use a drive block if you
need moar . it is a cool sound like
a bit Hot rodded Marshall but thicker w more chunk to it like a Bogner, its just very versatile for classic rock to Drop D modern stuff

This is interesting. I tend to take the opposite approach: I've found a few cabs I really like and just stick with those. I could see myself falling into a vortex/rabbit-hole of cab/IR selection and want to avoid that! Also, I like to learn how to work the amp settings (inlcuding deep ones) to get what I'm looking for and want to do that within the limited range of a few cabs.
It’s a wonderful rabbit hole that’s loaded with amenities. Hop in. :)

I got the AustinBuddy presets and keep going back to the regular JCM 800. I usually set it so the amp is screaming with guitar volume up all the way, and just use my guitar volume and tone to get clean sounds and everything in between. Almost never even engage any of the drive blocks, that’s how great it works for me!

I think that would depend on your tastes but I found the JCM 800 checks all of those boxes for me.
Thanks. I know I can use the 4 amp channels but I'm trying to keep the base sound of the amp as close to possible for clean, crunch and lead (as if to sound like one amp with different settings).

Back
Top Bottom