Has anyone transitioned from [Fractal -> FRFR] to [Fractal -> power amp > guitar speaker cabinets]?

I think the important part is forget thinking a $10 class D POS power amp is going to cut it and that is what you get in FRFR unless you go big. FRFR is Hi Fi really and you need to treat it as such.

If you do go guitar cab remember just how much of an amp tone is the speaker cab and your going to have one that is wrong for 99% of the Axe models but for that one sound it is going to KILL all but the best FR FR. So the choice is one great cab with all the limitations that has or go FRFR spend big or have a huge selection of programable Peavy bandits.

I'm running a hybrid rig. Direct signal to FOH, separate output signal to Matrix + guitar cab on stage (signal splits before the Cab block).
Single preset. Works fine.
This is kinda what I've been experimenting with since I got my FM9. Output 3 before the cab block, out to a Power Station.

Oh yeah. I started off with a Friedman ASC-10, then got a Xitone, then a CLR, then a second CLR for a stereo pair. After a couple of years of that, I tried out a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 through one of my cabs and thought it was a significant improvement over FRFR. A few months later I got a Fryette LX-II and that was it. I dialed in all of my presets for the cab and stopped the endless cycle of tweaking. It's been about a year now and I'm still happy with it.
What cab do you use with the Fryette LX-II

For anyone interested I did this video - a comparison between the Red Sound MF10 and a poweramp + Celestion F12M-150 Triple Cone-solution in a semiopen cabinet.
I'm actually very impressed with the Celestion speaker; it sounds more full and is much more amp like whereas I find the MF10 to be a bit too boxy sounding. I'm more likely to go that route and to let the FM10 go.

Hi the difference is that the semi open back is adding frequencies from your placement - this is one main difference in all these comparison that can cause confusion between equipment and the location of the speakers.

What amp is used to power the Blackstar with Celestion F12M-150?

I hear the boxy sound from the MF10 - to open it up like the Celestion F12M-150 how would change the setting sin the FX3?

To me the Blackstar with Celestion F12M-15 has a dynamic amp tone and response - MF10 are good but how do you get that same "open" sound?

Last edited:
I'm currently using a Reeves front ported 1x12 (made by Port City). I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Zilla cabs, though.
Hi

What would be the difference between a F12M 200 in

1. Front port guitar cabinet
2. Blackstar HT 112 - Open back design

What is the difference between Birch wood cabinet verse a plywood cabinet also?

Is it worth that extra expense for the birch wood / what does it give you?

The current set up is FX3, Seymour Duncan PowerStage™ 700 amp.

Now the Celestion F12M 200 is 200 watts.

Currently I have Seymour Duncan PowerStage™ 700 amp.
P/S 700 will deliver 175w @ 16 ohm [non bridged - assuming of course the PS 700 can "handle" 16 ohm ... which I suspect would not be an issue] - what is the RMS value?

Will this be enough power for the Celestion F12M 200?
Fryette power amp has caught my attention recently since it is a tube power amp.

Anyone compare the Seymour Duncan PowerStage™ 700 amp with the LX II Stereo Power Amp?

Hi

What would be the difference between a F12M 200 in

1. Front port guitar cabinet
2. Blackstar HT 112 - Open back design

What is the difference between Birch wood cabinet verse a plywood cabinet also?

Is it worth that extra expense for the birch wood / what does it give you?

The current set up is FX3, Seymour Duncan PowerStage™ 700 amp.

Now the Celestion F12M 200 is 200 watts.

Currently I have Seymour Duncan PowerStage™ 700 amp.
P/S 700 will deliver 175w @ 16 ohm [non bridged - assuming of course the PS 700 can "handle" 16 ohm ... which I suspect would not be an issue] - what is the RMS value?

Will this be enough power for the Celestion F12M 200?
Fryette power amp has caught my attention recently since it is a tube power amp.

Anyone compare the Seymour Duncan PowerStage™ 700 amp with the LX II Stereo Power Amp?

Do you mean the Celestion F12-X200? If so, Celestion recommends a bass reflex cabinet. They have plans for one here: https://celestion.com/blog/build-this-f12-x200-1x12-cabinet-design/. In general, front ported guitar cabinets are designed with a specific speaker in mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Birch wood cabinet verse a plywood cabinet"? Birch cabinets are typically birch plywood.

I have an LXII and a PowerStage 170. I like the LXII much better. I haven't tried a 700.

For more or less a standard guitar amp setup I went with a Celestion F12-X200 into a Stagecraft Blackjack Studio 1x12 cab. It has the removable back option. After doing some playing decided that the open back was better suited for me. At first I was a little unsure I made a good decision but after the speaker was broken in it started to impress me. I currently power the setup with a Blackstar amped 1 (switchable 1/20/100 watts) which gives you a lot of versatility. However I use it in mostly with the settings in the linear/flat position. This speaker/cab combo has a lot of oomph to it but produces clear clean tones as well. The only downside to this combination is that the cab with speaker weighs in at almost 40lbs! Uses baltic birch in the construction and is very solidly built. This brings me to the point of, that modelers like Fractal really do not alleviate for the most part the issue of reducing the load of equipment that is needed for the average gig. Going stereo could even be worse. If just playing at home, no problem. Fractal modelers and others have gotten really good at producing amps and cab sims however it is the actual audio playback system used to reproduce those sounds that make the difference now. Unless you are just going FOH and earphones, the equipment need is really the same as with non modeler setups.

I have always run my fractal as a real live guitar amp. It's mated to an Alesis RA100 stereo power amp and drives a 2x12 wired stereo, with a
Celestion Greenback reissue in each side. This is almost always how I run the Fractal. I've NEVER run it without an amp and speakers attached.

I am of the opinion that Fractal should offer a 1 RU stereo power amp with scalable output power, as an option for those who want it. Power range from 0.1 to 100 watts per channel.

I have always run my fractal as a real live guitar amp. It's mated to an Alesis RA100 stereo power amp and drives a 2x12 wired stereo, with a
Celestion Greenback reissue in each side. This is almost always how I run the Fractal. I've NEVER run it without an amp and speakers attached.

I am of the opinion that Fractal should offer a 1 RU stereo power amp with scalable output power, as an option for those who want it. Power range from 0.1 to 100 watts per channel.
Yeah, having a Fractal scalable power amp of some kind would be great but probably not going to happen. To many other options out their to compete with. I have a number of 1RU 2 CH power amps that are really decent but not scalable and are very heavy.

Back
Top Bottom