Hang guitars on wall?

OT, sort of.

Scott: What are you using for humidity control? Where I live we need moisture in the air to keep the humidity at around 50%. All of the "home based" humidifiers we have used suck. The last thing I want to hear is a humidifier fan blasting off!

I have a humidifier on my home furnace. It is adjustable, I pay attention. It works.

I hang all of mine except for the 2013 Angus Young Signature SG. The nut is so narrow on that thing it makes me think it is better off stored in the case...just in case.

Make sure you do not hang any guitars where there is a heat duct blowing upward. I had a 12 string Ovation near one and it caused a warp in the neck. I got most of the warp out by adjusting the truss rod but I can still see a slight one right where the neck joins the body. This is why I keep all my guitars in cases now, but to each their own. I have a bunch of guitar hangers I would be willing to sell if someone is interested. Ill check and see how many I have but I think I have at least 5 or 6 and they are nice ones to.

Make sure you do not hang any guitars where there is a heat duct blowing upward. I had a 12 string Ovation near one and it caused a warp in the neck. I got most of the warp out by adjusting the truss rod but I can still see a slight one right where the neck joins the body. This is why I keep all my guitars in cases now, but to each their own. I have a bunch of guitar hangers I would be willing to sell if someone is interested. Ill check and see how many I have but I think I have at least 5 or 6 and they are nice ones to.

Keep the hanging guitars away from all heating and cooling ducts as the air coming out is very dry sumer or winter (or very wet if your forced air is humidified). Fret sprout, wood delamination, fingerboard separating from neck if the woods expand/contract at different rates, and binding separation are all possible pretty quick.

Hydronic heat keeps humidity more stable but it is difficult to humidify the whole house w/o forced air. If you have forced air the Honeywell steam system which use a 1.5" hole for a steam jet in the duct look easy to install if you have supply water nearby.

A nice acoustic with a thin spruce top makes the best hygrometer: When the cracks in the spruce hit 1/16" it's time to fill the humidifier!

Thanks! This kind of hangers are probably closest to what I'm thinking about: https://www.stringswing.com/product/cc15lp-2pc-horizontal-holder-low-profile
Grip studios are special looking but still normal "hooks" in functionality. Same with the hercules as far as I could tell.

Noone built their own solution? Like a floor multi guitar stand mounted on wall maybe?

Skickat från min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk

Why do you need custom hooks? I think those from stringswing.com are perfect, not too expensive and look good and allow you to hang your guitars vertically/horizontally,diagonally depending on your preferences. I'd stop my search here:encouragement:

Why do you need custom hooks? I think those from stringswing.com are perfect, not too expensive and look good and allow you to hang your guitars vertically/horizontally,diagonally depending on your preferences. I'd stop my search here:encouragement:

I finally ordered a bunch of hangers from HangEmHigh... I can hang them sideways at any angle. They're wood which will fit the room very well, with wooden panels everywhere...

Been looking at wall-hanging my guitars and stumbled across this old thread...

Wondering if more people could chime in with advise of how they've gone about doing this(best mounting options available etc) ? OR is there a reason why you'd never wall-mount a guitar? I've read lots of conflicting advise lately regarding this subject.

I was looking at http://diamondlifegear.com/guitar_hanger_mx.html?my=2#a and read the following information on their site that concerned me.

Are the cushions safe for guitars with nitro-cellulose finishes?

Unfortunately, no guitar hangers have completely nitro cellulose safe cushions, ours included.

• > As we understand it, damage can occur in two ways: the material used for the cushion 'out-gasses' causing the lacquer to stain, or the cushion prohibits air and moisture movement from the wood of the guitar through the finish causing it to stain.
  • > There are accessory items that address either of these problems, but not both. Leather covers can be purchased (Ingles #SA-10HC) that allow the wood/finish to breathe, but they do not completely stop the cushion gasses from passing through to the finish. There are 'gas-free' cushion materials, but these are relatively expensive and, like the leather covers, address just half the potential problem.

G'day,
The only downside (which I encountered in my studio) is that if you are recording vocals etc, some guitars (particularly acoustic or semi acoustic) will resonate in sympathy with the vocals. This is a subtle effect but exists if you listen to the isolated vocal tracks and is something to watch out for. I have partially solved this by hanging the acoustics facing one of the treated (with acoustic foam) walls. The guitars sit face towards the foam, and the strings make contact with it, thereby deadening them.

Don't get me started on ringinh drums in the studio!.. they are worse.

Thanks
Pauly

I have thought about this and asked a lot of questions to luthier friends. My conclusion, which I don't love....is to leave them in their cases. That was the luthier recommendation....IF they are nitro finish on the neck. I actually bought a les paul that was hung for a long time, and there are permanent marks on the contact points. It really impacted the resale value.

I love to walk in and look at my guitars on a rack....but I currently have most of them in their cases.

I have thought about this and asked a lot of questions to luthier friends. My conclusion, which I don't love....is to leave them in their cases. That was the luthier recommendation....IF they are nitro finish on the neck. I actually bought a les paul that was hung for a long time, and there are permanent marks on the contact points. It really impacted the resale value.

I love to walk in and look at my guitars on a rack....but I currently have most of them in their cases.
Unfortunately I've reached the same conclusion for my nitro finish guitars

1st if a guitar can be damaged by the weight of the guitar hanging from the headstock like it did for an unknown period of time at the store before you bought it it's a piece of crap and you got hosed.

2nd if you live in CA (or anywhere around the ring of fire) I'd seriously think twice about hanging guitars from the wall because I've ridden out a few exciting earthquakes and I was glad by babies weren't jumping out of wall hangars onto the ground. Strap 'em down tight.

I imagine the whole thing separating from the wall. Colorado isn't really earthquake country, not like California.

Back
Top Bottom