has anyone used their axe fxII in Phuket Tailand

mattfavs

Ok so I'm off to Phuket this week for a gig and i was wondering if anyone has had experience with power etc over there? I know the axe fx has a switch mode power supply which will switch from 110-240volt. Tailand power is 220volts with no earth connection. does anyone out there foresee any problems? (other than matching connectors)

you might want to ask guitarholy here on the forums. The Great Vinai T plays in Thailand all the time w/ his Axe FX

^^^ I was going to say that Vinai, and a couple of other members I've met on here are from Thailand, and seem to be heavy users of the Axe-FX II...

No problems in Bangkok so far (and my Power Conditioner is still waiting on my shopping list), but I don't know about Phuket.

Anyway, here is a glimpse of what you can expect from the Power Lines:

http://www.phuket-fever.com/power-lines-in-thailand.htm

http://www.thephuketnews.com/the-buzz-about-town-how-safe-is-phukets-electricity-network-26758.php

Thailand-Powerlines%202.jpg

Thailand-Powerlines.jpg

Monkey_cables.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not in Phuket but I've lived in Thailand for most of the last 17 years - and I learned my electrical engineering in Australia, so I can offer some guidance.

Yes, the Axe FXII has an auto-sensing power supply - bought mine in the USA and have used it here (Bangkok, Samut Prakan) and in Singapore. Unfortunately electrical outlets do vary around Thailand so you may find a US style plug top, or a Japan (two round pins) style outlet - or a hybrid outlet that accepts either. Earth pins are also randomly available. Bring your USA power cord and at worst you'll need a little adapter.

Thai power is noisy as hell - line voltage fluctuates by the second, brownouts happen daily and blackouts are common. Voltage will range closer to 230vac which is will within limits of the AxeFXII. I run all my equipment on Furman power conditioners (PL-8C-E). Not the kind of thing you'll be able to easily get your hands on over here (bought mine in Singapore) and your USA versions will be useless here.
(PM me if you are coming in via Bangkok - I'm near the Suvarnabhumi airport)

You can find domestic filtered power strips (Belkin brand - i use these on the TV and stereo) which might be a better bet. They have limited power conditioning (ripple frequency filtering) but their surge protection could save you some heartache.
Another idea might be to contact folks ahead of time and see if anyone has a Uninteruptable Power Supply (computer shops will have them) that you can grab. Not very portable given the weight of these units, but that would give you the best protection in this environment.

Back
Top Bottom