Wish Harmonic generator with level controls for each harmonic

Proposed block: Harmonic generator. Mathematically generates the overdrive harmonic sequence, from first harmonic to the highest audible harmonics.
Every harmonic's level is individually controlled via sliders. Like a graphic equalizer, but it works on individual harmonics, not specific frequencies.

This would allow "impossible" harmonic profiles to be generated. Such as a preset where the harmonics are ONLY third and fourth, and all the rest are inaudible.
It would permit overdrives to be created that literally can not be implemented in tubes, or in solid state for that matter, without adding additional circuitry and filtering.

I'd call this block the "Overdrive Workshop" or "Harmonic Workshop".

Proposed block: Harmonic generator. Mathematically generates the overdrive harmonic sequence, from first harmonic to the highest audible harmonics.
Every harmonic's level is individually controlled via sliders. Like a graphic equalizer, but it works on individual harmonics, not specific frequencies.

This would allow "impossible" harmonic profiles to be generated. Such as a preset where the harmonics are ONLY third and fourth, and all the rest are inaudible.
It would permit overdrives to be created that literally can not be implemented in tubes, or in solid state for that matter, without adding additional circuitry and filtering.

I think you just described a pitch shifter (albeit with a few more voices). :)

A pitch shifter is totally different. This would allow you to custom craft distortion with control over its harmonic content in ways that nothing else offers. And since harmonics determine timbre, you could, for example, match your guitar's output to something very similar to the timbre of a violin or cello....or even bagpipes. :coldsweat:

Interesting idea. I’ve never heard of additive synthesis being used for that purpose, but it’s not a whole lot different in terms of cpu load than the current synth modes. While it would allow you to get some novel sounds, I suspect it would be rather tedious to dial in a pleasing distortion though. A wave shaper GUI would probably work better. The big limitation would be that it would be monophonic (Unless you’re suggesting this for some hypothetical amp modeler of the distant future).

Fair enough. My task is to suggest what might be worth doing. Others have the task of deciding if it's possible, or worth doing.

It seems to me that the fundamental difference between two different amps that have different distortion characteristics is their specific mix of harmonics. How or if this information can become the basic concept for a programmable harmonic generator block is beyond my field of expertise.

I was under the impression that the harmonics and their amplitudes were already defined within the models, but math of that level is admittedly above my pay grade.

It seems to me that the fundamental difference between two different amps that have different distortion characteristics is their specific mix of harmonics. How or if this information can become the basic concept for a programmable harmonic generator block is beyond my field of expertise.
You’ve described harmonic distortion. But there’s also intermodulation distortion. You get that any time you’re playing more than just one string. A series of harmonics can’t duplicate that.

I was under the impression that the harmonics and their amplitudes were already defined within the models, but math of that level is admittedly above my pay grade.
Not directly, no. What you’re asking for is resynthesis, which is very doable in real-time, but only monophonically. More importantly, it wouldn’t be a very friendly user experience.

Speaking of harmonics this plugin is interesting, although I don't see how this can be applied to a guitar signal. It's based on musical key rather than the pitch of a note.

Somewhat related, maybe the harmonics part could be adapted to the AXE with the pitch block?

Last edited:
I can only guess that some day, modellers will have the processing power and someone will write the algorithms and code required to create the block I'm imagining. Just not yet.

I can only guess that some day, modellers will have the processing power and someone will write the algorithms and code required to create the block I'm imagining. Just not yet.
What you are describing would be like a synthesizer where the guitar would do nothing more than select the note to play and modulate the level. It would be like playing a (really bad) MIDI guitar where the timbre of the note is static and all you can do is change the envelope.

I doubt that's what you, or anyone else, would want.

Let me go back to the concept in my head.

Take the best sounding overdriven guitar tone you've ever heard. Your personal favorite.
Now imagine if you could individually control the level of every harmonic generated by that overdrive. Second, third, fourth, eleventh...whatever. All harmonics within hearing range. And in doing so, change the character of that overdrive. Make it more "tubelike" or more "solid state", or single ended or push-pull in nature. Be able to, if you wish, complete suppress specific harmonics, or accentuate them.

Of course this isn't a fixed frequency issue, it's a very dynamic process. Guitars don't generate simple sine waves at a fixed frequency. You'd have to write code that dynamically creates the selected mix of harmonics not only for the note being played, but for all the notes and harmonics in the input signal, all at once. And then intermodulation distortion has to be calculated and added in, and yeah, I can see that this is going to require a lot of processing power and I can't even make a realistic guess as to what the DSP code would look like.

Let me go back to the concept in my head.

Take the best sounding overdriven guitar tone you've ever heard. Your personal favorite.
Now imagine if you could individually control the level of every harmonic generated by that overdrive. Second, third, fourth, eleventh...whatever. All harmonics within hearing range. And in doing so, change the character of that overdrive. Make it more "tubelike" or more "solid state", or single ended or push-pull in nature. Be able to, if you wish, complete suppress specific harmonics, or accentuate them.
The thing is, you’d lose the dynamic nature of the distortion. Hit a note and let it ring out. You’ll hear the sound change as the amp wanders in and out of saturation (depending on gain staging, volume, etc.). That gives life and bounce and feel to the tone. Even capacitive effect can affect that in real time. What you propose would replace that with a static blend of harmonics and intermod. It would sound and feel very much like a synth.

You're looking at it from a "we know how to do it THIS WAY" point of view. What I have in mind is more of a "distortion generator that generates harmonics in a user controllable manner" instead. The fantasy way that's not really possible yet, rather than the real world way that won't give the desired results.

I guess it's just not yet possible to do what I'm imagining. Fine. Maybe the day will come when it can be done. It may have to wait until AI is incorporated into the Axe-FX V or something.....

Back
Top Bottom