Guthrie Govan Leaves Suhr!!! :S....

This is a very silly thread on a multiple of levels. But I'm sure everyone here knows that already. A lot of people make the assumption that endorsees get paid for endorsements. Things certainly may have changed but this is not my understanding of how it goes. I've had a couple of great endorsement deals in my day. Fender for several years. They gave me a guitar and always got me amps and a technician whenever and where ever I was playing out of state or the country. But most companies, even the big ones, exchange in gear. That's the "money" exchange.

But all deals are written differently. Even product placement in TV shows, like Ford cars in 24 or Dexter or Apple products. It's never (I think I can say that conclusively) money that changes hands with those big companies. It's products. There are other incentives.

Govan is without doubt one of the biggest names in electric guitar right now. Not a clue what his actual endorsement deal is (and zero care, to be honest), and not going to speculate about his position.
IMO, the thread just appears to be a "heads up" about a popular great player changing guitars, nothing wrong with that.

Govan is without doubt one of the biggest names in electric guitar right now. Not a clue what his actual endorsement deal is (and zero care, to be honest), and not going to speculate about his position.
IMO, the thread just appears to be a "heads up" about a popular great player changing guitars, nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But after 9 pages? For one I don't care what he plays or whether he left what company for whatever reason. I know a lot of people do and that's great. But I just think all the speculation and drama is silly, to me, as an outside observer. That's all. Go ahead and continue. Pay no attention.

I have listened to Guthrie live some time ago with Aristocrats. Guthrie was re-tuning all the time after each song. I know that the guy has very sensitive ears, but I could not help but think that his guitar had tuning issues.

I do not know if this has anything to do with this last news, but I wonder whether Guthrie's model will include a locked bridge. A Charvel with a Wilkinson type bridge would certainly be interesting:)

How do you dare to curse in the church of guitar heroes :shock
LOL! Well when did I say anything about a guitar hero? I was talking about the silly thread about what he plays. Not about him or his playing. LOL. He's a GREAT player. That's what I admire. Not his guitar.

LOL! Well when did I say anything about a guitar hero? I was talking about the silly thread about what he plays. Not about him or his playing. LOL. He's a GREAT player. That's what I admire. Not his guitar.
Hi Henry first of all I appreciate your insight on endorsements. But to call this thread silly is a little judgemental of you. Because after 2 or 3 pages this thread was more about Suhr guitars,their playability,and various other matters. And as for me I just shared this info when I got to know about it,just like anyone would when they post on other forums and things. But there was a lot of other stuff discussed on this thread besides Guthrie leaving Suhr.

I have listened to Guthrie live some time ago with Aristocrats. Guthrie was re-tuning all the time after each song. I know that the guy has very sensitive ears, but I could not help but think that his guitar had tuning issues.

I do not know if this has anything to do with this last news, but I wonder whether Guthrie's model will include a locked bridge. A Charvel with a Wilkinson type bridge would certainly be interesting:)

Take a look at the concert that was posted earlier in the thread :)

I have a GG Suhr and it's no different in this department than other high end guitars. Once set up properly, it stays in tune.
It's a fine guitar with an excellent set of features. But what I like most about it is that when I play it, I sound exactly like Guthrie, can play just as well and amazingly enough, know all of his songs. However, now I feel that I've stagnated and need a Charvel to continue improving.

A lot of people make the assumption that endorsees get paid for endorsements
Reasonable to assume $/£s are involved in this case, as govan has his own "signature model" under his own name. Can't see the point of a signature guitar if they don't get paid royalties for it.

maybe it's a silly thread to some then; it's the internet - what's new :D

Hi Henry first of all I appreciate your insight on endorsements. But to call this thread silly is a little judgemental of you. Because after 2 or 3 pages this thread was more about Suhr guitars,their playability,and various other matters. And as for me I just shared this info when I got to know about it,just like anyone would when they post on other forums and things. But there was a lot of other stuff discussed on this thread besides Guthrie leaving Suhr.
I'm sorry, but it's silly to me. But I said it was an outside view. I'm not a Suhr guy or a Govan guy. From an outsider point of view (mine) it seems silly. I have the right to think things are silly, don't you think?

Guthrie seems to have been playing that one guitar for over a year now. I hardly think he would keep playing a guitar with such problems for long. He was tuning the Charvel a couple of times too. i think he plays some songs in non-standard tuning.

immortal_soloist - Funny that you mention about your guitar getting damaged by an airline. Guthrie just had to cancel a gig tonight in the Canary islands because Air Berlin wouldn't leave him carry on his "prototype, currently-one-of-a-kind Charvel" in the cabin of their plane.
They were insisting he put it in the hold but he only had a soft case so wouldn't take that chance.
He even offered to pay for an extra ticket but they weren't having any of it.
Posted on facebook by The Aristocrats today.

Holy shit. Cancelled a show because he didn't have a specific guitar? Um

Actually that makes a lot of sense. Can you expect an ice skater to perform on a show with a new pair of ice skating shoes? It doesn't happen you need to get used to something at first even if it is very similar to the original specs of the instrument you have been playing. As for why he didn't take the guitar,look let me tell you something don't ever and I mean ever let the flight attendants take your guitar in as a non hand carry baggage if it's in a soft shell case. Guthrie had his guitar in a soft shell case and they weren't allowing him to hand carry it,that happened to me once and I regret giving my guitar to them.
If you guitar is in a hardshell case then you're safe,if not then make sure you hand carry it even if you have change your flight do that but don't take this risk.

It is more than that.
He would have to leave the guitar behind.

There would have been a solution though- unscrew the neck from the body and put the neck and body in his suitcase (assuming it is a bolt on).
I've done this in the past when flying with guitars and dealing with officious staff at airlines.

This is one of the reasons why I play a headless guitar- it comes in under the baggage length limit and I can always carry it on.

That's cool Spazi,shall be waiting for your reply.

Hi, sorry for this late reply. I've been very sick lately, so I didn't have time to talk to my guitar tech until yesterday.
He said that Guthrie was very honest about it, one of the reasons why he stopped playing Suhr and went to Charvel was that Suhr "bakes" the neck. It's supposed to make it sound better?
Either way, from what I understand there is a chance that it doesn't last forever. Guthrie said that one day his guitar was just unplayable. Maybe that could explain his tuning issues that someone mentioned.
Sad, Suhr seems like really nice guitars :(

Hi, sorry for this late reply. I've been very sick lately, so I didn't have time to talk to my guitar tech until yesterday.
He said that Guthrie was very honest about it, one of the reasons why he stopped playing Suhr and went to Charvel was that Suhr "bakes" the neck. It's supposed to make it sound better?
Either way, from what I understand it doesn't last forever. Guthrie said that one day his guitar was just unplayable.
Sad, Suhr seems like really nice guitars :(
Bake the neck?
I know you have the option of roasted necks,as far as I remember they are better in humid climates and all. Not too sure,someone correct me if I am wrong. Suhr are nice guitars,I guess sometimes one loses an interest in a guitar. As long as he is happy that's what matters. There are still loads of folks with Suhr so good luck to Guthrie and Suhr. It was good while it lasted. On a different I am waiting for the completion of my Suhr custom 7 string. I hope everything turns out well.
P.S: No need for apologizes man,I appreciate you remembering my request so thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom