Hang guitars on wall?

Thanks for the pics! Impressive collections of geetarz there... :)
In the old house I had a guitar stand where my 2 favourites always were,the rest was in their cases, being picked out on occasion.
I've had no issues with damage to the 2 favourites, and I have no climate control regarding humidity. I live in North Sweden where winters are VERY cold and dry, and summers are decently warm.
Temperatures vary between -25 C and +25 C, humidity can go as low as 20-25% in winter to 75-80 in summer.
Of course, I have to adjust truss rod two times a year, and new guitars from abroad will need a sharp fretend treatment after about a year.

Seems like normal hangers where guitars only hang by the neck is safe and perhaps the easiest/cheapest way to go.

I wondered about hanging heavy set neck guitars and whether it could possibly put too much pressure on the glued joint?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Hercules or String Swings are hard to go wrong with. I have Hercules stands, but String Swing wall hangers. Both are fine, and nitro-safe.

I don't think hanging a guitar will damage it as long as the wall hanger is secure and you're not hanging a nitro finished guitar on a non nitro-safe hanger.

Do you guys see any downside to wall hangers?

I often think about going the wall hanger route, but I'm always questioning if it could damage the guitar in an way?
(Neck strain or anything like that, which may cause a stress crack on a heavy les paul maybe?)
Or am I just paranoid?

I've got somewhere around 30 guitars and some never leave the case because I don't have enough floor space.
Somebody tell me I'm crazy and that wall hangers are super safe, so I can get over this fear....
Paranoia. I would have put more guitars on the wall if I could, but my guitar room is soon to become a baby room. So I got a multi guitar rack instead for my 5 guitars. Very good move.. I play all my guitars regularly now. I managed to cram 5 guitar cases under the bed with other storage items. The room is so big now.

Not sure if wall hanging is a solution for 30 guitars..... dude

If you have an expensive guitar and want to protect the finish --- you might want to consider adding a hanger bra to your hook.

hbra.jpg

http://www.wrightwaymusicproducts.com/news.cfm

yeah, was going to mention about where the hanger contacts the neck. some cheap hangers have quite hard material on the hook - that's not good. cushioning material covering the hook is for sure a good idea.

I wondered about hanging heavy set neck guitars and whether it could possibly put too much pressure on the glued joint?

The weight of the guitar won't come remotely close to offsetting the tension of the strings. Put another way, if breaking a string doesn't damage the glue joint, hanging the guitar certainly won't.

OT, sort of.

Scott: What are you using for humidity control? Where I live we need moisture in the air to keep the humidity at around 50%. All of the "home based" humidifiers we have used suck. The last thing I want to hear is a humidifier fan blasting off!

I use Hercules as well- don't have that many guitars (7-8 maybe) but I like having them out and available for quick access. I used to rack them in stands, but I find they get less dings and they're secure from my little girl (2 yr. old). I cut a long 2x4 to length and mounted it to studs using dry wall screws and then mounted the Hercules hangers on the 2x4. Helped add a little distance from the wall as well. They've been fantastic- wish I had done it years ago. Adds floor space for my collection of amps as well.

for 25.5" scale, EADGBE: -
.08 - 0.038 = 71 lbs tension
.09 - 0.042 = 85 lbs
.012 - 0.054 = 148 lbs

a strat can be fitted with .012 set no problem at all. big variance in tension just by changing string gauge; shows how insignificant the 7 lbs self weight really is.

I'm looking to do the same thing. My guitar collection is pushing around 30 now and I'm running out of real estate on the floor. I'm probably going to end up getting this to get some of them up on the wall...

Guitar Hanger MX™ | Multiple Guitar Hanging System by diamondLife

This looks very nice. However, contacted them and the shipping cost to europe exceed the cost for one strip and six hangers...
Add to that customs fee and tax, and the total cost is insane... Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom