Have the Axe-Fx II... maskes sense buy also the Ultra?

csilva1950

Hello all!

I’m from Spain and I’m a new member, this is my first post!

I just bought the Axe-Fx II (Mark I) about 2 weeks ago and I’m loving every single day with this wonder! What a sound, what features, what everything!

Really, it’s night and day when I compare my Axe-Fx II with the previous unit I had, the POD HD500.

Anyway, I want to hear your opinion on something that’s pumping my mind…

With the price decrease on the Ultra’s, that now can be had between 400-500 Euros, I am wondering: having the Axe-Fx II, is it worth / makes any sense, getting also an Ultra?

I’m not touring and I don’t need a backup, so both units would stay at home for the rest of their life…

But getting back to my question:

I know that the Ultra is way older than the Axe-Fx II, the Axe-Fx II is an upgrade and probably does everything the Ultra does (and more!), but is there anything the Ultra has (sonically or in terms of some features) that the II doesn’t and would be worth buying (when I already have the Axe-Fx II)?

Just curious!

Thanks!

When it first came out, the Axe-Fx II was a significant improvement over the Ultra in tone and functionality. Through the years, firmware updates made it even better.

You have a II. If you buy an Ultra, you will play the II exclusively, and the Ultra will just be a pretty box to look at. You can decide whether the price is worth it.

Last edited:
Hi csilva,

Welcome!

In my mind that would be a waste of money. Perhaps getting an FM3 might be something to look at?

Thanks
Pauly

Hello all!

I’m from Spain and I’m a new member, this is my first post!

I just bought the Axe-Fx II (Mark I) about 2 weeks ago and I’m loving every single day with this wonder! What a sound, what features, what everything!

Really, it’s night and day when I compare my Axe-Fx II with the previous unit I had, the POD HD500.

Anyway, I want to hear your opinion on something that’s pumping my mind…

With the price decrease on the Ultra’s, that now can be had between 400-500 Euros, I am wondering: having the Axe-Fx II, is it worth / makes any sense, getting also an Ultra?

I’m not touring and I don’t need a backup, so both units would stay at home for the rest of their life…

But getting back to my question:

I know that the Ultra is way older than the Axe-Fx II, the Axe-Fx II is an upgrade and probably does everything the Ultra does (and more!), but is there anything the Ultra has (sonically or in terms of some features) that the II doesn’t and would be worth buying (when I already have the Axe-Fx II)?

Just curious!

Thanks!

Thanks all!

Yeah, that's waht I thought, it would be a waste of money. Better save a little more and buy an used FM3, for instance.

My question was related to something like "the Ultra has certain mojo", like on Eventide units.
The legendary H3000, besides having less processing power than the DSP4000 or the Eclipse, still is desired because of the AD/DA converters that give that unit a certain sound that the others can't, hence the "H3000 mojo" that everyone seems to rave about. :)

I guess that between an Ultra and Axe-Fx II this does not apply and the Ultra would be really just collecting dust ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom