Harsh Buzz (help)

When I play at home I have no issues, but I have a really bad buzz going on when I plug into the FOH setup (DL32 stagebox>midas m32) I've got it plugged into a furman power conditioner same as I do at home. The buzz is a lot worse when I'm on a single coil position. I've messed with the ground lift control and even tried running it through a DI box, and tried every different outlet we have at the venue, but nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

It's not the Axe-Fx, it's something in the environment being picked up by your guitar. Transformer, dimmer switch, compressor unit, etc.

There's a couple places we play it doesn't matter what I plug into ground lift switch or not you can you can tell if the ground that switched makes a difference or not but some places just buzz they got so many dimmers and lights and switches and signs and and mixers and all kinds of shit in there you just got to be smart with your volume control

There was a club I used to play back in the day that had a huge transformer behind the stage and neon signs on either side of the stage. If I stood in one certain spot with just the right orientation I could use my single coil positions with little buzz. If I moved just a few inches or twisted it was game over.

You may want to walk around various spots on the stage and mark off with tape where the worst or best places to stand are.

Played in a club once that had the restaurant microwave on the same circuit I plugged into. It was maddening. Another place had neon bar signs on the same circuit. Another was famous for voltage brown outs. Bought a Furman with a Voltage Regulator in it. Never had an issue again. Pricey but damn well worth it. Digital equipment hates voltage spam.

I'll second the curse of the neon sign buzz. One place we used to play had neon beer signs all along the back wall of the stage. We found if we turned them all off, the buzz went away.

We had a neon light buzz at a venue,( neon all around the room) played there 5 years, couldn't get anything to help till I built a power distro and ran it over the ceiling to the main power box and wired it in direct,( isolated circuit). Fixed it for us. Also at a church I play at the light dimmers are on the right side of stage and buzzes like crazy , left side minimal buzz. nothing has helped there to this point. I just stay to left side. Had the same issue at a theatre in Kansas, it was probably the worst I've experienced, could hear it while the band played, nothing helped there either, I tried to get the tech guys to isolate the dimmers in a foil lined box, but they wouldn't. I believe it would work.

There was a club I used to play back in the day that had a huge transformer behind the stage and neon signs on either side of the stage. If I stood in one certain spot with just the right orientation I could use my single coil positions with little buzz. If I moved just a few inches or twisted it was game over.

I was stupid enough to build my music room in the basement right beside the main distribution panel for the whole house. There's also two freezers in the room with the panel. So I get major buzzing.

Also, I have a small humidifier in the music room because the air get so dry here in Canada in the winter that all of my guitar necks start to bend backwards. When it cycles on it adds a very noticeable buzzing.

I steadfastly refuse to play any venue where I cannot duck walk. A dude has to have his principles.

Back
Top Bottom