Harmonic Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get harmonic feedback in every modeler I've ever tried, independent of modeler quality. In fact it's hard NOT to get feedback at certain guitar angles relative to the speaker output at high volume. It's really just the speaker feeding through the pickups when loud enough and your facing it. Not sure i understand the question really. And the feedback all sounds the same to my ears no matter what I'm using.

Last edited:
I can get harmonic feedback in every modeler I've ever tried, independent of modeler quality. In fact it's hard NOT to get feedback at certain guitar angles relative to the speaker output at high volume. It's really just the speaker feeding through the pickups when loud enough and your facing it. Not sure i understand the question really. And the feedback all sounds the same to my ears no matter what I'm using.
25 years of using digital guitar gear and this mirrors my experience. Turn it up, works like an amp. Full stop.

the conversion rate definitely effects the quality, depth and resolution of the signal. 44k is not as detailed as 96k for example. The differences are small but they are there.
At any frequency where you'd want feedback, 44K is so far above the Nyquist frequency that it makes no difference to the end result. 96K doesn't give you any more "detail" (unless you're talking about dogs-only ultrasonic frequencies), buy it does let you get away with a gentler anti-aliasing filter.

i can get feedback out of an electric guitar plugged straight into a mixer if the volume is right. the guitar has to be setup well and the string needs to be ringing free of dirt or fret problems.

feedback = volume. it's physics, not modelers.

At any frequency where you'd want feedback, 44K is so far above the Nyquist frequency that it makes no difference to the end result. 96K doesn't give you any more "detail" (unless you're talking about dogs-only ultrasonic frequencies), buy it does let you get away with a gentler anti-aliasing filter.
I was referring to sample rate which is where the subject of conversion comes in. Not frequency.

I would certainly never want to hear a guitar with 44khz.... even if I could. Talk about “tinny” :)

Just for clarification: I know that feedback is possible from a modeler. What I was referencing was in comparison to the type of harmonic feedback that tube amp can generate.

I was referring to sample rate which is where the subject of conversion comes in. Not frequency.
Sample rate and frequency are intimately connected. The sample rate determines the highest frequency you can accurately reproduce. It has no other effect on sound.

I would certainly never want to hear a guitar with 44khz.... even if I could. Talk about “tinny” :)
True dat. :)

Last edited:
Nope. Nor are they allowed to inject sarcasm. :tearsofjoy:
I'm trying for levity but I guess it's failing?

@Mindfunk27 You said:

I agree
but I do think the conversion does play a role. Especially in the type of feedback that occurs.

It really doesn't. It's all down to volume. If you like what's coming out when it's not feeding back, you'll like what's coming out when it's feeding back.

But then you said:

the conversion rate definitely effects the quality, depth and resolution of the signal. 44k is not as detailed as 96k for example. The differences are small but they are there.

I think the quality of feedback loop and the order of harmonics are effected by quality of input.

with that said... I didn’t intend on debate or argument, but a friendly conversation. my time is limited and detailed responses are hard for me to do
Unfortunately making a statement, but then saying "I'm too busy to discuss this" isn't going to fly well on a...discussion forum.

You can't drop a bomb of an opinion like "conversion does play a role. Especially in the type of feedback that occurs." and not back that up with...some facts. Because physics and my experience all say this isn't the case. At all. I've run the gamut of digital gear over the last 25 years and it's all behaved exactly as you'd expect when the volume gets loud enough. It fed back just like analog gear.

I might buy that some algorithms didn’t handle high frequency content well, but that’s down to the code not the A/D.

What, in your experience, has lead you to think sample rate of a digital device impacts your ability to get feedback the same way as you would with an analog amp and cabinet setup?

Last edited:
what's the sample rate of a real amp?

if i use the drive block to drop the sample rate low, and i still get feed back from a speaker, is that relevant to this discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom