Harmonic Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfunk27

Hey guys!

min preparation for the FM3, I was watching Marco’s live stream and noticed a nice quality of feedback.
In the past, the lack of feedback in modelers has been a deterrent (I used a helix when it first came out). However, I know we are in a place where the processing and feel is better than ever.

was just wondering if anyone has had success with harmonic feedback?

I've done it, but I need to crank my monitor and play with the distance to the monitor/guitar, just like the old days.

Doesn't' work with in ears lol.

I've done it, but I need to crank my monitor and play with the distance to the monitor/guitar, just like the old days.

Doesn't' work with in ears lol.
Yeah man!
In the past, it was awfully hard to get good harmonic feedback. Even with loud monitors.

hoping maybe the better detail may bring some better feedback

@Mindfunk27 try searching the database here too. I believe @Mark Day was able to simulate feed black using a pitch block but I can’t remember the exact process.

I have an old combo amp that I run one of the outputs to with a volume pedal in-line for when I need to record specific feedback.

@Mindfunk27 try searching the database here too. I believe @Mark Day was able to simulate feed black using a pitch block but I can’t remember the exact process.

I have an old combo amp that I run one of the outputs to with a volume pedal in-line for when I need to record specific feedback.
That’s a good idea.
I was hoping that when the a/d d/a conversions get better we would have a more natural reaction.

looking forward to this thing

It's not about how "good" the A/D D/A conversion is. It's about acoustic feedback between the speaker and the guitar. If there's enough of that present, you get feedback. If there's not enough, you don't.
I agree
but I do think the conversion does play a role. Especially in the type of feedback that occurs.

LOL
Challenge accepted! Gonna be a couple days since my gear is at the practice space but I’ll try to put my money (er, feedback) where my mouth is...
So how many days are you going to keep the recording going? I think 2 should be sufficient to support your claim ;)

I think the conversion does play a role. Especially in the type of feedback that occurs.
How can the conversion affect feedback type? And what "types" are you referring to?

Think @Mindfunk27 meant to say the 'sound/quality' of the feedback. I may be wrong.

Feedback is an audio loop. Doesn't matter if it's a guitar and amp/FRFR, or a microphone and monitor/PA.
It starts because of acoustic energy but immediately continues on as a loop because of electrical energy.
The entire signal path is going to affect the sound quality of any feedback.

the conversion rate definitely effects the quality, depth and resolution of the signal. 44k is not as detailed as 96k for example. The differences are small but they are there.

I think the quality of feedback loop and the order of harmonics are effected by quality of input.

with that said... I didn’t intend on debate or argument, but a friendly conversation. my time is limited and detailed responses are hard for me to do

Last edited:
If you're recording, you can compress the crap out of the monitors you're listening to if they're in the room with the player, but don't record that. Works great.

If you're recording, you can compress the crap out of the monitors you're listening to if they're in the room with the player, but don't record that. Works great.

^^^ yup!
With guitar you can use studio monitors as well as you can a guitar cab for getting feedback.
You just have to find the sweet spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom