Have to change presets?

jawshua

I just got my fm9 this past weekend. Absolutely love it. Made a bunch of presets to use for my band. We play live this weekend and I wanted to use the presets.

I have been browsing the forum and realized that the cab irs need to be removed since I am using a power amp. Is this the case or am I understanding it wrong?

I’m planning to use a Seymour duncan 170 with a custom mojotone 8 ohm cab with 4 30 watt greenback Celestion speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, you shouldn't use cab sims if you are going to use real cabs. You should make the presets using the power amp and cab that you intend to use.

What were you listening through when you made the presets?

You can globally turn off the Cab sims without having to remove them in each preset.

Yes, you shouldn't use cab sims if you are going to use real cabs. You should make the presets using the power amp and cab that you intend to use.

What were you listening through when you made the presets?

You can globally turn off the Cab sims without having to remove them in each preset.
I was using my headphones through my audio interface as well as my presonus Studio monitors 🫣

I live in an apartment so I can’t be playing through the power amp and cabinet. I just assumed it would transfer over easily. Guess that’s what happens when I’m assuming things about my new gear.

I have been browsing the forum and realized that the cab irs need to be removed since I am using a power amp. Is this the case or am I understanding it wrong?
Disable Cab modeling if you're using real cabs... Nothing to do with power amp.

If you're using a tube power amp you would probably want to disable Power Amp modeling.

I was using my headphones through my audio interface as well as my presonus Studio monitors 🫣

I live in an apartment so I can’t be playing through the power amp and cabinet. I just assumed it would transfer over easily. Guess that’s what happens when I’m assuming things about my new gear.
A large part of the tone is affected by the cab, virtual or real. So the tones that you dialed will sound different with a different cab, virtual or real.

Any chance of you using the presets as is, and go direct to the PA system. And monitor yourself through the wedges via your monitor mix? That's what I do.

A large part of the tone is affected by the cab, virtual or real. So the tones that you dialed will sound different with a different cab, virtual or real.

Any chance of you using the presets as is, and go direct to the PA system. And monitor yourself through the wedges via your monitor mix? That's what I do.
I should be able to.

So would an FRFR speaker be the same concept or would I be safe because it’s not a cabinet?
I’ve read that some FRFR’s still color the sound a little.

Thanks for all the help guys, it’s easing some of the stress right now.

I should be able to.

So would an FRFR speaker be the same concept or would I be safe because it’s not a cabinet?

Every thing you listen with colors the sound: headphones, FRFR, monitors, PA, etc.

Dialing in at gig levels with relatively flat speakers is about the best you can do.

Every thing you listen with colors the sound: headphones, FRFR, monitors, PA, etc.

Dialing in at gig levels with relatively flat speakers is about the best you can do.
Any recommendations or any direction you can point me in for flat speakers? I thought frfr were supposed to be pretty flat?

I should be able to.

Going full on direct is a big step. There are things to iron out in rehearsals, not at sound check. It will be like if you had a mic'd cab in an isolation box, and you (and the rest of the band) are monitoring that mic'd sound through the wedges.

Your presets will sound different (boomier and brighter) at gig levels. You will need more mids in a loud live mix than when dialing things in alone and at lower volumes. Listen to some isolated guitar tracks on YouTube. Our guitar hero's sounds were not as huge as we thought, out of context.

You will now be in control of your entire signal chain, like it or not. You will need to low cut (75 to 125 Hz?) and high cut (6000 to 8000 Hz?) in the cab block. Depends on the IR(s) and the Amp model and it's settings.

Any recommendations or any direction you can point me in for flat speakers? I thought frfr were supposed to be pretty flat?
“FRFR” is a marketing term, it’s not a specification, but for our purposes it helps steer us toward good choices.

From the Wiki:
FRFR systems include:
  • Studio monitors
  • Active (powered) FRFR cabs and wedges
  • Passive FRFR cabs and wedges, powered by a separate neutral amplifier
  • High-quality headphones
  • High-quality P.A.
The choices available cover different uses and situations. With live use of a modeler people tend to use the second and third or last choices. I use the Electro Voice PXM-12MP monitors, which work extremely well.

The Wiki covers FRFR nicely, so read Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) for more information.

Back
Top Bottom