Guitars- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Pardon me. I meant strandberg, because I thought the fan/multi scale Kiesel (?) was a strandberg or one of those brands, eunicx your Right I don’t see any Biden guitars either , but if I did, I definitely wouldn’t buy one :) just kidding

Anyways it’s a beautiful guitar you got anyway, no offense intended, just don’t like multi scale and I cant play 8+ string guitars so I’m a little jealous
I suspect you mean the Aristedes guitar?

I think the Majesty got quite a few mentions here (not necessarily good ones ;) ).

Quite an achievement though to rank #2 in signature guitars sold (after the Les Paul, which is of course impossible to beat):

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/john-petrucci-majesty-second-highest-selling-signature
My experience is there's not much middle ground with the Majesty. I didn't like it when I first played one, now I love it.
I'd suspect John has a lot to do with the sales as well. I read that the JP6 held that distinction of #2 as well, before the Majesty came along.

The good; Peavey T-60.

Great feel, great tone, built like a tank.

The bad: Peavey T-60.

The neck is just a bit too narrow for the string spacing. It's too easy to pull the high E string off the fingerboard. And the coil-tap-with-tone-knob feature is clever, but it required design compromises that make the tone knobs useless. A traditional coil-tap switch would work better.

The ugly: Peavey T-60.

It's like a Strat designed by someone with no aesthetic sense.

The good; Peavey T-60.

The neck is just a bit too narrow for the string spacing. It's too easy to pull the high E string off the fingerboard. And the coil-tap-with-tone-knob feature is clever, but it required design compromises that make the tone knobs useless. A traditional coil-tap switch would work better.

Ha! I had a Peavey T-15 with the plastic case and built-in amp. The neck was 23.5 inch scale!

Reactions: Rex
The good; Peavey T-60.

Hah! I really like mine. I dig the neck, but I agree with the tone knob feature being more gimmicky than useful - I do use it a bunch and think it can sound pretty good, but yeah, it's really not ideal.

I don't think it's ugly at all though :)

Reactions: Rex
The Good: A Fender MIJ Strat with big headstock with a kinda ugly cream color and rosewood neck (I like black with maple neck) and a 21 fret (I'm a 22 fret minimum kinda guy. But god did it play nice. It was to be my take into the grave guitar until it got stolen. 2nd place to a MIK Strat with a V-shaped neck that felt way more comfortable in my hand then I had originally expected.

The Bad: A Fender MIA black Strat that I had ordered, all black, maple neck and big CBS headstock. And instead it had a rosewood neck and standard Strat headstock. I was SO disappointed.

The Ugly: Headless monstrosities. If you like them, more power to ya, but to me you just look like a guy or gal playing a guitar hero controller. They can play like a dream, I am sure they do, but I just can't cruise past that lack of a headstock. Which to me is just the most important identify defining part of a guitar.

Hah! I really like mine. I dig the neck, but I agree with the tone knob feature being more gimmicky than useful - I do use it a bunch and think it can sound pretty good, but yeah, it's really not ideal.

I don't think it's ugly at all though :)
Okay, maybe it’s not butt-ugly. But it does look like it was designed by someone who knew he had to give it some kind of shape, so he started drawing curves. :)

G - by FAR my cheapest guitar…a MIM Strat I got as part of a deal for a Marshall JCM800 that I just wasn’t digging. The music store - some mom-n-pop in Southern Virginia - dude just waved me towards about a dozen MIM Strats and told me he’d throw one in as part of the deal. I randomly picked one as it was my first Strat and damn if over the years that guitar isn’t the one on the majority of stuff I’ve recorded. Of course it needed pickups (SD JB Jr in the bridge and SD Antiquity‘s for mid and neck) and a setup. I’ve had a few high dollar Strats since then as well and I’ll be damned in that random MIM guitar doesn’t hold its own.

B - Ugh. And I made the same mistake TWICE ! Remember in like 2005ish Gibson was making “gothic” Explorers and Flying V’s ? Well I’ve always loved Explorers (and already had one - a 1982 E2) so thought I’d order one of the Gibson Gothic Explorers. Turned out to be a monumental piece of shit. Felt like it was made of cardboard and sounded just as bad. So like a true fool I figured I’d try again but with a V. Same cardboard crap. Sold both within days.

U - I was a HUGE Dimebag Darrel fan so just had to have a Dean ML. Blech. The headstock was way larger than I thought it would be and was comical in an almost cartoon way. Like something Wile E Coyote would play.

...just had to have a Dean ML. Blech. The headstock was way larger than I thought it would be and was comical in an almost cartoon way. Like something Wile E Coyote would play.
That is a perfect description. :) Between the body and the headstock, the neck is almost an afterthought.

Back
Top Bottom